62.6mpg trip! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Supporting Member

62.6mpg trip!

Ran to church last night without the family. It was hot 98+. I decided I'd run 50mph. 62.1 going 63.1 coming back. The trip there had 10 miles bumping around town for errands in 6:00pm traffic. I'm stoked the car is finally turning decent numbers in

62.5 mpg at 50mph. I have a slew of tweaks planned. My target goals are 70mph @50mpg and 50mph @70mpg. Its starting to look possible.

Next on my list is alternator switch, fan override, a/c compressor override, drl delete, some homebrew LED, AFR gauge, and an EFIE.

For aero I'll be doing front skirts, sealed wheel wells, sealed hood, mirror delete, antennae delete/move, Sealed ducting through the radiator.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
Ran to church last night without the family. It was hot 98+. I decided I'd run 50mph. 62.1 going 63.1 coming back. The trip there had 10 miles bumping around town for errands in 6:00pm traffic. I'm stoked the car is finally turning decent numbers in

62.5 mpg at 50mph. I have a slew of tweaks planned. My target goals are 70mph @50mpg and 50mph @70mpg. Its starting to look possible.

Next on my list is alternator switch, fan override, a/c compressor override, drl delete, some homebrew LED, AFR gauge, and an EFIE.

For aero I'll be doing front skirts, sealed wheel wells, sealed hood, mirror delete, antennae delete/move, Sealed ducting through the radiator.

Man, you are hitting it outa the park mileage wise! I'm pushing to try and get up to 40 MPG. Isn't my Cavalier kinda a "cousin" car to your Saturn? What are your secrets? Maybe I need to find a church that is further away from my house than the one I'm going to...

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Supporting Member

lovemysan -

Congrats! My digital AFR gauge has been great. It's a must for GasSavers.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Driving on E

Congrats!
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob View Post
Man, you are hitting it outa the park mileage wise! I'm pushing to try and get up to 40 MPG. Isn't my Cavalier kinda a "cousin" car to your Saturn? What are your secrets? Maybe I need to find a church that is further away from my house than the one I'm going to...
No a/c, feather pedaling@50mph, HAI, patience. Those are the main secrets to my mileage. Your car should knock down 40mpg at 55mph. I used to get 34mpg in my wifes 3 speed sunfire on highway trips.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
No a/c, feather pedaling@50mph, HAI, patience. Those are the main secrets to my mileage. Your car should knock down 40mpg at 55mph. I used to get 34mpg in my wifes 3 speed sunfire on highway trips.
55 is the speed that I drive! Thanx for the tips.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
forgive me, i'm fairly new. what is an AFR gauge. my 95 olds is not scan gauge compatible if that means anything.
AFR stands for Air Fuel Ratio. The gauge monitors the output voltage of the oxygen (02) sensor in your exhaust manifold. All modern cars are eligible for AFR gauges. I purchased this one and built it :

Lean/Rich fuel monitor ...
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2285

You can see it in action here :

Batman we have lean burn! 49.6 mpg!
http://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=71

It's the thing with the "14.6" in red.

Alot of air/fuel ratio gauges are just little colored LEDs. I wanted the number because that's the ratio that we talk about all the time. You don't even need the gauge, though, you can use a multimeter to monitor the voltage coming out of the 02 sensor, typically between 0 and 1 volts. If you know the voltage map, you know the AFR.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:

If you can get to 70 mph you are doing real well. Your current number is now a little better than what my car will do, I'd say, since I got to 56 mpg at 60 mph, and slowing down by 10 mph would only get me to 61 or 62 max. My car will never beat yours because you have a better 5th gear ratio.

I'll admit I haven't continued attempting improvements in the past year or so because I felt I'd hit the laws of decreasing returns where the cost of mods exceeded potential payback.

So, give us a list of the mods at this point and try to credit which mods got how much of the improvement?
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

Congratulations, keep up the great work!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
Supporting Member

I don't know where I got 62.6mpg, the tank was actually 62.07mpg. I even wrote it down in my log. DOH!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]