2010 XLE V6 Camry 12-16 MPG issue - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

2010 XLE V6 Camry 12-16 MPG issue

I been getting since my first full tank of gas between 11-16 mpg and 17 mpg top on HWY driving at 55-60 mph. My stop and go commute is 3 miles but takes like 15 minutes time due to lights. Dealership performed oil change new filter 2 new tires shaved rotors alignment and maintenance less than 700 miles ago. I been using Shell 86 regular and plus to Sunoco 87 regular which gets me 62,68 and 95 miles on trip meter from 5.550g, 5.265g,5.716g of gas filled in the tank. So consistent amount used and same gas stations used. Took it to the dealership and had a full diagnostics and nothing of course came up. No engine lights no maintenance lights are coming up on the car. I have an ultragauge coming in tomorrow via mail. My hwy commute was 55-60 mph one at 50 miles of traveling and other one was 20 miles of travel and only saw 16-17 mpg avg come up. Now the weird thing is when I go down to empty gas tank light then fill it up and drive I get about 23mpg-20 mpg but then as I drive more than 5 miles it drops down to 18 mpg then by next day with additional 3 miles to work I get 15-16 mpg. Then averages later to 13-15 mpg till empty. I have no leak in the gas tank nor do I hear sounds from the engine. How is it I have the worst miles per gallon Camry in the United States??

I reseted my ECU by taking off the negative battery terminal for 30+ minutes and wiped it clean before starting my fuelly.com mpg tracking. If your skeptical on my driving habits I came form a Camry LE 1995 V4 130HP my first car and never really pass 1500-2000 rpms because I loved my car and didn't want to beat on it. It was 18 years old and never let me down across 3000 miles to CALI and 3000 miles back with 157,000 miles. Anyhow if anyone can enlighten me how to get at least to 19-20 mpg from their own experience please post a reply. I been losing a lot of sleep over this and love this car so much even though I'm not a car enthusiast. But efficiency and reliability is very important to me and finding the answer to this low mileage issue is priority. I drive very conservatively and even glide and feather the accelerator drive an average of 25-30 miles per hour city to 55-60 on hwy (only go 5 miles above speed limits, yes I'm that guy you pass all the time and I stay away from the speed lanes.). I keep my RPM between 1500-2000 rule and I'm seeing 12-13 mpg on my display. Even with the extra weight in the front with a V6 I keep my acceleration lower than my previous 4 cyl 95 Camry LE. Thanks in advance for any helpful input you anyone can give me.

I take both starting Odometer readings subtract it from the time of fuel up odometer reading then divide it by the total gallons driven. Tried the trip meter and divided by the total gallons driven. I note the gas grade and location of the gas station and keep my past 3 fill ups were very close and driving routes the same. Reseted the ECU and checked the filter my tire pressure and oil and had diagnostics done at the dealership and it passed. No engine or maintenance lights while driving come up. Gasoline tank is clean and no strange sounds from the engine. Warm up 30 seconds before driving.

cabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #2

>Now the weird thing is when I go down to empty gas tank light then

>fill it up and drive I get about 23mpg-20 mpg but then as I drive

>more than 5 miles it drops down to 18 mpg then by next day with

>additional 3 miles to work I get 15-16 mpg. Then averages later

>to 13-15 mpg till empty. ...

Firstly it sounds like you are using the displayed-mpg ... take no notice of this because it will depends on things like how the float in your fuel tank is behaving. It is only the tank-to-tank figure which is meaningful.

I am a bit confused about your commute. Is it 3 miles, 50 miles or 20 miles (or a combination of those?).

How frequently do you do short trips?

Do you tow anything? Anything on the roofrack?

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #3

My commute daily is to work which is 3 miles to drive there and 3 miles to go home. The 30/50 miles was Highway test drives to see how many mpg I would get which was 16-17 mpg. The most I do on daily of mileage is 10 miles a day about 70-75 miles a week. Considering I just go to local restaurants or grocery stores within a 1-2 mile radius. So 5 days I do 8-10 miles a day and my 2 days off I do even less around 4-6 miles tops. But as in stuff in the car I only have what came with the car a spare tire, jack ,owners manual. Just got it 2/20/2013.
rabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #4

Like my car says I done 62, 68, and 88 miles per 7 days. Recently it has pushed up to 95 miles in 5 days because went to the dealership for diagnostics and some test driving here and there. But as you can see on the fuel-ups the 3 consecutive amounts were 5.265-5.716 gallons of reg-plus gas. The mileage are 62-88 miles per week duration. But don't have any tow or bike rack installed on it just factory standard XLE V-6 camry 2010 model. Parking break is not on BTW and even disabled the traction control or Vehicle Stability Control.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #5

I never trust the dash display on any car. I always check MPG by calculating miles and gal. You had to have done this with your 1995 Camry. I had a 1995 Camry with 267K on it and was getting 28 MPG average, but it had no dash display. Even a V6 Camry should be getting over 20 MPG, and as much as 27 on the highway.
dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #6

Here is a recent MPG reading on from dashboard.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/rabbit75/camry
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #7

Now this makes no sense my profile is saying i'm getting 18.9 MPG average which I never got a reading that high on my fuel-ups. My customer added mile average is stating 14.9. Highest MPG was 16.7 so how does that work out to be correct? Toyota hacking my site or something? -JK IDK but even doing the math manually it still comes out to be 12 mpg, 14 mpg, 16.7 mpg and 16.6 mpg. When I had my full tank from the dealership which 18.5 gallons lasted me like 2 weeks barely was giving me 12 mpg avg and all I get back as an explanation was its winter fuel and ethanol additives cause this. But losing like 7mpg-12mpg sounds a bit excessive. I live on the Roosevelt Blvd which is 45 MPH pm the expressway. Plus Major Highway is I-95 which is 55 mph interstate highway. So driving around this area how is it I'm not getting above 19 mpg? Makes no sense to me at all.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #8

If your numbers are correct, and I assume they are, your car has to have something wrong with it. I did notice you rarely run a half tank through before you fuel up again. Are you filling up every time? I know paritial fill ups can throw the numbers off sometimes.
dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #9

yep trying to keep a controlled rate of amount of fuel tracking. I had them as partial fill up and the only thing that changed was it didn't track MPG individually just gave me Average Miles Per Gallon and no highest MPG or Last MPG. I just installed my ultragauge which surprised the camry had no fuel sensor in the tank. It's showing different MPG AVG of 17 atm and of course lower cruise range (miles left before empty) than the car. Seeing like 125 miles till empty over the 162 miles the car is displaying. Hopefully this will help me track my MPG better.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #10

reseted my ECU yesterday due to engine immobilizer malfunction. My MPG AVG is reading 12.5-13 mpg. Ultragauge which btw doesn't work with Toyota Camry 2010 XLE V6 fuel sensor is showing 13-15 mpg but since I didn't manually put my gallons at start of my driving it's kind of useless till I fill up again. Kind of disappointed with Toyota hiding the gas sensor from OBII sensors. Engine temp read 185 degree with didn't go above 2000 RPM on average 1500 and speed didn't go past 35 mph. Have 55 miles on trip and 1/3 tank left. According to my Cruise Range I have 183 miles left till empty but Ultragauge is saying 85 miles left. If this thing is correct I should get 15.99 mpg by the time I hit empty. Ultragauge also said no maintenance required or pending codes so something is slipping through the mystery of miserable miles per gallon.