2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Stay true to the Game!

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and am pleased that at least some people are trying to save gas, whether it's an economic, political, or moral issue. Anyways I drive a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. It has a 3.3L V6. I've been tracking my fuel economy since I purchased the van and was hoping to improve my mileage using techniques that have been posted on this site. 1st off I'm getting about 19.28 MPG average. With a high of 26.02 MPG and a low of 15.42 MPG. I recently switched to a synthetic oil to help improve my cause. I was wondering what the optimum FE could be on a van like this. I've noticed that most people on this forum have FE vehicles compared to my van. Would a Scan Gauge 2 help improve my FE? Any suggestions are welcome.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
*shrug*

The SGII would definately help! Prolly the best thing you could do!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #3
Stay true to the Game!

Thanks for the responce. How much of increase could I expect? I'm trying to justify the cost.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
*shrug*

Hmm, it depends generally on how much you are willing to change, but at least a bit, I'll let some other people chime in here since I didn't really have a good transition to using my superMID.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Their are a couple of things you can do, but you would have to consider when, where and whether to do them or not.

We have a 98 Chrysler T&C, with a 3.8L engine. Here are a couple of things I've done, which do definitely help. First, raise the tire pressure, if you can handle the harsher ride and your family circumstances will allow. Second, do as much of a grill block as you can, without unduly raising the engine temperature.

I did a saran wrap grill block on one trip a couple of month's ago, with about a 4" by 4" opening and my highway mileage, at 70-80, was about 24 mpg. I took it off and reduced the tire pressures because my wife primarily drives the van and I didn't want to have any issues with me fiddeling with something, then a problem associated with anything I did. It has potential.

If you can afford a SGII, then that is very clearly the best thing you could possibly do to improve mileage. Pretty much everyone who has one, says that they were able to make substantial improvements in areas they had not considered previously, by getting one.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

So let's see, what %age would you have to save on gas to make the SG pay out? 100,000 miles of life left divided by 20 mpg gives 5000 gallons of gas, which at 3 bucks per gallon is $15,000. So if the SG saves you 1%, it's worth it. Whaddya think?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Stay true to the Game!

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Gary I was wondering, since you and I pretty much have the same vehicle, what's the best fuel economy you have seen in your Town & Country? I ordered the Scan Gauge 2 today so we'll see if it helps me out any. What would the recommended tire pressure be? I currently have it set at the manufacturers setting of 36PSI.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

scanguage will help with your driving habits. as for tire pressure maybe try bumbing up 2 lbs at a time so you will get used to the ride and won't be as big a jump as if you went from 36 up to 46 or whereever you decide.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Registered Member

Right at the moment, the 24mpg tank is the only really relevant mileage I can give you. I don't really monitor it because it's primarily my wife's car.

On tire pressure, their are different thought's. Personally, I have been running my Honda at 55psi for about the last 9 month's or so. I think the max on the sidewall is 35psi. I have left them their because it made a very noticable difference in my engine off coasting distance and it was so pronounced, I just have left it their. I have run 50psi on our prior mini-van, in the summer, crossing the desert in 110 degree heat. I have never encountered a tire failure running at the higher pressures, that I could attribute in any way to the higher pressure. The tires run substantially cooler and I have not had blowouts or other issues, like I had previously when I was running more traditional pressures.

I have backed the van tire pressures back to about 35psi because it doesn't ride quite as harsh, which is part of the nice ride factor of the van.

I will be very interested in seeing what sort of mileage you are able to get with the SG.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
Stay true to the Game!

Gary I will be sure to post my results as soon as the Scan Gauge arrives. The best mileage I have gotten so far is 26 mpg. I drove about 200 miles at 60 MPH using my vents only. My question is, are these vehicles capable of getting better than 26 or am I fooling myself? Thanks for the help everyone.