33.87 MPG fill - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Just tell the complainer(s) that its better than walking the extra 3-4 miles out of every 28.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

You need to do a full tank with the Scangage to calibrate it, and after a couple tanks where you adjust the amount to fill each time, you'll find it has the right number already when you fill it. You also need to calibrate the Scangage distance by matching it to milemarkers or with a GPS, for 50 miles or so in order to get distance calibrated correctly. Then you can trust the mpg numbers from the scangage.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off having a 2nd vehicle or replacing the van with a more efficient vehicle if possible because with its high weight, big motor, auto trans, and high wind resistance, its going to be difficult to get good mpgs out of it.

I don't know if the IAT tricking resistor thing will work on a Chrysler, but after you get the scangage to where you can tell what your mpg's are, its a very cheap and easy mod to try. For simplicity sake, try to trick it to about 200 to 220 degrees when you do.

BTW, I'm not so sure its a real good idea with an auto trans to be neutral dropping it at 50 or 55 on an ongoing basis. a tranny is a lot more expensive than any gas you might save.

The one fuel saving technique I think might help would be to memorize what TPS readings are needed to drive at what mph, and then don't overaccelerate by much to get up to speed. For example, if it takes TPS 10 to get 60 mph, then maybe accelerate with TPS 14 until you get to 60, then let up to TPS 10 and roll along from there.

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
Stay true to the Game!

Cheapybob:

The SG2 was pretty accurate on the last fill. I've done several fills with the gauge and it's getting to be almost dead on. I've used the same gas pump for my last 6 fills also. I'll get a new vehicle when I get to California. I tried the IAT resistor mod (see other posts), and I think it tricks the SG2 more than anything. As far as dropping the tranny in Neutral at 50mph, it doesn't seem to jerk or anything. It's actually really smooth. My van has less than 3000 miles on it, and I bought a sevice contract from warrantydirect.com for a 7 year 100,000 coverage. So as far as the tranny going out, I'm not really worried about the money, because it's covered.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popimp View Post
...I bought a sevice contract from warrantydirect.com for a 7 year 100,000 coverage. So as far as the tranny going out, I'm not really worried about the money, because it's covered.
Hmm. They must have different levels of coverage based on how old/used one's vehicle is. Your post made me curious and I popped over to their site to take a look; the longest coverage they'd offer on my vehicle is 5 years/100K miles.

Have you studied your contract closely? The one they offered as a sample in my quote has all kinds of "interesting" limitations...
  • They of course only cover "failure," not normal wear-and-tear (which I suppose means you'd have to let your timing belt break to be covered, versus changing it, the water pump, tensioner, etc. according to the maintenance schedule ).
  • They don't pay for covered parts if they're damaged thanks to the failure of a non-covered part.
  • They only pay for certain "covered" parts if they're damaged thanks to the failure of other covered parts.
  • Coverage is limited to the value of the vehicle, at which point the contract becomes null and void (that one certainly wouldn't affect you).
  • Coverage is limited to $6,000 per vehicle.
  • Transmission coverage is limited to $2,200 (I know from experience my tranny costs way more than that).
  • Replacement parts can be remanufactured or third-party (I presume that excludes salvage yard pulls).
  • You have to change the oil within 60 days, then prove you've changed it every 4 months/4K miles thereafter (VW has a 5K OCI)... with non-handwritten receipts on "licensed repair facility letterhead."
  • You must use manufacturer-recommended lubricants (if that includes weight, that'd be an issue for those who go to lighter oil for FE).
And so on. Seems like a lot of loopholes, at least for my VW. Is your contract more lenient, since yours is a much newer vehicle?

The rates looked reasonable, but TANSTAAFL I guess...

Rick
Old 07-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #15
Stay true to the Game!

Rick Rae:

Are you sure you went to Warrantydirect.com? Because I did a quote to view the contracts on a 2000 Cabrio with 40,000 miles, and the most coverage that was offered was a 2 year 25,000 mile coverage. They have different plans so I'm not sure which one you selected. The contract I have is called Secure Care. It didn't require oil changes or anything like that. I got this info from the contract.

LIMIT OF LIABILITY

a) The maximum limit of liability per loss shall be equal to the actual cash value of the Vehicle at the time of repair.
b) The aggregate limit of liability for each Service Contract shall not exceed the retail price of the Vehicle .

The limit liabilty seems fair, because I wouldn't want to shell out $5,000 for a repair if the vehicle is only worth $3,000.

7. MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS
You must maintain Your Vehicle according to the manufacturer's recommendations as outlined in the owner's manual. NOTE: Your owner's manual has separate required maintenance schedules for “normal” and “more severe” operating conditions. You are required to follow the maintenance schedule that applies to Your conditions. You must be sure only the proper grade of lubricants and coolants, as recommended by the manufacturer, is used in Your Vehicle . It is necessary for You to retain verifiable receipts for all parts and materials necessary to perform the required maintenance.

This makes sense, even the manufacturers warranty requires you to maintain your vehicle.

We will pay the repair facility of Your choice, or reimburse You, for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any part of Your Vehicle where a Failure has occurred, except for those items listed in the Exclusions section of this booklet. (So you can pick your repair facitlity as long as the item that is broken is excluded)

CAR RENTAL: We will, in the event of a Failure covered by this Contract , pay or reimburse You for receipted expenses to rent replacement transportation (from a Dealer or licensed rental agency) while Your Vehicle is undergoing repair. Such payment shall be limited to thirty dollars ($30) for each eight (8) labor hours, or portion thereof, of applicable labor time necessary to complete the repair, up to a maximum of one hundred fifty dollars ($150) per occurrence. This Coverage does not apply to time waiting for parts or other delays beyond the control of the repair facility. In the event of a major component (engine, transmission or drive axle) replacement, a maximum of three (3) days of parts delay Coverage will be afforded provided additional authorization is obtained from Administrator (except where prohibited by law).

I don't know if $30 a day is enough but it helps.

TRAVEL EXPENSES: We will, in the event a Failure covered by this Contract occurs more than one hundred (100) miles from Your home, reimburse You up to seventy-five dollars ($75) per day for up to three (3) consecutive days for receipted motel/restaurant expenses (except where prohibited by law). The date of Failure will be considered the first day of the three (3) day maximum period.

Seems like a good deal if the car be repiared in 3 days. If not your screwed.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Stay true to the Game!

Now for the good part the exclusions. Whatever is listed in the exclusions does not get covered.

EXCLUSIONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Vehicle Service Contract Provides NO Coverage or Benefits for the following:

A. THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BATTERY; SHOCK ABSORBERS; MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH ASSEMBLY; FRICTION CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE; THROW OUT BEARING; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES; GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS; SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS); GLASS; LENSES; SEALED BEAMS; LIGHT BULBS; BRAKE ROTORS & DRUMS; TV/VIDEO/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS; WEATHER STRIPS; TRIM; MOLDINGS; BRIGHT METAL; CHROME; UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET; PAINT; OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION; BUMPERS; BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS; TIRES; WHEELS/RIMS; PHONE SYSTEMS; EXHAUST & AIRBAG ELECTRONICS.

(UNLESS OPTIONAL AIRBAG ELECTRONICS COVERAGE HAS BEEN PURCHASED AND INDICATED ON IDENTIFICATION CARD. SEE COVERAGE PAGE FOR LIST OF OPTIONAL AIRBAG ELECTRONICS COVERED PARTS).

B. MAINTENANCE SERVICES AND PARTS DESCRIBED IN YOUR VEHICLE'S OWNER'S MANUAL AS SUPPLIED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND OTHER NORMAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES AND PARTS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: ALIGNMENTS; WHEEL BALANCING; TUNE-UPS; SPARK PLUGS AND SPARK PLUG WIRES; GLOW PLUGS; HOSES; DRIVE BELTS; BRAKE PADS; LININGS AND SHOES; DRUMS AND ROTORS AND WIPER BLADES. FILTERS, LUBRICANTS, COOLANTS, FLUIDS AND REFRIGERANTS WILL BE COVERED ONLY IF REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED DUE TO A COVERED FAILURE.

C. ANY COMPONENT NOT COVERED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER FOR THE FULL TERM OF THE VEHICLE WARRANTY IS EXCLUDED.

