'93 Chevy 2500 4x4 + Trailer: Help! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

'93 Chevy 2500 4x4 + Trailer: Help!

I haven't been around much lately -- family stuff. Specifically, a parent is consolidating into a smaller house, and has about 7 decades worth of family history to give to me or store otherwise.

The house was built in 1932, and occupied by my Grandparents and most recently my Dad since its construction. For safekeeping, I have to transport antiques, boxes of pictures, and old tools from Akron, Ohio to Kansas City.

Shopping around, the cheapest one-way rental truck was $1100 Yeah, out of the price range (I wanted a cargo van -- like a Ford Econoline, but they don't rent them one-way). The next option was to fix-up the farm truck and borrow it: radiator and thermostat: $300. Now we're getting somewhere.

But here's the grand FE question based on the following:

1993 Chevy 2500 (3/4-Ton) Extended Cab, Full Length Bed 4x4, with locking cap.
350 cid Carb'd V-8
Auto Trans with 4.11 rear end (ouch)
130K original miles with a new starter, tranny, brakes + lines, etc.
Trailer = Rental box, something relatively small.
Distance 800 miles each way (one-way trailer).

Gets 11 mpg on a usual tank.

How do I improve FE on this beast?

Aside from technique, slower cruise, and over-inflated tires -- I'm at a loss. I borrowing this from my Mom, so I can't modify it too much. Being pre-OBDII is also a challenge. Plus reliability -- I hope it makes the trip OK. A mechanic is to inspect the works when the rad is installed to give the final blessing.

I might have time to rig a feedback device for fuel consumption, but that's going to be the biggest kicker -- potentially 80 gallons either direction (fewer heading back East).

I could swing a mini-van, but I'd have to strap the seats to the roof and put a tarp over them. Perhaps option "B"?

What do you all think??? I'm torn...

RH77

Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Who put a carb on that thing? A 1993 model came with throttle body injection.

The 4.11s will actually help with fuel economy with the trailer, mileage won't suffer nearly as bad as it would have with 3.42s and a heavy trailer.

Since this is a one-time trip, just suck it up. Make sure the air cleaner and fuel filter are changed, and make sure it actually is a carb and not throttle body. Change the O2 sensor if it is a TBI.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Tbi

Hmm...you're right -- the L05 is a TBI engine.

The mechanic is looking at it as we speak. I just got an update that there may be some compression problems, but we'll see.

RH77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post

The 4.11s will actually help with fuel economy with the trailer, mileage won't suffer nearly as bad as it would have with 3.42s and a heavy trailer.

Since this is a one-time trip, just suck it up. Make sure the air cleaner and fuel filter are changed, and make sure it actually is a carb and not throttle body. Change the O2 sensor if it is a TBI.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Does it have manual or automatic front hubs? Either way, it would probably be a good idea to pull the front drive shaft, less weight and if the hubs are automatic less rotational mass.

Change the diff fluids if they haven't seen the light for a while.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

drive it one way then sell the truck buy a bike for the road home
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Supporting Member

In the past I find that uhaul has high rates into big cities and cheap rates out. So consider getting a quote that drops the truck off 40-50 miles out of town. It may or may not be cheaper, its just an idea I had.

Maybe rent a truck south of akron then drive in load the stuff ,etc.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post

yea just suck it up man... cant pinch pennies every day when my dad move dall my sisters crap 1000miles to colorado he had is aerostar van crammed, fully filled uhaul trailer and got about 20-18mpg... could only go about 60-70 the whole way and hills killed the speed but made it!

its not liek your planning to do this every weekend or somehting...id rather have a good running/strong running truck than one that may over heat froma grill block or whatnot. ( woudl suggest NOT doing this!, the tranny cooling lines go thru/in front of the radiator, if tranny gets too hot and cooks itself or burns the fluid then your stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead tranny and a HUGE repair bill. towing a trialer puts alot of added strain on the tranny, heating it up more than usuall)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:09 AM   #8
Registered Member

How much stuff? If it is under 1000 lbs then maybe get yourself a $200 utility trailer from menards/harbor freight. I've had no need for a pickup since getting one. Managed 45mpg with it full of camping crud behind the saturn last summer and it folds up and rolls to the back wall of the garage when not in use:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42709

Heres a $500 1500 lb jobbie that can hold more but doesn't fold up for storage:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93747
Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
How much stuff? If it is under 1000 lbs then maybe get yourself a $200 utility trailer from menards/harbor freight. I've had no need for a pickup since getting one. Managed 45mpg with it full of camping crud behind the saturn last summer and it folds up and rolls to the back wall of the garage when not in use:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42709

Heres a $500 1500 lb jobbie that can hold more but doesn't fold up for storage:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93747

depending on what your moving, some stuff isnt good to get wet or its somewhat valuable. in other wards its easier to put all the water fearing stuff and valuable stuff in an enclosed box that you can lock. typically i would say camping stuff is designed to get wet. his moms china cabnet i doubt its waterproof. but its always an option, just get alot of tarps and strong rope to hold it down...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

Drive the 2 lane roads at 55 mph...inflate the tires...change all the fluids...lube the driveshafts....use some acetone/xylol/GP7. Vacuum gauge.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote