550hp and 30mpg First Goal - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: 550hp and 30mpg First Goal

Nice!

With regards to the Rhoades lifters, they depend highly on your combination as to whether they will provide any benefit. Generally speaking, they are most beneficial when you have a cam that's just a bit too big. But if you haven't changed your cam, chances are that your cam is well-suited for your combination. There are many reports of decreased performance because of the Rhoades - it just so happened that they worked great for me but they might not have the benefit for you.

And I'm still waiting for a way to be able to change an engine's running temperature - run it hot for regular driving, then run it cold when you want some racing. I think a hot engine goes a long way toward MPG. I've visualized a way to have a dual-thermostat engine (a 160- and 195-degree thermostat in parallel with a valve), but I haven't ever been able to get it drawn up for production... Oh well. In the case of temperature you can't be blowing engines so safety does trump performance (unfortunately).

-BC

Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Nice!

With regards to the Rhoades lifters, they depend highly on your combination as to whether they will provide any benefit. Generally speaking, they are most beneficial when you have a cam that's just a bit too big. But if you haven't changed your cam, chances are that your cam is well-suited for your combination. There are many reports of decreased performance because of the Rhoades - it just so happened that they worked great for me but they might not have the benefit for you.

And I'm still waiting for a way to be able to change an engine's running temperature - run it hot for regular driving, then run it cold when you want some racing. I think a hot engine goes a long way toward MPG. I've visualized a way to have a dual-thermostat engine (a 160- and 195-degree thermostat in parallel with a valve), but I haven't ever been able to get it drawn up for production... Oh well. In the case of temperature you can't be blowing engines so safety does trump performance (unfortunately).

-BC
Thank you :-) I think my cam will like Rhoads lifters as it is a lot more duration at 050 than stock - hence the 50rwhp gain. I like your thinking re temp for mpg and power. My solution (?? untested yet) is to run a hot fuel/cold fuel by-pass based on engine demand. I have to try that

bazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
Lean Burn Mode

Very Nice Looking Car by the way!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

Like the trim on that car. It's got a burnt orange theme going on.
Arrowhead32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'm with you that we don't have to have small units for mpg. I like what you doing and I will keep an eye on your thread. Much of what your doing we do with diesel engines and I'm betting you reach your goals.

I don't have time to read all this tonight but BY FAR like its just my style.

I have increased my HP from 367 to 600 and my mpg from 15.6 to 20.7.....and climbing.

Water meth is next for me

My signature lists my mods
Amsoil by pass <> Auxiliary fuel filters <> Guages 4 everything <> Synthetic fluids throughout <> AFE Intake <> Intake tubes <> Kennedy Lift Pump <> EFI Programming <> Deep Oil & Tranny pans <> TransGo Shift kit <> Upgraded Fuel lines <> Data Logging analysis run weekly, monitored constantly <> Engine trimmed of unnecessary parts <> Shell fuel ONLY <> Oil Analysis monthly
Rollin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Registered Member

OP, you know that 12 cyl Jaguar with twin turbo did over 60mpg on imperial gallon during test drive from France to England, on sealed tank, Jeremy Clarkson driver, TopGear GB?
I doubt twin turbo 12 cyl is less powerful than your project.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote