2001-2004 Ford Explorer PU best FE? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
VX trainee

2001-2004 Ford Explorer PU best FE?

We're about to replace our old `87 Dodge Dakota with something newer and more reliable. From what I've read, we're leaning towards an `01-04 Ford RANGER extended cab with 4cyl and 5sp manual. Looks like it should get around 23-25MPG, which should make it among the best FE for a pickup.

Anyone had good/bad experience with these? How about FE?

4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

do you absolutely need a pickup? a toyota matrix / pontiac vibe would be perfect if you need to haul some small things.

if you really need a pickup, toyota tacoma's are pretty good at gas mileage in that category

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

i dont belive they made a ford explorer pickup... they have a ford ranger small pickup, and a sport trac(might be what your htinking but totally useless bed)

if you want a good mpg pickup id look into the newer s-10's. i have a 95 (made up until 03) with 140k miles on it 4 cyl 5speed and ive hauled up to 900 lbs in the bed, regularly tow a 8X5 trailer no problem. i get adverage of 25-29mpg and have no major problems(still on stock clutch). LOTS of them around and parts are super cheap.

do you absolutely need a quad cab? or even an extended cab? smaller the cab better mpg(less weight) also cheaper. i dont belive anyone makes a 4 banger with a quad cab, just too much weight. the extended cab s-10's get 23-25 and the quad cab(somewhat hard to find but still around) get less mpg.

most of those quad cab trucks have a TINY bed so it makes them useless.

my friends 4wd extended cab V6 automatic ranger gets 15-18 mpg...i dont know what a base model ranger gets but prolyl close to the s-10
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bfox View Post
We're about to replace our old `87 Dodge Dakota with something newer and more reliable. From what I've read, we're leaning towards an `01-04 Ford Explorer Supercab with 4cyl and 5sp manual. Looks like it should get around 23-25MPG, which should make it among the best FE for a pickup.

Anyone had good/bad experience with these? How about FE?
You must be thinking of the Ranger, not the Explorer SportTrac...though technically based on the same chassis, the SportTrac never had a 4-cylinder or a manual tranny but the Ranger did.

I drive a fleet-model Ranger at work. 4-banger, automatic, lightest body because it has no options. I can average 21-23mpg in-town with that truck. If I got any highway time to speak of, it could probably approach 30. If you hypermile it, it's capable of even better than that, though on a delivery man's schedule, I don't have the luxury of doing that.

Now, the supercab is heavier, and it conceivably has other weight-adding options like power locks/windows and carpeting...so your results may be a wee bit lower. But, as pickups go, it's as good as you're gonna get here!
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
VX trainee

VetteOwner...you're absolutely right! I meant to say Ford Ranger and I typed Ford Explorer (my wife owns an Explorer). Sorry, I've been sleep deprived lately. And in the Ranger, "Supercab" seems to translate to "extended cab". I've seen the 4cyl around, not too many to choose from, though.

When I was looking at the Fed's FE site, the Ranger was at the top of the list for MPG.

And Civic94...this is #4 car in our household...my wife thinks we HAVE to have a pickup to haul brush, clean out the garage, etc. It'll be for my 16yr old son to drive, too. He's sick of the Dakota. Only thing it has going for it is 250,000 mi+ and a good sound system!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I have a 3.0 V6 Ranger and it gets high 20's. I like it.
I second that. My wife drives a 98 3.0 Ranger, and it has been basically bulletproof.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bfox View Post
VetteOwner...you're absolutely right! I meant to say Ford Ranger and I typed Ford Explorer (my wife owns an Explorer). Sorry, I've been sleep deprived lately. And in the Ranger, "Supercab" seems to translate to "extended cab". I've seen the 4cyl around, not too many to choose from, though.

When I was looking at the Fed's FE site, the Ranger was at the top of the list for MPG.

And Civic94...this is #4 car in our household...my wife thinks we HAVE to have a pickup to haul brush, clean out the garage, etc. It'll be for my 16yr old son to drive, too. He's sick of the Dakota. Only thing it has going for it is 250,000 mi+ and a good sound system!
if its just going to be a "work truck" then get the base model , manual windows, manual locks rubber floor, 4 banger 5speed. might accualy find a good fleet vehicle (prolyl going to be white tho) but for a cheap good long lasting truck id say see what you can find ranger wise and if nothing good in your area look at s-10's, equally good and equall mpg with equal options.

my truck was essentially a fleetmodel. regular cab, 4 banger, 5speed, rubber floor, no A/C from the factory, bench seat no power anything.

good luck hunting for one!!!! aroudn ehre you cant stand on ANY cornner and NOT se at least 3 s-10's in 2 minutes...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #8
VX trainee

OK, pretty much what I'd come up with. Thanks for the advice! My son has been spoiled so far with an auto trans....I've been telling him he needs to learn how to drive a stick. Not sure if I actually want to be IN the PU the first time, or not....maybe watching from a distance.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

Wayne Gerdes (CleanMPG) has a year-round average of 38.5 MPG for his `03 Ranger pickup, but that's pretty much a best-case upper limit for what you can do without mods.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Ranger Mileage

Just wanted to add my $.02

We've had 2 Ranger 3.0l pickups.
Both 4x4

93 Ranger Regular cab 4x4 Splash 3.0L 5spd Manual AC w/ auto transfer case & hubs. 235/75R15 Wranglers & Firestone ATX's
Had it for 75K miles- mixed driving avg. 24/25 MPG.
Pure HWY got 27/28 MPG.
in 4WD got 21 MPG.

93 Ranger Supercab 4x4 XLT 3.0L 5spd Manual NO AC w/ man. hubs & t-Case
purchased 1/2000 w/ 74K, currently has 213K, & 265/75R15 Copper Discover ATR tires
Mixed driving still getting 22 MPG
PURE HWY can still get 24MPG
4WD pulls 20 MPG

Put a pure HWY tread P series tire & might even improve on those MPG's.

CAN'T complain about those 3.0L Rangers- can actually use as a truck & still
get 5+ MPG better than any new comparable sized trucks.
ALSO; used synthetic blend or pure synth. oils in each
JMO- HTH
-Mike

Highmileage is offline   Reply With Quote