40.8mpg on 92 Civic VX - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #21
Registered Member

No, the MAP sensor bolts to bracket #8 on the top of the intake manifold.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post

That diagram shows where that little vacuum sensor should be and the hoses that should connect to it. And yes, the top of it is supposed to come off that easily.

edit:

It's # 11 in the diagram.

#15 is the MAP which bolts onto the top of the throttle body. Bracket 8 is for the throttle cable.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #23
VX trainee

OK, after a little more investigation today, the little tab is there on the intake manifold for #11 to bolt to, but it's not drilled or tapped. That seems weird to me. Maybe I'll drill and tap it later on, when I'm feeling adventurous.
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
That diagram shows where that little vacuum sensor should be and the hoses that should connect to it. And yes, the top of it is supposed to come off that easily.

edit:

It's # 11 in the diagram.

#15 is the MAP which bolts onto the top of the throttle body. Bracket 8 is for the throttle cable.
Dan is correct on all accounts. The item with the "top hat" that we are talking about is called the purge solenoid. It controls the vacuum going to the charcoal canister that resides under the fuel filter. The top part is just a filter for when the solenoid is not triggered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bfox View Post
OK, after a little more investigation today, the little tab is there on the intake manifold for #11 to bolt to, but it's not drilled or tapped. That seems weird to me. Maybe I'll drill and tap it later on, when I'm feeling adventurous.
That is weird that it isn't drilled or tapped...Your intake manifold is only about 2" in diameter after the throttle body, correct?

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 AM   #25
VX trainee

That makes sense. Yes....no hole in the tab. I checked my "spare" engine, it has one.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bfox View Post
That makes sense. Yes....no hole in the tab. I checked my "spare" engine, it has one.
I am suspicious of a swapped intake manifold then if the tab is not drilled and tapped for the Canister Purge Solenoid.

This is going to sound really weird, but can you get a picture of your throttle body from above while holding a golf ball above the manifold for size comparison?

I know a golf ball is just small enough to get stuck in a VX throttle body.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #27
VX trainee

Now you've got me paranoid....I looked at the left front of the engine....D15B.

Shouldn't it be a D15Z?! Has the "Honda VTEC-E" valve cover, which means nothing...other than I may have been screwed.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
Registered Member

After glancing through some of your previous posts, it sounds like you have a JDM D15B transplanted into your VX. Don't worry too much yet. There was a JDM equivalent motor to the D15Z1 in Japan. The engine code was D15B (unfortunately all the 1.5L engines in Japan were stamped D15B). Best way to tell if you have the ETi motor (that was the model name I believe that had the equivalent motor) is to pull the valve cover and check for roller rockers:

Bad picture but the only one I could find right now.

Also check for an EGR Valve on the intake manifold near the distributor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VXrollerrockers.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	963  

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #29
VX trainee

Well that makes me feel better.....I think I've seen the EGR valve you mentioned. Goes along with the story I got from the seller.."VX engine-imported from Japan".

I'll make sure it has the roller rockers, too. Obviously one difference is the absence of the Canister Purge Solenoid. Any other differences from the D15Z1 that you know of? Thanks for your expertise, BTW!