40.8mpg on 92 Civic VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The little black solenoid (with the "top hat" on it, number 11 in the picture below) doesn't look to be hooked up properly. There is a vacuum nipple on the intake manifold under that tab in your first picture. That nipple is supposed to be attached to the bottom nipple on the black solenoid that is hanging behind your intake manifold. The second nipple on the black solenoid is supposed to be running to a coffee can sized black canister that sits under the fuel filter assembly near the steering rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bfox
Yes, it has an impressive "whale penis"
<crocodile dundee>That's not a whale penis, this is a whale penis</crocodile dundee>

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

I would look into finding the oem intake for the VX. With mine installed I noticed the power-band is smoother, low RPM power has increased, and the car warms up a lot faster since it takes all the air from the engine bay.

They cx and dx intake pipe are identical, and the filter box is the same for all the civics of that generation. Not sure if the resonator box behind the bumper is VX specific or not...probably isnt. I found mine more $15 complete/used. You should be able to find another since so many people have ripped out those intakes in favor of something else.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
VX trainee

I've always wanted to say this: "Mine's bigger than yours".

And it's chrome. Thanks for the info...I'll check it out tomorrow morning! Will check into OEM intake. Still have several "improvements" to undo on this project.
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO

Just a comparison shot between the OEM VX and the Whale Penis I put on. The end of the new intake is 4" diameter, the widest part of the intake filter is 6" diameter and the widest diameter of the intake tube is ~7", lol. Might be a little bigger than your 3" chrome tube, but yours might be longer, haha.

so what other atrocities do you have to undo on your VX?

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
VX trainee

Yeah, I'm going to have to get the OEM intake and filter. I really DON'T like the "custom" filter, just hangs there, probably also louder than stock.

Oh jeez, where do I start on atrocities to fix? Crappy paint job (didn't paint inside doors, underside of hood, fuel door, hatch, etc. those are still red), he apparently rattle can painted the interior, including the seats, dash, headliner. Put in black carpet out of I don't know what, doesn't fit right. Both speakers blown (already fixed them). "Racing" steering wheel...that was REALLY special! SRS light was on all the time, due to no air bag assembly. Bought replacement OEM steering wheel w/air bag, thank God he didn't cut off the plugs under the dash. Had vacuum cruise control that was a joke, never worked...at least I could use the wiring when I put in an electric cruise that works great!

I know..shouldn't have bought it, but VXes are damn hard to find in Kansas, had to go to Lincoln to get this one. Oh, and he had it lowered so much I was scraping road kill off the highway....installed OEM springs (he cut the originals) and new struts. It'll be like new with another $3-4,000 invested!
Old 12-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
VX trainee

40.8 mpg on 92 Civic VX...chp 2

OK, fixed the idle, still trying to figure out what the black solenoid with the "top hat" is.....find pic attached.

When vacuum line is disconnected, it revs the engine up about 500 RPM.

If anybody knows what this is, please enlighten me, and thanks for your help!

BTW...where is it supposed to be attached? Just laying on the intake manifold now!
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
Registered Member

Is that not your MAP sensor?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #18
Registered Member

MAF? you mean?
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
MAF? you mean?
Hondas use MAP sensors not MAF.

They measure pressure not flow.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #20
VX trainee

So I'm probably missing a bolt, which would put it on the back of the intake manifold, according to TomO's diagram above. Is the "top hat" supposed to be loose? It comes right off..