100mpg from diesel hatchback?? - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Country: United States
100mpg from diesel hatchback??

Hi

I'm from England and have recently developed a strong interest in FE. With diesel costing $12 per gallon equivalent, I am in the process of buying a small VW 1.4 turbo diesel hatchback, see spec here-


http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...ar/?car=107360

This car can obtain 78.5 mpg on country roads/ freeways, and this is where I do 95% of my driving . So, how easy/ difficult will it be to get 100mpg- a 30% improvement over manufacturers spec?

What changes have you guys had to make to your cars to get a 30% improvement in FE? I take it simply maintaining speed at 60mph ( our speed limit on country/ rural roads), coasting with engine off, inflating tires to slightly above tyre spec will not do the job?

A chip improves power by 30% but also torque by 40% so I will certianly be doing this, and it only costs $70

I would be smug as a bug in a rug if I could get 100mpg from a run of the mill diesel hatchback, it will be my project for the near future

Dave
__________________

Dave252252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave252252 View Post
Hi

I'm from England and have recently developed a strong interest in FE. With diesel costing $12 per gallon equivalent, I am in the process of buying a small VW 1.4 turbo diesel hatchback, see spec here-


http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...ar/?car=107360

This car can obtain 78.5 mpg on country roads/ freeways, and this is where I do 95% of my driving . So, how easy/ difficult will it be to get 100mpg- a 30% improvement over manufacturers spec?

What changes have you guys had to make to your cars to get a 30% improvement in FE? I take it simply maintaining speed at 60mph ( our speed limit on country/ rural roads), coasting with engine off, inflating tires to slightly above tyre spec will not do the job?

A chip improves power by 30% but also torque by 40% so I will certianly be doing this, and it only costs $70

I would be smug as a bug in a rug if I could get 100mpg from a run of the mill diesel hatchback, it will be my project for the near future

Dave
I'd say with hypermiling and some areo mods this is probably possible to hit 100 mpg in a vehicle like that. Have you considered also making your own biodiesel? You can usually get waste peanut oil from restaurants for free, and if your are willing to invest a little time you can make biodiesel to supplement your diesel fuel purchases, lowering your average cost per gallon.
__________________

__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Country: United States
Thats encouraging to hear!

I have used veg oil in the past on an older 1.9 turbo diesel VW engine, I just bought the stuff from supermarkets and used it straight out of the bottle.

That was when it cost $0.80 per litre 3 years ago. Now it costs $2.10 per litre

Restaurants/ takeaways are not interested in letting me take away their waste oil, even though they have to pay to dispose of it On ebay waste stuff costs $1.40 per litre, and you have to process/ travel to collect, with the reduced FE it does not really make it worthwhile.

I will look into areo mods, this car is a bit 'boxy', quite poor areodynamically
Dave252252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Vegetable oil is NOT the same as biodiesel. Biodiesel is refined mainly from vegetable oil but the resulting material is very different.

Most improvements that people achieve are from driving strategies, not modifications. Some aerodynamic modifications can help, and inflating tires to their maximum (instead of the recommendation from the car manufacturer) can help if it doesn't make your car handle badly.

The chip that increases power most likely does the job by sacrificing efficiency, so expect your FE to go down as a result.

Some of the common driving strategies may not affect diesel engines. For example, strategies whose purpose is to reduce pumping losses from the closed throttle won't help, as diesel engines tend to lack a throttle...
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_BEEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,831
I would also say that the chip won't do a whole lot for you as far as FE (and would more than likely hurt it)

I would suggest a grill block and maybe some aero mods. also if you could keep your speeds a little lower like around 50MPH (not sure the kph equivalent). my car gets it's best mileage there rather than at 60. I know all cars are different depending on aero but if yours is "BOXY" as you say then the same should apply. maybe even a belly pan for better aero as well.

with fuel being so expensive over there, I can see some of the more elaborate techniques being more worth it to you than to us paying $4 a gallon in the states (even though that is high as well) oh and diesel being $5 (still nothing compared to your $12/gal).

can you post pics of this car of yours? I checked the link and couldn't find a pic of it. I am curious of it. I really wish we could get a car like that in the states.
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world
--Mahatma Gandhi



GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Vegetable oil is NOT the same as biodiesel. Biodiesel is refined mainly from vegetable oil but the resulting material is very different.

