2009 Volkswagen L1 Concept - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

2009 Volkswagen L1 Concept

(Sorry if this isn't the right sub-forum to post this thread)

(from Volkswagen Press Release) To the Point: Breakthrough for the 1-Litre Car

Volkswagen presents the most fuel-efficient automobile in the world

- L1 Concept is driven by new high-tech TDI and E-motor
- Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic body of the L1 weighs just 124 kilograms
- Maximum speed 160 km/h; L1 consumes just 1.38 litres diesel per 100 km
- CO2 emissions reduced to a new best value with just 36 g/km

Wolfsburg / Frankfurt, 15 September 2009 - Technological breakthrough for the 1-litre fuel consumption car: International Motor Show (IAA), Volkswagen is presenting the concept of the future L1 in a world premiere that points the way toward the production version. The full hybrid vehicle weighs just 380 kilograms thanks to its carbon-fibre reinforced body (CFRB). With a combined fuel consumption figure of 1.38 litres of diesel per 100 kilometres, this extremely aerodynamic (Cd 0.195!) Volkswagen suitable for everyday use is intended to become the most fuel-efficient automobile in the world. CO2 emissions of the 160 km/h L1 are similarly low at 36 g/km.

Retrospective: Seven years ago, Dr. Ferdinand Pi?ch, at that time Chairman of the Board of Management and today Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Volkswagen Group, drove a prototype from Wolfsburg to Hamburg that was unlike any other car before it: the Volkswagen 1-Litre car ? the world?s first car with fuel consumption of one litre fuel per 100 kilometres. The man and machine wrote automotive history. In April 2002, however, it was also clear that the time for a production version of the 1-Litre car lay far in the future. Production of the body itself ? from carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) ? was not realistic due to cost considerations. Yet, in 2002 Dr. Ferdinand Pi?ch already prophesised that the time would soon come for the 1-Litre car and CFRP as a material for industrial applications. By 2009 the time had come: Volkswagen is making a clear statement at the IAA in Frankfurt (September 17 to 27) with the second generation of this ingenious car: The L1 represents a step forward into the future with completely new technology and a new design; revolutionary yet close to production readiness.

?It is an enormous challenge to control costs in producing the monocoque out of CFRP,? says Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, member of the Board of Management for the Volkswagen Brand with responsibility for development. Both technically and visually, the CFRP body is already considered a significant achievement in car design. Unique on this car are the proportions of its dimensions. While the length of the L1 at 3,813 millimetres is still similar to that of a Volkswagen Fox, and its height of 1,143 millimetres nearly matches that of a Lamborghini Murci?lago, the car?s aerodynamically optimised width (1,200 millimetres) has no comparisons in the world of today?s production cars.

L1 philosophy ? defining a new type of automobile

In developing both prototype generations of the L1, Volkswagen simply questioned everything that typically characterised an automobile. The key starting point was body construction, and a core question was raised here: How would a car have to look and be built to consume as little energy as possible? The logical answer: extremely aerodynamic and lightweight. Yet these objectives had to be achieved under a non-negotiable precondition: a maximum of safety. The approach taken: a narrow two-seater with a CFRP body!

The seat layout fitting this design goal was dictated by the uncompromising aerodynamic form of a glider: One seat behind the other. Entry to the concept car is also similar to that of a glider; through a roof cover hinged at the side. On this second generation of the L1, the concept has been further honed; each component has been redesigned, a special chassis with aluminium components was developed, and above all the crucial CFRP technology from Formula-1 racing and airplane construction was transferred to automotive manufacturing. This has been combined with a unique form of hybrid drive to create a near-production vehicle. 2013 is the target year for this future dream to become a reality.

KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

I personally would like to know more about this and hope that they will come out with some pricing quotes of how much it might cost.

I doubt that we will see this in the US any time soon. the diesel engine kind of kills it along with the size and seating arrangement. I would get one if the price was right.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

I heard a news story recently about a renewed push of diesel vehicles by some car companies in US markets. If the final vehicle has a carbon fiber body and titanium wheels it's not going to be cheap.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

It was VW, actually.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

mini has a diesel that i heard gets around the 60 to 70 mark as far as MPG.

I haven't looked it up myself but I feel very confident that we won't see that car in the US.

MINI COOPER-D

I would so rock a diesel car but it would have to get much better than a gas car. if I could get 50s I would do it easily

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

I was really disappointed the US Fortwo came sans diesel.

co de pen den cy

Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
If they bring that to the states I really hope they setup the suspension to make it understeer like crazy. It isn't very wide and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to roll that sucker.

I like the drivers area a lot, the rest of the design I'm not super crazy about.

VW sells quite a few diesel cars in the US. Other manufacturers just don't even try but that's probably because their diesels are nowhere near as nice as the TDIs are. Theyv'e spent a lot of time and money getting that little turbo 4 banger quiet and that's what people here in the US are looking for in a diesel car. Heck, they even look for it in trucks now! Have you heard the new Duramax engines?!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Registered Member

The problem is going to be the price, probably beyond 50-60k.

We need a car that costs 15k and gets 60+ average MPG. That is the basis of my HH concept.

It has to be cost effective and capable of carrying 5 passengers.

If I can average 53 mpg in a $3300 Echo, then there is no reason for a manufacturer to not make a basic transportation vehicle that weighs less than 2000 pounds and gets better mileage than the Echo.

I still don't see the battery electric configuration as practical daily transportation that fills the needs of a family that can only afford 1 or two vehicles.

The whole basis for the HH design is more along the lines of the Model T or the early VW. Both were cars that mobilized nations.

http://www.innas.com/Assets/files/Hydrid%20brochure.pdf

Side by side comparison of the same vehicle.

regards
gary
Old 09-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

I'm just waiting of the Polo blue motion to come here. You know praticallity and a back seat.

I do like the above concept though!
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

Nice idea, but I think that high step-over to get in and out would turn off a lot of folks...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote