$4 a gallon and back to their old ways - already! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #21
Registered Member

The speed limit is a balancing act, too fast and you use significantly more fuel overall.

Too slow and your roads will be too crowded, if the same numebr of cars are on the road overall.

10 hours at 70=700 miles
10 hours at 55=550 miles

That leaves the same car on the road 70/55 longer which adds up to more congestion which will cause more problems in a snowball effect.

The optimal speed should be where the most cars get the best mileage probably 55-60. This is considering the congestion effect as an equal factor.

Anither consideration would be where the trucks get the best mileage.

regards
gary

Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Why 35mph? Why not 15mph? Imagine how much fuel you could save with that national speed limit. Maybe we should make anything over 20mph a felony.
let's make burning fossil fuels a felony!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Too slow and your roads will be too crowded, if the same numebr of cars are on the road overall.
You're overlooking the fact that there's an effect in the other direction. At lower speeds, stopping distances are reduced, which means the cars can be closer together. So at a given moment, a given mile of highway can have more cars on it, before being filled to capacity.

If you viewed the road from above, you would see more metal and less pavement. The line of cars would look more and more like a train.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
If you viewed the road from above, you would see more metal and less pavement. The line of cars would look more and more like a train.
And less overall wind resistance.
waddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddie View Post
And less overall wind resistance.
Good point, I didn't think of that. Overall efficiency would improve because vehicles closer together would tend to create more of a drafting effect.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Ah, I love the closed minds. Sure, most people ARE stupid, but OTOH, some might get paid more per hour than driving slower saves, and some might be able to save a significant amount of time that they'd rather spend with their family (and are willing to purchase that time).
Nah most people are stupid...

and those people who you say can "buy" family time by speeding would rather be at work than at home earning more money to keep up their lifestyles. That and they would buy maybe minute of saved time by speeding...

People around here are still not going much faster than 55 on 55mph highways. Im going about 50-55 and sure Im getting past but their not whizzing by like they used to. Still get the uppity douche bags in the 4 ton SUV's and crappy driving soccer moms but they usually get boxed in so they cant go much more than 55 lol
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #27
Registered Member

When cars are closer together, the "accordion" effect becomes more pronounced. Speed up, then slow down to a crawl or even a complete stop.

From what I understand, the mathematics of this are very complex and not at all well understood. I do know from my own observations that the closer together the cars are on the highway, the more likely this is to happen..

The "accordion" effect is extremely inefficient and fuel could be saved by higher speed travel that does not vary a great deal.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
That and they would buy maybe minute of saved time by speeding...
10% increase in average speed on a 100 minute daily commute would be 10 minutes bought. 20mph over 55 (75 being a common speed for speeders on 55mph highways) is about 40% over, and covers for time spent at traffic lights that can't go any faster, easily making a 10% increase in average speed. My commute is a little more than 100 minutes daily. Those are more realistic numbers than "maybe [one] minute".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumesucker View Post
From what I understand, the mathematics of this are very complex and not at all well understood. I do know from my own observations that the closer together the cars are on the highway, the more likely this is to happen..
Interesting reading on this:
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/amateur.../traffic1.html
Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #29
Registered Member

"Interesting reading"

Excellent link, thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I read that a while back, it is indeed interesting.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote