2010 XLE V6 Camry 12-16 MPG issue - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #41
BDC
Registered Member

You should have already taken it to a mechanic. If it's a 2010 it's probably still under the factory warranty. You need to get back to the dealer and make a friend of the dealership service manager. Emphasis on "make a friend." Nobody is trying to rip you off, nobody at the dealer had any idea of what fuel economy your car was getting before they sold it to you, and no one is going to believe your wild undocumented claims. But if you play your cards right you can probably get some free help. If you are making underhanded comments about how Toyota is trying to rip you off like you have been littering this thread with, I can guarantee that you are going to get absolutely nowhere. It's clear from this thread that you have no idea how to go about getting a dealership, and corporate Toyota if necessary, to help you out. Time to start figuring that out.

If you really think this car is a "lemon" as in you can return it to the dealer under the lemon law provisions, you need to start researching your state's lemon law and make sure you are meeting all of its criteria to the letter. I only have a basic knowledge of how lemon laws work but everybody knows that you can't even think about returning a vehicle under a lemon law unless it's been in the shop many times.

Whatever you are trying to fix, you are barking up the wrong tree. Don't spend time and money on seafoam when the first thing the service manager will recommend is giving you a full fuel system cleaning for free under warranty, if you play your cards right. Get into the service department of your dealership and start making friends.

BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #42

BDC is correct about your warrenty situation and researching lemon laws.

My commments about sales staff don't necessarily apply to service departments, especially on warrenty issues. And I try to be friendly with everyone, but that doesn't mean I trust them.

dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #43

Ok just had a fuel system flush done and I'm getting now 18.5 MPG on the Roosevelt Blvd (Speed Limit 40-45 mph) then got 21 MPG on I-95 Interstate Hwy (speed limit (55-60 mph). The fuel system results which I took pictures showed 3 times the density white smoke coming out of both exhausts next to a Ford Explorer getting one done at 100K miles on it. They checked my tire rotation was fine no signs of damage or leaks under the car and in the engine. Checked my air filter and oil and the fuel filter was in the tank so they decided to perform the fuel injection flush job. Should of seen the look in their faces they never seen a 25.584 mile car perform so much smoke from carbon and dirt inside the tank. Not sure if this matters but I saw 23-25 MPG on instant MPG on ultragauge. Made sure to reset my ECU of course before heading on the road trip. Was only 25 miles but shows promise. Thank you everyone for being patient with me on this. If you drove your first car for 18 years and finally got a new car that was sucking you drive that was 15 years leap into the future it's kind of stress to drive you nuts because my 95 Camry didn't even have a OBDII plug or ABS. Had a broken tape deck for last 5 years but it drove well and asked nothing in return. Its a strong bond you end up holding on to driving across America from PA to Cali and back again. So many good memories.
rabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #44

I'm glad to see good results for you.

I just recorded my lowest MPG since I bought the car, but I'm not concerned. It was one days driving in town and I expected a bad result. It was also the shortest distance I've driven before filling again. I'm expecting 34+ from this trip I'm on.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #45

Well my last fuel up of Super 93 Exxon with the fuel flush was 13.9 MPG but since the fuel system flush I been seeing 18-20 mpg in city. Not quite there but seeing that drastic of an improvement is hopeful. With the cruise range reading of 139 miles left even if I was to get 121 miles out of the Exxon Plus 89 grade it will get me around 20 mpg which is above expectations. I was recommended a injector nozzle cleaning too.

I don't know what the previous owner in NJ who drove to Washington DC bought as in gas or what got in the tank but it seems he abused the hell out of this car. It's going to take some TLC to get this Camry back on its feet but I assure you I'm going to never take for granted on maintenance of fuel system flushes to oil changes or spark plugs rotations or balances on this car. Like I said before this was the car I wanted and I tend to keep it for a very long time. Still amazed such a simple thing like cleaning out the fuel system was overlooked by all the technology added to cars now. But I guess it's all a learning experience in the end.

I hope Toyota designs the new Camry like the 2013 Avalon. The Big Aston Martin Grill in the front is nice yet the 2012 Camry Head lights not too much of a fan of it (looks cheap with the chrome then a gap and low profile design, probably air dynamics but just seems so plain to me). Love the hawk design front of the 2010 Gen 6.5 design and LED Rear tail lights. Just a personal preference but I love the curve rounded designs more than the stocky angular ones. But seeing how outside the box the corolla concept design went hoping the new future Camry will be amazing enough to get too. Yea that's right I like my Camry's it fits my criteria of needs in a car. Family and efficiency all wrapped into one.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #46

I'm a huge Camry and Accord fan. My brother has my old 01 Camry now and I'm on his *** about it all the time to take care of it.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #47

Well back to the drawing board. Started to get 14.4 MPG again after 2-3 days it kept dropping like a brick again from 20 mpg, 16.6 mpg, 15.5 mpg, 15 mpg, finally to 14 mpg today. Going again for another Fuel Injection Flush on Thursday. He recommends since the smoke came out so thick I must have a huge amount of carbon build up and might require several attempts to get the car back to normal on gas consumption. He checked the car out again and engine lights come on when the car is turned on then go away after the car is started as it should be. He explained if it was my fuel filter clogged an engine light error code would come up due to the pressure sensor triggering from the tank. But spark plugs shouldn't be bad the car is in pretty good shape engine and underneath with no leaks or wear. He don't think its the oxygen sensor because a light would come on. Yet the readings on the car and depletion of gas shows that something is burning fuel fast. I have 30 miles on trip and my gas tank gauge dropped 2 slashes down from 6 slashes to now 4 slashes left on the tank till empty since 4/13/2013. That's 3 days 2 gallons dropped and ultragauge is even showing from 5.56 gallons to 3.48 gallons now. I love this car yet it's driving me crazy for almost 2 months now since I got it.

I just don't
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #48

Here is some pictures of my last 2 fuel ups. 3/31/2013 121 Trip Miles of 8.564 Gallons of Shell 87 REG at Exxon Pump and 4/10/2013 53.6 Trip Miles of Exxon 93 Super of 3.847 Gallons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprint7...ream/lightbox/
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #49

Rabbit75 - Do those pictures reflect filling the tank completely? It looks like you just bought a set dollar amount in each case instead of a complete fill up. Any thing less than a complete fill up will not get you accurate MPG. You must fill the tank completely noting mileage, either by resetting trip meter or recording odometer reading. Then measure how much fuel it takes to fill it all the way back up again, and divide the miles driven by how many gallons it took (example: 342.8 mi/12.28 gal = 27.9 MPG.) Anything else will not be accurate. If you are not filling the tank completely then you are wasting your time with any other calculations and all your gauges. I don't trust electronic measurements of fuel comsumption. And not one photo of your dash shows a full tank, most show near empty.

You seem to be working really hard to calculate something that is easy to measure. You may be getting that horrible mileage after all, but you aren't getting accurate numbers if you are not using this method of measurement.

If it's a matter of not thinking you can afford to fill the tank let me disavow you of that notion now. You will not burn any more gas by filling your tank than by putting in set dollar amounts. Set dollar amounts are easier to track financially and budget, but you seem more concerned with fuel economy right now, so why don't you try this tried and true method for at least 3 tanks of gas. I'm pretty OCD about my mileage, but this method has worked accurately since they invented math. My friend had a new Honda (2013) and he was claiming ungodly great mileage, because he was using the built in MPG readings. When I convinced him to use the old time method, he found a pretty big discrepancy.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #50

By the way, that's a good looking car.