Most improvements that people achieve are from driving strategies, not modifications. Some aerodynamic modifications can help, and inflating tires to their maximum (instead of the recommendation from the car manufacturer) can help if it doesn't make your car handle badly.

The chip that increases power most likely does the job by sacrificing efficiency, so expect your FE to go down as a result.

Some of the common driving strategies may not affect diesel engines. For example, strategies whose purpose is to reduce pumping losses from the closed throttle won't help, as diesel engines tend to lack a throttle...

Surely the chip will increase FE? That is one of the promises made by all the manufacturers of these chips at least.

I would have thought that more torque = less power required for acceleration and to maintain any given speed? Do they not also lean out the fuel mixture? Im not really clued up all that much.
Dave252252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_BEEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,831
usually a leaner mix has less power than a richer mix. thus the resistor mod on the IAT sensor (incoming air temp) which tricks it into thinking that more oxygen is coming into the engine and makes you run richer thus giving you more power.

I don't know if they do that same thing on the diesels but ebay is bad about selling you a resistor to give you more power for gas engines.
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world
--Mahatma Gandhi



GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I would also say that the chip won't do a whole lot for you as far as FE (and would more than likely hurt it)

I would suggest a grill block and maybe some aero mods. also if you could keep your speeds a little lower like around 50MPH (not sure the kph equivalent). my car gets it's best mileage there rather than at 60. I know all cars are different depending on aero but if yours is "BOXY" as you say then the same should apply. maybe even a belly pan for better aero as well.

with fuel being so expensive over there, I can see some of the more elaborate techniques being more worth it to you than to us paying $4 a gallon in the states (even though that is high as well) oh and diesel being $5 (still nothing compared to your $12/gal).

can you post pics of this car of yours? I checked the link and couldn't find a pic of it. I am curious of it. I really wish we could get a car like that in the states.
Thanks for that!

I will post up a link to info about the chip, and people can tell me what they think.

$5 is CHEAP let me tell you. I know you guys have been used to $1.50 a gallon a few years ago, but its still cheap

I will post a pic of the car below.

We still use mph for our distances/ speed over here by the way. Screw the euro metric system.
Dave252252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
usually a leaner mix has less power than a richer mix. thus the resistor mod on the IAT sensor (incoming air temp) which tricks it into thinking that more oxygen is coming into the engine and makes you run richer thus giving you more power.

I don't know if they do that same thing on the diesels but ebay is bad about selling you a resistor to give you more power for gas engines.
Or how about selling you a 12Vdc fan and calling it an "Electric supercharger"

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Country: United States
All righty-

Here is two links to a chip/ re-programmed ecu company, they are the most trusted here in England. I can get the same thing for $70 instead of $900 as listed on their website


http://www.superchips.co.uk/benefits.php

Specific data for my car-

Improved fuel efficiency
In today's market with soaring fuel prices, a Superchips remap means improved fuel economy as well as improved perormance - saving you money in the long run.


Volkswagen Lupo TDI
2000 onwards
Engine type : Turbo-Diesel
Engine size : 1422 cm3
Cylinders : 3


Original bhp : 75
Original nm : 195
BHP increase : 31
NM gain : 59
Lb/Ft gain : 44



Pics of the car from a random ad on ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-VOLKSWAGE...3286.m14.l1318
__________________

Dave252252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arco gas - mileage poor jbum General Fuel Topics 9 07-07-2013 12:25 PM
All Licensed Drivers terrapin Fuelly Web Support and Community News 0 08-07-2008 10:49 AM
civic sedan or coupe which is better for FE yzfdallas General Fuel Topics 5 02-21-2008 07:59 AM
Amazed by the SGII GeekGuyAndy General Discussion (Off-Topic) 7 08-19-2007 12:25 AM
PepsiCo Connections? SVOboy General Discussion (Off-Topic) 3 10-12-2006 05:52 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.