1995 Civic VX - need your opinions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

1995 Civic VX - need your opinions

Guy states "unmolested 1995 VX only mod is short shifter." He listed mileage as 120k so I called him and he told me it has a swapped cluster reading 120k but actually has 200k+. Okay, that sucks. I hate people who do that.

Is the title clean? "Yes but I don't have it yet, still waiting on the mail" I just transferred a title and it came in 8 days, this guy already told me its been a few weeks... fishy.

Body: Dents in passenger and driver door, rear quarter rust pretty bad (though I did find the link to the replacement quarter panels for $32 here.. thanks )

It's still on VX wheels which is nice. Tire condition is unknown.

He lists the car as unmolested and ready for mods. Scary, its probably abused.

I haven't gone and looked at the car to verify the ECU matches correctly or to test drive it, though he says he'd drive it to Florida. (Easy to say that when he obviously just got the car... being that he's still waiting on the title and all. He probably doesn't know if the would make it around the block).

So he wants $1,800. Oh, and its some shade of dark green I think.

If I go and drive it and all the usual things check out, and its in fact a decent VX, what should I offer?

I was going to buy an '01 SC1 this past weekend and it got sold 2 hours before I got there. I still love the S-series, should I just wait for another SC1 to come along with verifiable mileage?

I only drive roughly 8k miles per year. This mileage game to me is just something to stay a little busy with and keeps me motivated to maintain my cars above average.

Your opinion matters, lets hear it!

Thanks

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

if you drive 8K a year (combined) I don't really see why it matters.

I would say to have fun with your other vehicles. the miata and the camaro in your signature.

but that's just me. I drive roughly 17k anually so mileage makes a big difference to me. it isn't that I don't have the money but more the fact that I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'd check it out further,

These cars are getting harder to find. Have him check numbers for you.

Dave
92 Prelude Si
Dave's Civic Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

I personally would just wait for the Saturn... Might be a little biased as I currently own a 2001 SC1, but have owned my fair share of Honda's too and just like the overall interior comfort of the Saturn better than a mid-90's Honda.

BUT... On the other side of things. If the FE thing is just a "fun" thing that you can do, it might be more fun in the VX that already starts out with a very high FE as it is "exciting" to see 40-50 mpg out of a car.

Currently seeing ~31 city mpg in my SC1, but it is an auto (blah... but needed a car fast and the manuals kept getting sold) and the temperatures just dropped. Hoping to possibly hit 40 mpg city eventually, and even considering a manual swap to help get there. (Also wife drives the car occasionally and lets the car idle to warm up, screwing up my FE... lol I cannot wait until it is warm and if she drives it, she will not need to let it sit).
Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, I like the styling of the SC1 better by far.

Parts are cheap and very VERY available (junkyards are flooded with Saturns in relatively good shape whereas the civics are totally picked over)

I just know with a HAI and the other things I've picked up on and incorporated into this SL2 (yeah my mileage is terrible at the moment, but I've nearly given up on this car due to severe oil useage) that I could see 40+ mpg routinely from a SOHC 5sp S-series.

Though, I sorta want to restore the VX and "flip it" WHEN gas goes back up. With no way to verify mileage, that would still leave the car in a "questionable" state when that time comes.

Weather is supposed to be back into mid 30's this week, maybe I'll see if the guy still has the VX.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

I actually just kinda did the same thing you talked about but with a '93 Civic DX coupe. Got it for free with a "blown" motor (nothing actually wrong with the motor, but the crank keyway was sheared out by a loose crank pulley). Did complete rebuild planning on keeping it as my FE vehicle, but then had a "friend" that wanted it so I basically traded from a '93 Civic DX Auto coupe with 186K on it to an '01 SC1 Auto (blah) with 120K. Actually probably overpaid on the Saturn because I did not find out until a week later when I went to title it that it has a rebuilt title (did find plenty of clues too) but still not bad for a straight up trade.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

I would not hesitate getting a 200K+ Honda. My del Sol has like 225K & it still has the original suspension, clutch, etc! But it was never a ricer either!

One thing since the invention of Ebay, one can always find parts for practically anything, good deals sometimes too! Won't be as easy as GM parts to find, but it's doable!

When gas prices get back up to where they were a few years back, you'll be smilin' like a big dog drivin' that VX! 50MPG's are pretty sweet! Besides a VX is not a common car like a Saturn.

I vote for the VX,
Dave

92 Prelude Si
Dave's Civic Duty is offline   Reply With Quote