23 mpg with a geo prizm? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Were you beating the EPA estimates for your last car?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

yes, i was averaging 45 mpg on a civic that was supposed to get 34 city, 40 highway on the old epa estimates.

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Registered Member

Talking 01' Prizm

I'm getting 37 to 41 mpg with a 3 speed auto (mostly highway).
Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #14
Registered Member

How many miles does the car have? There are a ton of things that could cause bad mileage so I'm just going to throw some out there: Catalytic Converter is clogged/semi clogged, O2 Sensors work but are weak (you can check this with a voltmeter) fuel/air filters, EGR, PCV valve clogged, throttle body is dirty, needs new fluids (you claimed you changed them all, Did you really? I mean ALL OF THEM?), and then the ideas mentioned above like dragging caliper, etc. It's hard to know because we don't know how many miles it has as for all we know it needs a major service done to it which would readjust the valves, spark plugs+wires, etc.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
O2 Sensors work but are weak
Explain.

I know the sensors start responding to O2 stream changes slower over time until they just fail. Is that what you mean?

Only in SFI does the slower response time usually lead to worse mileage. (In case you wanted to know, SFI has the fastest response time to O2 changes, TBI and MPI aren't as fast so the mixtures don't get thrown off as easily)
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
DRW
Registered Member

"O2 Sensors work but are weak"
When an O2 sensor gets old, it reads leaner, so the ecu will add fuel to compensate. It will still cycle the O2 volts and the ecu thinks it's working right.

One of the things I look for to determine if the O2 sensor is old is to look at the wire coming out of the sensor. If the covering on the wire is soft and rubbery it might be newer. If the coating on the wire looks like dry woven cloth with frayed ends, that's an old sensor. This isn't a definitive test of the sensors function, it's just one way of knowing relative age by simply looking at it.

If it looks old, the second thing I'd check is the color of the spark plugs. If the engine was running rich it will show on the plug tips. For reference, see http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm
If it's running rich it will look similar to the 'carbon fouled' plug, although it may not be as bad as that pic.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

well i think part of the reason is that i work 12 minutes away, and eveywhere i go its a 5 min drive or less, and that 12 minutes to work is the longest that my car operates at a given time, and even after 12 minutes my temp needle isnt at the "normal" operating temperature yet.

once in a long while I hit the freeway, thats where the 30% highway miles came from. the car has 160k miles
Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Registered Member

Dude, you work 12 minutes away and drive?! You use your car for 5 minute trips?! Weak! Ride a bike.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Dude, you work 12 minutes away and drive?! You use your car for 5 minute trips?! Weak! Ride a bike.
Weather forecast for Seattle tomorrow:
High of 29 degrees F
50% chance of snow
Wind 5 to 10 mph

12 minute drive in the enclosed car vs enjoying the "brisk" air for over an hour on the bike...no thanks. I wouldn't call him lame for driving.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post

if i rode the bus, it would take over an hour (seattle transit sucks) and if i biked it would take a good 40 minutes because of all the hills that we have here.