93 Honda Civic VX horrible fuel economy - Page 12 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #111
Registered Member

Re: 93 Honda Civic VX horrible fuel economy

Okay, I'm letting the car cool off, but will go for it later. Do you guys recommend re-installing a clamp of some type?

Thoughts: According to majestic Honda's image, it makes it seem like you have an either/or of the two 'valves/tubes'. Either the elbow at location 6 in the diagram or a straight valve/tube(#16 instead of #6). Also, instead of the straight valve at location #2, perhaps #15 instead. It would seem like you'd have one of each, not 2 straight or 2 of the 90-degree elbow/valves.

Question, though, it wouldn't make sense to have an actual valve at each location? May another user be choking their PCV system if there was this previous 'unknown' valve(still present) and instead of addressing that one, installed another VALVE at where the elbow is at #6?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #112
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
Okay, I'm letting the car cool off, but will go for it later. Do you guys recommend re-installing a clamp of some type?
all vacuum hoses and water hoses should have some sort of spring clip or screw clip. I prefer spring clips because you don't need a screw driver for them. Spring clip, when squeezed, should fit around the hose and then clamp relatively tightly around the hose. You open the clip by prying the two halves together, usually with pliers. You can buy these at auto parts stores just like the vacuum hoses and PCV valve you're going to need, you put the clip on the hose before you install the hose.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
all vacuum hoses and water hoses should have some sort of spring clip or screw clip. I prefer spring clips because you don't need a screw driver for them. Spring clip, when squeezed, should fit around the hose and then clamp relatively tightly around the hose. You open the clip by prying the two halves together, usually with pliers.
Right, that's what the problem is at some of the vacuum/breather hoses on the car now. The originals were left in the same place for so long, the spring clips 'indention' has created a glue like seal onto the the metal the hose is being clamped to.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #114
Registered Member

Quote:
Right, that's what the problem is at some of the vacuum/breather hoses on the car now. The originals were left in the same place for so long, the spring clips 'indention' has created a glue like seal onto the the metal the hose is being clamped to.
That's normal, get some strong pliers and just press them open and rotate them until they get free. Just keep going at it and they should come off, be patient. I think you should be able to figure out how they come off since you know the hose only goes one way and how the spring clips are suppose to be opened. They may FEEL like they're glued on, but they're not. Don't try cutting off the hoses with a hack saw just in case you decide to cut the part where the rubber hose is covering a metal nipple.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #115
Registered Member

I use a pair of general use pliers over the hose/nipple and simply spin the hose 1/4 turn. It frees them right up without damage.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #116
Registered Member

Well, I got the PCV valve out and here are some pics. I cleaned it up some with Gumout spray but the valve sounds weak compared to PCV valves I typically hear new, I have to shake it really hard and I hear/feel a faint tap. It may be the original PCV valve! It even has original P/N and says JAPAN on the side. P/N is 17130-P07-A01

Click to zoom on the 2nd and 3rd pic.

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/1003455y.jpg/

http://img23.imageshack.us/i/1003458y.jpg/

http://img714.imageshack.us/i/1003459c.jpg/
Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #117
Registered Member

Oh, and it turns out it had a clip on it, it was just so covered in grime! I want to clean up the area where it seats into and the end of the pipe itself. Nasty stuff.

Here is what I want to know, can I use the Purolator PCV valve since Beck/Arnley PCV valve isn't in stock at any AAP or O'Reilly near me?

http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.j...E6ZzIIV3RUBQAA

The P/N isn't the same as the one I pulled out, but it's priced the same at Honda Automotive's website:

The PCV valve I pulled 17130-P07-A01 vs the Purolator's cross-reference 17130-P2M-A01...both are priced insanely high online and I'd imagine the dealer will try to burn me as well. Should I give the Purolator a try or bite the bullet and ask for AAP or O'reilly to 'special order' it and pay shipping? It looks as though Purolator is trying to sell what would fit at the 'elbow' currently, not where the actual PCV valve is that I just pulled.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #118
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh, and it turns out it had a clip on it, it was just so covered in grime! I want to clean up the area where it seats into and the end of the pipe itself. Nasty stuff.
yeah, because the valve was clogged, all that sludge/oil/vapor was pushing out and around the valve. The exterior of my valve (part you can see when installed in the car) was pretty dirty as well when I removed mine. I mean I guess you can clean it for now but if you've got a new PCV valve, grommet, and vacuum hoses, I'd definitely install it now. Be sure to clean up everything you can, all the connections and whatnot from where the PCV valve plugs in, all the way to the intake manifold.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #119
Registered Member

I don't have new hoses right now, but I'm definitely into cleaning everything up. I'm not about to pay the dealer $25 for a replacement valve, though. I'm going to see if AAP or O'Reilly will get the Beck/Arnley replacement shipped for free, since no store carries it(apparently only 92-93 models have this particular one). Otherwise, it'd still be cheaper to pay either of those places to ship to the store. At least I can clean it up before then. AutoZone carries their own brand name version of the B/A p/n but I don't want their brand parts if I can help it.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #120
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't have new hoses right now, but I'm definitely into cleaning everything up. I'm not about to pay the dealer $25 for a replacement valve, though. I'm going to see if AAP or O'Reilly will get the Beck/Arnley replacement shipped for free, since no store carries it(apparently only 92-93 models have this particular one). Otherwise, it'd still be cheaper to pay either of those places to ship to the store. At least I can clean it up before then. AutoZone carries their own brand name version of the B/A p/n but I don't want their brand parts if I can help it.
I used a Napa Auto parts PCV valve and I think it worked fine. I went to carquest and it turned out, the valve they had was EXACTLY the same! Annoying thing was that carquest was $15 and Napa was $5, yet the stores were like within 1 mile of each other. I wouldn't worry too much about going oem for the PCV valve but then again, my experience with them is limited. Just test the NEW valve with the procedure I mentioned in this thread and if it checks out good, it should be good. The major difference between the stock valve and the Napa valve was the color and being slightly taller which meant when I cut the new vacuum hose, I had to use a slightly smaller length. However this slightly taller valve was of a benefit because before with the old valve, there was a "~" shape to the vacuum hose but now, because the output of the valve aligns with the vacuum port of the manifold, I was able to run a straight line from the intake manifold to the PCV valve.