60 mph - how do you do it? - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
If someone needs to merge, I slow slightly to let them in as usual (if I can't safely or politely merge to the center lane). If they appear skiddish, then I drift slightly to the right, into their on-ramp. So far, each one immediately merges without slowing, then I track back to the lane as they come over.
Ya, this works well. It's a way of telling them that they are in front of you, and you are not going to fight them for it.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #62
Supporting Member

jcp123 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hmm, interesting tactic. I usually just moved over a lane or two especially when coming up to an interchange, let the sheeple over on the right do their thing, then scoot back into the right lane when the confusion cleared itself up.
I try to stay in the right lane as much as I can. I may try the "drift right" tactic though, because I do lose some good glides when there's no room to pop one lane over to let them in.

On my drive home, I stay in the far right lane on the 710 North until I see the Atlantic/Bandini exit. When I am near that exit, I pop one lane over. The reason is, the on-ramp for that is the most dangerous I have seen. The cars and trucks sometimes zoom on in blocks of 5 to 10, like a mini convoy, and just *fight* their way onto the freeway. This on-ramp is near the rail yards that serve as the gateway to the rest of the county (maybe 10 sets of track side by side), so that is why I think it has heavy traffic.

The funny part is that just before the on-ramp is a big sign for a Spanish radio station, El Piolin! The picture of the d-jay dude is really creepy (I think on purpose), so I call it the sign of El Diablo. Soooooo, the on-ramp is the on-ramp of El Diablo!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
The cars and trucks sometimes zoom on in blocks of 5 to 10, like a mini convoy, and just *fight* their way onto the freeway. This on-ramp is near the rail yards that serve as the gateway to the rest of the county (maybe 10 sets of track side by side), so that is why I think it has heavy traffic.

The funny part is that just before the on-ramp is a big sign for a Spanish radio station, El Piolin! The picture of the d-jay dude is really creepy (I think on purpose), so I call it the sign of El Diablo. Soooooo, the on-ramp is the on-ramp of El Diablo!

CarloSW2
Of the known 'El Diablo' ramps on my usual drives, I just match the speed of the center lane (take an FE hit on accel/higher speeds) and let them do their thing...then it's back to the right. No guarantees that foolish accelerators will perform the 2-lane slide and force harsh braking (argh).

'Clench -- if they're Yiddish, then they generally have the chutzpah to accelerate and make it over, or perhaps schmooze their way in. I then bid them "Mazel tov" and they're on their way
Old 08-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #64

HEY!! I resemble that comment!

My speed limit is 60mph most of my trip to work. Seldom does anyone do under 70mph in the morning. I keep it 65mph to try not to impede the flow of traffic since it is a totally backwoods country road with a high volume of traffic. What cracks me up is at least I catch up EVERY morning to a little old lady in a Nissan Sentra that sets the cruise on 52mph (I suspect she is mileage guru queen and that's here "sweet spot") and has a HUGE line of traffic behind her.

Good thing is almost everyone seems content with the speed limit in the evening. No bobbing and weaving behind you, riding your rear etc. I can normally set at 60 and be content........of course this is nearly winding out my little NA diesel VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain View Post
Get a volkswagen naturally aspirated diesel
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 AM   #65
Registered Member

I just remember that even tho I drive a SUV (diesel tho)...at 60-62mpg I am getting 30+mpg and everyone that is passing me is most likely getting much less at 70mpg. Of course that doesn't include some members here
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #66

+1 for all the above.

I had my mind right after I started riding my Harley, after having a fastbike. It's a whole 'nother world. You save money on watches since you no longer have any interest in getting anywhere fast.

Be a rock in the stream and let them flow around you. But I wouldn't quit looking in the rearview! I always know what's going on around me and it can really come in handy.

I was cruising along at 65mph on the open highway last weekend and looked up just in time to see some dark car coming up FAST behind me. There was somebody with a map open in front of them and they (she) couldn't see the road in front of her. I had only enough time to recognize the situation and jerk the car over to the shoulder. She went right through where I just was.

Just go the speed you want and let everybody else do their own thing. But, my need for speed is still there. Just....gotta....control....it........
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #67
Registered Member

So it begs the question: If poeple aren't really in any need to speed, why do they do it?

And further: What would it take to correct it besides so called 'education' and higher fuel prices?

Here's my list-

1.) Anger management courses
2.) Take the fun out of driving

3.) hmmm

err

well . .

Oh wait, I got it - put more fun into driving slower

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #68

I've done the math, and I still do drive fast. If I had more money, I'd do it more.

I also feel like I want to reduce fuel consumption. I do that, too.

Same line to draw, only drawn different places for different folks...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #69

I see your point, but I disagree that it affects you and people like you most of the time...and me when I'm puttin' along. Except for tailgaters and people that pull directly in front of me. There's a special place in Hell for them.

When I'm puttin' along, those people (speeders) just aren't involved in my drive. I stop. I start. I move along. They move around me. What kind of bother is it except for bruising the sensibilities of "greener" people?

The simple act of them going fast doesn't affect my driving slowly and carefully, only the bad drivers do that. And, for sure, bad drivers drive all kinds of vehicles including high mpg ones.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #70
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post
The simple act of them going fast doesn't affect my driving slowly and carefully, only the bad drivers do that. And, for sure, bad drivers drive all kinds of vehicles including high mpg ones.
It doesn't bother me so much... until a clump of fast moving cars all have to slow down for some reason -- standing wave traffic

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote