1987 CR-X Si - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

1987 CR-X Si

My neighbor just got married and is moving. He is going to rent his place out, and he already has a guy that wants to rent it. He has to get everything out fast, including his project CR-X.

The CR-X was his daily driver for a while, and then the engine went south. He rebuilt a D16A1 engine and tranny from a 1987 Integra and did the swap. He never got the car to start. He suspects the fuel pump, since it was making a lot of noise the last time he tried to get it started. It could also be the distributor coil, which has been spliced at some point. The engine spins but doesn't fire. The guy knows what he is doing, as he is an Indy car engineer by trade (his busy schedule is why he never finished the car).

Bottom line: I am buying it to flip. The car is complete, and the shell is rust-free except for a spot around the windshield. It has the 13" alloys and a complete interior (tear in driver's seat). The brakes need redone, since the rotors are shot. I may re-do the brakes, but that will make the price go up.

I am thinking about trading the car for the paint work on my del Sol, plus some cash. I may put some pics up here in a few days when I get the car.

What do you think it's worth as-is? Anyone interested?

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: 1987 CR-X Si

If the paint and plastic fenders, side skirts and nose panel are all in good shape then I'd say it is worth $1,000-1,500 as is (not running). If any plastic panels are cracked, take off $100 per panel (they are getting hard to find).

A bad fuel pump would be an easy fix as it not inside the fuel tank (it is in front of the left rear wheel).

If it runs and looks good it should be worth at least $1,500 (no ac or cruise) - $2,250 (cold AC and cruise).

It will definitely be a fast and fun car with that engine swap and should get decent mileage (my 87 Integra would get 36-37mpg at 65mph in the summer on long trips).

Check out redpepperracing.com for lots of info about the 1st gen CRX as well as the engine swap that was done to this car (it is a popular swap).

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Re: 1987 CR-X Si

Thanks. I took possession of the car today. It has a coilover conversion on the rear, as well as a full brake conversion from an '87 Integra (needs installed). I also got a spare head to the original 1.5L, as well as spare intakes to the 1.5L and the Integra 1.6. A/C is removed, but I have all the parts. The shifter won't go into 1st or 2nd. SLIGHT surface rust on RR quarter panel, a tiny spot on the LR quarter. The front grille, bumper, bumper cover, and lights are removed, but I have them all. The original 4-hole 13-inch alloys are on the car with newer tires. Not too bad of a find.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote