89 Wagovan transmission, what HF will work? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

89 Wagovan transmission, what HF will work?

Hello: I am trying to figure out what year or years of HF transmissions I can use to put in my "wagovan". The more I look, the more confused I get. Here is what I've found;
-the diamater and # splines for an 88 is different than an 89.
-the Wagovan appears be the same gear box as an SX.

Here are some of my questions;
-Can I use a 89-91 HF without making any other changes, or will I need to change the flywheel, also.
-Is their any way to use a 87 or 88 HF transmission.
-Other than the hydraulic clutch, is it possible to use a CX or VX transmission from a 92-95?

I know several of you have put HF transmission's in your car's. Does anyone know the answers to these questions, or know of a reference source I can check out, to figure these answers out.

Thanks, everyone.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Hello: I am trying to figure out what year or years of HF transmissions I can use to put in my "wagovan". The more I look, the more confused I get. Here is what I've found;
-the diamater and # splines for an 88 is different than an 89.
-the Wagovan appears be the same gear box as an SX.

Here are some of my questions;
-Can I use a 89-91 HF without making any other changes, or will I need to change the flywheel, also.
-Is their any way to use a 87 or 88 HF transmission.
-Other than the hydraulic clutch, is it possible to use a CX or VX transmission from a 92-95?

I know several of you have put HF transmission's in your car's. Does anyone know the answers to these questions, or know of a reference source I can check out, to figure these answers out.

Thanks, everyone.
If your car was made between 89-91, you can use a 89-91 HF transmission. You can use a 88 HF transmission if you swap out the clutch/flywheel/axles, but that's kind of a hassle.

The CX/VX transmission will bolt up, but the hydrolic clutch will be an issue for you. I believe the only difference between the 92-95 and 89-91 transmissions is the throwout bearing. Just use the appropriate one for the transmission you're using and you'll be fine.

The best bet is to just find a HF transmission and use your existing axles, etc. I put a WTB ad on honda-tech for you today hoping that someone has one. Since you're in Southern California odds are someone down there has an extra one to spare.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Totally Awesome!!! Thanks for the information!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Keep in mind that the 92-95 will only bolt to the block - not the frame. That one is a no-go, at least as a bolt-in.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicminded
Keep in mind that the 92-95 will only bolt to the block - not the frame. That one is a no-go, at least as a bolt-in.
Ah, didn't think about that... so it 92-95 will require custom mounts then too, eh?

If that's the case I'd say that going 92-95 tranny in a 88-91 is just too much work, especially since you have to convert to hyrdo as well.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:59 AM   #6

Yeah, best bet is to get an 89-91 HF tranny and use your pre-existing axles.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. It sounds like I just need to keep my eye out until I find one at a "cheapy" price I feel I can afford. At least being reasonably comfortable about what I need to look for is a great help.