2008 Prius - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

2008 Prius

This article was on the Home Page.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...n-toyota-prius

New changes 1.8L engine, better batteries and 80MPG city. The Japan version will have solar roof for charging. I guess they had a spy in Metro garage. But of course here in the USA no telling what version we'll get.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

But wait...

It looks like the Dodge Charger and Honda FCX had a baby. When's the shower?

A few concerns: more power and AWD? At first I was thinking of a driveline-style AWD system, but I think I get it now -- perhaps electric motors in the rear, similar to the Highlander Hybrid. Secondly, an engine with bigger displacement? ...and it's one-inch wider, so where's the savings in drag? I trust Toyota thought this one through, but all of this adds-up to really crappy highway mileage, which is what most of us do in the 'States: drive on the highway.

The pluses: better batts, potential for a plug-in (remotely possible, but if they do it, a HUGE leap in tech), and I guess an improvement over the last model, but we'll see. I'll believe it when I test it

RH77

Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
It looks like the Dodge Charger and Honda FCX had a baby. When's the shower?

A few concerns: more power and AWD? At first I was thinking of a driveline-style AWD system, but I think I get it now -- perhaps electric motors in the rear, similar to the Highlander Hybrid. Secondly, an engine with bigger displacement? ...and it's one-inch wider, so where's the savings in drag? I trust Toyota thought this one through, but all of this adds-up to really crappy highway mileage, which is what most of us do in the 'States: drive on the highway.

The pluses: better batts, potential for a plug-in (remotely possible, but if they do it, a HUGE leap in tech), and I guess an improvement over the last model, but we'll see. I'll believe it when I test it

RH77
If you consider 50 MPG crappy without trying
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm guessing it'll be close to 60mpg EPA highway. They probably can have the engine spin at it's peak efficiency because the battery pack is now good enough to provide all the kick until the gas engine spins up (maybe 15% difference in efficiency). If they did that with this pack, they'd probably have it die in less than 100k...
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Well, it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
If you consider 50 MPG crappy without trying
OK -- I'm just skeptical. It would be a huge leap in actual FE, which is very much against current industry patterns. If it does accomplish this kind of efficiency for the average driver, then it would be what we're looking for -- and perhaps a model to be used as a template for others.

What is promised, and what is obtained are 2 very different topics.

After real-life testing, if this car gets 60-city and 50-highway in reality (in the U.S.), then...

where do I sign?

RH77

X_____________________________________ Date: ___________