2 parter, need tires & i got 40MPG - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

2 parter, need tires & i got 40MPG

A Quick story
Well the sunday before last my mother took me and my sister down to some autoplace that was having a sale. Where she bought my sister and me "new" cars, I love my Mom. Sis got an '05 VW Golf auto and I got an '05 Chev Cobalt 5spd manny. It turned out to be cheaper to buy new cars ( monthly payment) than to maintain our older cars with worse mpg.

Anyways on my first 2 tanks of driving stick, learned on the first one. I got 33 and 41 mpg. I just want to boast a lil about that. 40mpg means that it only takes 3oz to go a mile... YES!!

I would like some advice on trying to find some LLR tires. Personally I am more used to looking for load E truck tires. Is there such a thing as a LLR all-season tire?

Rim size is 195/60-15
THANKS

Old 06-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

are the tires bad? id just drive the tires till they wear out then go looking... im sure the cost of new tires vs the saveing of gas from them cant be economical sicne u have good tires already...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
new tires, even LRR will take like almost the lifetime of the tire to break even. they probly won't ever if yours are still OK. just bump up the pressure to the sidewall max (or beyond) and drive em bald.

that is, unless you can sell them for a decent price.

there ARE load range E truck tires in 14" and 15" wheels BUT they aren't going to be less than 70 trim in that size.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Congratulations, you have joined the elite few who can drive a stick in today's America.

33 mpg to 40 in one tank is pretty fast learning.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

I ordered four this week. They are LRR tires, and 51 psi max. Nice!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....&model=HTR+200
195/60HR15
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 88H Price: $48.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
06/30/08
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

Those are nice and light also. Good choice. Did you go with a tire narrower and/or taller than stock? My stock size is 205/60r15, and I'm going with 195/70r15 (few choices out there for this size). This is a 51psi tire, lighter than stock size tires, and the tread "looks" smooth rolling. What do you think?

Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Why do you want to go narrower? Aerodynamics? Wider tires may have better rolling resistance, though there are conflicting data and theories. See the links in my sig about tire pressure and width.

I previously believed that wider tires had lower RR due to less sidewall deformation for a given area of contact patch, which I thought was constant regardless of width, based entirely on pressure and load. That may actually not be true, but there are other factors at work (RR may be based on percent of carrying capacity actually in use, and a larger tire usually has larger capacity whether it's taller, wider, or both), and actual measurements of RR may indicate extra width reduces RR (though the tests did not test specifically for it and lack sufficient data to say for sure).

Either way, RR differences between similar models/sizes may not be large enough to pay off, and the best way to save money may be to simply get the longest-wearing tire.

My personal strategy: Best treadwear/cost ratio, widest available in the height I want (remember that height is expressed in percentage of width so it's necessary to calculate it, either manually or with the tire size calculator linked in my sig), inflated to its rated maximum pressure. The extra width may or may not affect RR, but it definitely allows me to carry more speed through a turn rather than having to bleed it off with brakes.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

wider tires weighmore, might have a wider contact patch but narrower tires have a smaller patch but the same weight is on that smaller patch vs wide tires SO on wet and snow conditions they cut thru down to pavement better. (hence why metros, festivas, chevettes, etc can sometimes outhandle a fullsize car)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

I was looking at tires because the set that came with the car will need replacement before fall. The tires have only 1/8 tread left, so they still work. But i just like to think ahead.

I think the main reason. Why I got the good MPG wast that the cobalt has one of those nifty tank MPG computers. Whenever the average dropped even one tenth. I would get mad and fight back that for that .1 . It is funny how quick I changed from the stereotype lil ****head. To someone who'll choose to go 5 under the limit.
sorry about the delay in reply. During first week of summer camp they don't give the counselors much time off.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
there ARE load range E truck tires in 14" and 15" wheels BUT they aren't going to be less than 70 trim in that size.
I was looking at/for truck tires a little while back, smallest I found was BFG Long Trail T/A 205/75R14 and they seem to be the only ones that do that size.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote