60 mph - how do you do it? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay, and what do you do when you see something in the rearview?
I make sure they are paying attention due to the speed diff. If they don't look like they are going to go around early, then I ridge ride and make sure my LED markers are on so they don't run into me. It's better to know what is happening behind you with that kind of speed difference especially since my car only weighs about 1600 lbs .

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #22
Registered Member

Hazard flashers work well for people following too closely.

Or add some rear fog lights. That's what I have on the Volvo; I use them to give a heads up to people behind me.

They are red taillights, but have the brightness of brake lights, using the high-wattage filament in an 1157 bulb. In fog you can be seen from a greater distance. In daytime I normally drive with all lights off but the fogs are set in "on" position so as soon as I activate the headlights the taillights + "rear fogs" come on all at the same time. Usually this makes close followers back off quickly.

In the past I would let them see my brake lights work if the above didn't do the trick. Now of course I avoid using the brakes... I did use them yesterday though, on a newish van that was about 6'-8' from my bumper. For some reason he backed off quickly and then passed me....

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #23
Registered Member

A bumper sticker saying "Driving 60 mph in support of our troops" should keep anyone from getting too angry. Cutting our dependence on oil will help keep our men in uniform at home a lot more in coming years.

I look out the side windows more and enjoy the scenery. No sense looking at the guy behind me. That might make me mad and feed into a road rage kind of thing.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #24
Registered Member

Once I know a car realizes how slow I'm going I pretty much ignore them and relax. They can follow me close as long as it's not dangerously close, it may help reduce drag on my car .

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #25
Registered Member

When SUV's start tailgating me I smile knowing I'm helping them save some gas

Its not a problem if your in the right lane. Now if your doing the limit in the far left, different story.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #26
Registered Member

Just drive your game. I run 50 to 60 on 65 and 70 mph hwys all the time. They dont like,,, tuffy toe nails. I really dont care. They get to close to my bumper tail grabing. The last thing they might see before the steering wheel hits them in the face is my brake lights.

Ive also started reporting folks that road rage, use hand signals, tailgate, and such. It is against the law here and the Troopers want to know about it. We have min and max limits here. If you are between them the pissed off one has no case.

So drive your game. Dont worry about the so called normal folks.... LMAO,,, I even pick up slow travelers like myself.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #27
Registered Member

Let's say a car is behind you and it's getting too close. Pretend you're going to change lanes. They will speed up and drive past you. It's a psychological game.

It's the same as when I want to change lanes. I turn on my blinker. The person in the other lane will almost inevitably speed up. That's when I slow down and enjoy a wide-open lane to change into.

Spot the drivers who have less than average manners or intelligence (usually the same drivers). They are the easisest to control because they have tunnel vision and everything is a race to them. The best thing is, they even think they are winning. But I'm still getting them off my tail or getting them to clear a space so I can change lanes.

I just laugh and tell my wife, "It's like I have a remote control or something."

m
Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
When SUV's start tailgating me I smile knowing I'm helping them save some gas

Its not a problem if your in the right lane. Now if your doing the limit in the far left, different story.
You can always give them some free wiper fluid!

m
Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #29
Registered Member

I have to admit that doing 50mph on long trips is hard. Doing that speed in the city is easy because the freeway is only about 7 miles long anyway.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #30
Registered Member

My car is visually startling enough when seen from behind, that drivers coming up behind are already alert by the time they reach me. My main problem is the person sitting in the passing lane next to me while they are checking out my car while traffic continues to pile up behind them. Even worse is the guy who comes flying past me, then slows down until I pass them so they can have a double take, and then sits there inspecting my car. Boy, does this type of behavior piss off the people behind them, but they have never taken it out on me. I haven't had a case of road rage since I extreme aero-modded my car. Then again, I'm usually going at or above the speed limit except on the uphill climbs, where I'll usually be at to 5mph below the posted speed limit.