2016 Mazda 2 getting easy 40mpg city driving! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

2016 Mazda 2 getting easy 40mpg city driving!

Hi guys,

My wife recently bought a new Mazda 2 automatic 1.5 litre petrol with istop.

With only a few hundred miles on the clock, I am getting 40mpg on our morning commute through the inner city suburbs into the city centre. I'm using mild hyper miling techniques while also weaving through traffic quite a bit, so there is room for lots of improvement. The subcompact size also makes it a breeze for manoeuvring in the heavy traffic.

Mazda Australia claims 38mpg for city driving so I'm pretty happy that the claim can be easily beaten without becoming a road obstacle. In comparison, my BMW 640i would struggle to meet the 30mpg city claimed fuel efficiency even when driven with all my hypermiling knowledge.

Can't wait to get it onto the highway where claimed mpg is 56mpg.

Takes regular unleaded as well.

Anyone else finding the new breed of sub-compact cars are delivering great numbers straight off the factory floor?

NickZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hi, there are some great fuel efficient small cars on the market now. Unfortunately here in the UK, we are still using the highly flawed NEDC test cycle to obtain emission and fuel economy figures, which are done in a lab and on average are 14% over optimistic. So most of us look at figures and have to take about 20-30 MPG'S off to get a realistic figure!

That's not bad mileage for a petrol car though, I had a suzuki with that engine size and it had a terrible drink problem! My current car had a 1.5 too but diesel this time. I have noticed some good results from Mazdas skyactive tech, my friend has the Cx7 SUV with the 2.2 diesel and his wife gets between 50-60 MPG on her 30 mile commute to work.

Good luck with the new car.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote