75-80mph gas mileage - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
2010 from http://www.hyundaiholyoke.com
5-speed manual
Gear ratios
First 3.615:1
Second 2.053:1
Third 1.370:1
Fourth 1.031:1
Fifth 0.837:1
Reverse 3.583:1
Final drive 4.056:1
Tires P185/65HR14 P175/70TR14 P205/45VR16 (Depending on trim level)

2008 from http://nwautos.nwsource.com/motors/r...undai/Accent/6
Trans Description Cont.: Manual w/OD
First Gear Ratio (:1): 3.62
Second Gear Ratio (:1): 2.05
Third Gear Ratio (:1): 1.37
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1): 1.03
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.84
Reverse Ratio (:1): 3.58
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1): 4.06
Tire Size: P175/70TR14

According to those sources, the ratios are nearly identical. I suspect that they are identical and the numbers I found for 2008 are just rounded off.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuripot View Post
I found that page also. If you read carefully you will see that the automatics mileage went up the same amount as the manual but they don't claim any gear change in the auto.

They don't give the specs for the 2010. Just the 2009 which haven't changed since the model was introduced.

I think it's smoke and mirrors like the Chevy Cobalt.

I hope I'm wrong, but I want SPECS. for the 2010.
You might be right! I'm almost tempted to say there is a conspiracy because while under the "new EPA MPG numbers" these cars get slightly better mileage than their non fuel economy counterparts but if you look at the OLD EPA numbers and their CAFE numbers, both the Cobalt XFE and the Accent Blue get the same mileage, to the hundredth of a percent! Now before you get too excited, there is something I should tell you..

Under the OLD EPA MPG ratings and CAFE ratings, all they do is city and highway driving with something like 20 stops along the way, they do not use the AC and they accelerate gently, no faster than 3.3 mph/sec for city driving and 3.2mph/sec for highway driving. Under the NEW epa MPG guidelines, they not only do the first two tests the exact same way as for the CAFE and OLD EPA MPG ratings, but they add a few more tests, specifically they add a "High Speed Test" which is just highway test but driving 80mph AND accelerating at a rate of 8.46mph/sec, they add Cold Weather startup which is exactly the same city test as before but driving during 20F temperatures, and finally they add the real kicker, the A/C test which is basically the city test except they have the A/C on AND they accelerate at a rate of 5.1mph/sec.

So to conclude, I think how they're able to get that "XFE" moniker and the Accent "Blue" is not from changing the transmission at all! But instead reprogram the ECU into NOT doing certain things like charging the alternator or runs the A/C less aggressively or something, maybe it detects driving on the EPA cycle which REALLY wouldn't surprise me as Toyota was accused of pulling the same ****. Though if that was true, then it'd get better mileage on the CAFE cycle as well, so to look at it positively, I think they reprogrammed the ECU so that less fuel is injected for harsh acceleration but to look at it negatively, maybe they played around with the A/C or used an underdrive on the A/C pulley so that it doesn't operate as strongly.

Either way, this is good news for hypermilers as this means that the "blue" and the "XFE" variants are nothing special and you're perfectly fine with the car you have assuming you have the same car but without the "blue" or "XFE" designations..

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #43
DRW
Registered Member

Good info. Another trick they might have used is to program the ECU to turn off the A/C when the throttle is opened more than a certain ammount. I know the 1995-1999 Mitsu Eclipse turns off the A/C when TPS goes over 85%. I'm sure they could easily turn off the A/C or control the alternator at lower levels of accelleration.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

I know K-cars did that too. The a/c would shut off over about 60% throttle. I hated it. The a/c would shut off every time you drove up a decent sized hill. Once we drive my mom's LeBarron to visit my great aunt in Wilkes-Barre PA. On one stretch of I-81 you're going up a mountain for 5 or 6 miles. In the middle of summer driving without a/c was unbearable.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I know K-cars did that too. The a/c would shut off over about 60% throttle. I hated it. The a/c would shut off every time you drove up a decent sized hill. Once we drive my mom's LeBarron to visit my great aunt in Wilkes-Barre PA. On one stretch of I-81 you're going up a mountain for 5 or 6 miles. In the middle of summer driving without a/c was unbearable.
lol my dad had a 81 chevette with an automatic with A/C as a work car, he said on hills you had to manually shutoff the AC to get up hills haha
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #46
Registered Member

I drove a Dodge Colt once, had to turn off the A/C to merge on the interstate. In my 91 ranger you have to downshift out of overdrive in a headwind to keep up to 65 mph but it does get over 25 mpg highway.