D. ANY FAILURE RESULTING FROM COLLISION; INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL FIRE; THEFT; VANDALISM; RIOT; EXPLOSION; LIGHTNING; EARTHQUAKE; FREEZING; RUST OR CORROSION; WINDSTORM; HAIL; WATER OR FLOOD; ACTS OF GOD; SALT; ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE; CONTAMINATION OR LOSS OF FLUIDS, FUELS, COOLANTS OR LUBRICANTS.

E. ANY FAILURE CAUSED BY MISUSE; ABUSE; NEGLIGENCE; LACK OF NORMAL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED BY THE MANUFACTURER'S MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE FOR YOUR VEHICLE; IMPROPER SERVICING BY YOU AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS CONTRACT; SLUDGE BUILD-UP OR NOT MAINTAINING PROPER LEVELS OF LUBRICANTS AND/OR COOLANTS; OR NOT PROTECTING THE VEHICLE FROM FURTHER DAMAGE WHEN A FAILURE HAS OCCURRED.

F. ANY REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF A COVERED PART IF A FAILURE HAS NOT OCCURRED OR IF THE WEAR ON THAT PART HAS NOT EXCEEDED THE FIELD TOLERANCES PERMITTED BY THE MANUFACTURER.

G. IF ANY ALTERATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE TO YOUR VEHICLE OR YOU ARE USING, OR HAVE USED, YOUR VEHICLE IN A MANNER NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER. THIS WILL INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO, THE FAILURE OF ANY CUSTOM OR ADD-ON PART; ANY FRAME OR SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS; LIFT KITS; OVERSIZED/UNDERSIZED TIRES OR WHEELS; TRAILER HITCHES; AND OR MODIFICATIONS TO THE ENGINE, EMISSIONS OR EXHAUST SYSTEMS.

H. IF YOUR ODOMETER HAS CEASED TO WORK AND REPAIRS HAVE NOT BEEN IMMEDIATELY MADE; THE ODOMETER HAS BEEN ALTERED IN ANY WAY SUBSEQUENT TO PURCHASE; OR IF VEHICLE'S TRUE MILEAGE CANNOT BE DETERMINED.

I. ANY LIABILITY FOR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR FOR INJURY TO OR DEATH OF ANY PERSONS ARISING OUT OF THE OPERATION, MAINTENANCE OR USE OF YOUR VEHICLE, WHETHER OR NOT RELATED TO THE PARTS COVERED. LOSS OF TIME, PROFIT, INCONVENIENCE, OR ANY OTHER LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM A FAILURE (EXCEPT AS PROVIDED UNDER THE BENEFITS OR COVERAGES HEREIN.)

J. REPAIRS TO SEIZED OR DAMAGED ENGINES DUE TO CONTINUED OPERATION WITHOUT SUFFICIENT LUBRICANTS ORCOOLANT. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING CERTAIN THAT THE OIL AND TEMPERATURE WARNING LIGHTS/GAUGES ARE FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. YOU MUST PULL OFF THE ROAD IMMEDIATELY AND DISCONTINUE VEHICLE OPERATION WHEN EITHER OF THESE LIGHTS/GAUGES INDICATES INADEQUATE PROTECTION OR PERFORMANCE.

K. SALVAGED TITLE VEHICLES; WHEN RESPONSIBILITY FOR A REPAIR IS COVERED BY AN INSURANCE POLICY; WARRANTY FROM THE MANUFACTURER INCLUDING EXTENDED DRIVE TRAIN, MAJOR COMPONENT OR FULL COVERAGE WARRANTIES; A REPAIRER'S GUARANTEE/WARRANTY; OR FAILURES FOR WHICH THE MANUFACTURER HAS ANNOUNCED ITS RESPONSIBILITY THROUGH ANY MEANS, INCLUDING RECALL CAMPAIGNS AND FACTORY SERVICE BULLETINS.

L. IF YOUR VEHICLE IS USED FOR TOWING A TRAILER OR OTHER OBJECT OR VEHICLE WITHOUT BEING EQUIPPED WITH A FACTORY INSTALLED OR AUTHORIZED TOW PACKAGE; OR IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, RENTAL, TAXI, LIMOUSINE, LIVERY OR SHUTTLE, TOWING OR ROAD REPAIR, CONSTRUCTION, FARMING OR AGRICULTURAL PURPOSES, JOB SITE ACTIVITIES, HAULING, POLICE OR EMERGENCY SERVICES, PRINCIPAL OFF ROAD USE, RACING, COMPETITIVE DRIVING, SNOW REMOVAL, ROUTE-WORK, SERVICE OR REPAIR.

M. ANY FAILURE OCCURRING PRIOR TO THE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE, OR IF INFORMATION PROVIDED BY YOU OR A REPAIR FACILITY CANNOT BE VERIFIED AS ACCURATE OR IS FOUND TO BE DECEPTIVELY INACCURATE.

N. ANY FAILURE OCCURRING OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA OR CANADA .

O. DAMAGE CAUSED BY PRE-IGNITION DETONATION, PINGING, IMPROPER/CONTAMINATED FUEL OR IMPROPER ENGINE ADJUSTMENTS.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #17
Stay true to the Game!

I don't think there's a service contract out there that would pay to have a water pump, or timing chain changed without it actually being broken first. Preventitive maintance is not covered, even by the manufacturer. Most of the contracts that I've seen list all the parts that are covered, in order to make it look like your getting a good service contract, but your actually not. So I think this contract is pretty good because it shows you what's not covered.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you sure you went to Warrantydirect.com?
Ayup. That's the return address domain on the quote follow-up email they sent me, and I also recognized a lot of the boilerplate in what you pasted.

Quote:
... I did a quote to view the contracts on a 2000 Cabrio with 40,000 miles, and the most coverage that was offered was a 2 year 25,000 mile coverage.
Awfully optimistic of you on the mileage, I'm over 103K.

All I did was go to the main page and click on the "get a quote" thingum.

Quote:
The contract I have is called Secure Care.
The one they handed me is called "Power Shield" so yeah, we're talking about two different policies as I expected. Or rather, "hoped"... you wouldn't want to be saddled with this one for the life of your vehicle.

I won't paste the whole thing but here are some selected quotes from the contract.

The maximum limit of liability per covered vehicle is $6000. The limit of liability per covered component is as follows: $3,300 in engine claims; $2,200 in transmission claims; $1,500 in differential claims; and $300 in emergency roadside assistance claims... Once the maximum limit of liability has been reached, this Contract, its transfer and cancellation rights, terminate.

You must... Change the engine oil and filter within sixty (60) days of the warranty start date... Have the engine oil and filter changed by a commercial service facility every four (4) months or four thousand miles thereafter, whichever comes first. Proper documented and verifiable receipts for oil and engine filter changes will be required in the event of a claim. Hand written receipts will not be accepted. Receipts must be on licensed repair facility letterhead and include date and mileage at time of service.

And here are samples of "we won't pay for a covered part if it's damaged by the failure of a non-covered part, nor will we pay for certain other 'covered' parts unless they are damaged by other covered parts":

This Contract [does not cover]... damage resulting from Failure of non-covered parts. This Contract covers ONLY the components/parts listed below... Transmission case, transfer case & torque converter case, ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a lubricated internal part.

Sounds like the one you have is much more reasonable and comprehensive.

Rick

EDIT: You posted as I was composing my message, so I'll just tack this on here...

Quote:
I don't think there's a service contract out there that would pay to have a water pump, or timing chain changed without it actually being broken first. Preventitive maintance is not covered, even by the manufacturer.
Oh, absolutely. That bit was intended as humor (hence the "of course," the suggestion of letting one's timing belt break (ouch!) and the smiley face).

Also, the contract they presented to me did list all the fiddly bits that are covered (along with the stuff they wouldn't cover). Like I said, it sounds like yours is a much better contract... which makes perfect sense, for a newer vehicle. To be honest, I wasn't expecting them to even offer anything for a car with over 100K on it!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
Stay true to the Game!

Rick Rae:

I think that power shield thing isn't a good contract. Sorry if I came off the wrong way, but I've heard only good things about warrantydirect.com. But we'll have to wait and see until I actually make a claim. A lot of dealerships sell service contracts similar to the Power Shield and they end up thinking they have bumper to bumper, but only have minimum coverage. Ohh well!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #20
Stay true to the Game!

I think 100K is the tipping point. Most people don't maintain their vehicles. If you ever get a new car you should check out that site again. I think their reasonable and seem good.