1996-00 d16y7 to d16y5 (hx) swap - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

1996-00 d16y7 to d16y5 (hx) swap

Hello-

I have a 96 civic manual hatch that i am coverting to a hx setup. when i bought it is was bone stock with manual everything and a very solid run ning non vtec 1.6 motor in the dx trim level. I have since put hx rims on it with ebach sportline springs, s.t. sway bars, koni yellow shocks and a rear disk brake conversion with upgraded brake lines pads and fluid. I put in a k&n filter and the exhaust from a 96-00 ex (d16y8) and did a 80% front grill block leaving a hole for the radiator to get air. i run 5-20 synthetic (whatever is on sale) and as i have worked on the car gas milage has moved up from 28-30 to 33-35 with the latest tank (summer fuel) yielding 37.8 mixed driving. the car also performns much more strongly and i added several rolls of peel and seal to the interior or the car to quiet things down a bit.

I have hx:
vtec-e head
intake manifold
injectors
ecu
si-ex airbox

i need:
knock sensor
5 wire ecu

My questions are:

1. Do i need the hx wiring harness? or can i run some wires wires witrout it getting too crazy?

2. does anyone have a good source for a new 5 wire o2? I figure since that is such a major determinant of the sucess of my procject I will spring for a new one.

3. any issues i should be aware of with my little plan?

I am also going to make colorplast panels for the underbelly of the car and at least put the oem si airdam on the front. I am leaving the mirrors and wipers alone and will run performance orientred tires on the car at 40 psi(ish) and expect to get to around 45 mixed. we shall see.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks-

mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
Driving on E

for the wiring, I am guessing that there are only a few extra wires to add. THe DX should have a 4 wire o2 sensor now, so it's probably just one more wire. i think it's doable with a little patience.

You can get a new 5 wire o2 sensor on ebay for $170. Just search for "L1H1"

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
for the wiring, I am guessing that there are only a few extra wires to add. THe DX should have a 4 wire o2 sensor now, so it's probably just one more wire. i think it's doable with a little patience.

You can get a new 5 wire o2 sensor on ebay for $170. Just search for "L1H1"

Thanks for the tip on o2. I'l buy a 5 wire o2 and see how i would attch it to the harness. I guess i could solder directly to the existing 4 wires and skip the connector mating issue.
mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote