93 Honda Civic VX horrible fuel economy - Page 13 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #121
Registered Member

Re: 93 Honda Civic VX horrible fuel economy

Does you're Civic have a similar setup with an elbow in one location that could fool you into it being the pcv valve location?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #122
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
Does you're Civic have a similar setup with an elbow in one location that could fool you into it being the pcv valve location?
no because the design of the intake manifold on the Y7 is different from the Y5,Y8, and the '92-'95 civics which have a straight PCV valve instead of angled one. If you had known that those civics used a straight piece PCV valve, this confusion never would have happened since you'd know to look elsewhere. The only thing that could be different would be that the valve might be more snug (mine wasn't) or a little longer which you can always adjust for by sizing the vacuum hose appropriately, assuming it's even an issue. It's a really straight forward piece to replace and if you're itching to have the OEM PCV valve instead, you can always replace it.

I have to emphasize that you really should replace the grommet because on a car that old, it's definitely bad. I've heard the grommets on 10 year old vehicles being bad too and now I'm thinking I should have replaced mine while I had the chance. However I do plan on doing a valve head change or a complete engine change this year so I'll definitely get the chance to change it again.

I just noticed, why does your signature say Civic VX "canadian model"?? Does it come with daytime running lights? Did you buy it in Canada?

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I used a Napa Auto parts PCV valve and I think it worked fine. I went to carquest and it turned out, the valve they had was EXACTLY the same! Annoying thing was that carquest was $15 and Napa was $5, yet the stores were like within 1 mile of each other.
yup, def shop around if you can. some parts can vary in price greatly--even identical ones. i'm fortunate to have an advance, auto zone, and napa all very near my home! and to boot, there's a car quest on my delivery route, and a honda dealer right near my place of employment!

btw: don't forget about the advance coupon codes(on larger purchases of course).
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #124
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
no because the design of the intake manifold on the Y7 is different from the Y5,Y8, and the '92-'95 civics which have a straight PCV valve instead of angled one. If you had known that those civics used a straight piece PCV valve, this confusion never would have happened since you'd know to look elsewhere. The only thing that could be different would be that the valve might be more snug (mine wasn't) or a little longer which you can always adjust for by sizing the vacuum hose appropriately, assuming it's even an issue. It's a really straight forward piece to replace and if you're itching to have the OEM PCV valve instead, you can always replace it.

I have to emphasize that you really should replace the grommet because on a car that old, it's definitely bad. I've heard the grommets on 10 year old vehicles being bad too and now I'm thinking I should have replaced mine while I had the chance. However I do plan on doing a valve head change or a complete engine change this year so I'll definitely get the chance to change it again.

I just noticed, why does your signature say Civic VX "canadian model"?? Does it come with daytime running lights? Did you buy it in Canada?
Well, just according to the manual it mentions everything in metric etc, and that it has stamped on the firewall "Made in Canada etc". The VIN checks out as Canadian, not US made. Unless, all VX's in the US were made there. It's really neat, all pre-treated under the wheel wells to prevent rusting from the factory(most is still in tact from the original coating lol).

PS: I'm not so worried about having 'the' OEM replacement, but more so about the way it seats into the grommet, new or old. It looked like the PCV valve hadn't been touched on this vehicle in YEARS, if ever. I'm cleaning that area/vacuum hose this morning and I'm calling around for the best priced replacement. I just didn't want AutoZone's brand.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #125
Registered Member

Update, I called a local dealer and after giving him the P/N he says that the "P2M" in the middle of the p/n(Purolator had this) is the one that 'supersedes' the P07. So you can't get the "exact" original part, much like the original LAF sensor vs the L2H2, anyway. I can't find the Beck/Arnley but the Purolator is in stock locally, so I'm going to see if it will work.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #126
Registered Member

with ya on that. sometimes we hung up on OEM parts. heck, sometimes aftermarket is better!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #127
Registered Member

Found the ONE replacement for the VX's PCV valve in my county(1 million people live here with 30-50 or more auto part stores)... under $3 dollars. Not bad, the 2 local dealers wanted at least $23+ tax.

http://img851.imageshack.us/i/1003465.jpg/

http://img576.imageshack.us/i/1003467c.jpg/

Just a little shorter and slightly 'thicker', the Purolator PV1057.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #128
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, just according to the manual it mentions everything in metric etc, and that it has stamped on the firewall "Made in Canada etc". The VIN checks out as Canadian, not US made. Unless, all VX's in the US were made there. It's really neat, all pre-treated under the wheel wells to prevent rusting from the factory(most is still in tact from the original coating lol).
There is a very significant difference between a US model made in Canada and a Canadian model made in Canada.. ESPECIALLY for the Civic VX! I would stop calling your VX a canadian model because it's probably a US model. The US Model VX has lean-burn and other features that the Canadian model doesn't have, also the Canadian model has Daytime running lamps while the US model does not. My Civic was made in Canada but it's still a U.S model. Also all Japanese cars use metric for their bolts, regardless of where they're made.
Quote:
PS: I'm not so worried about having 'the' OEM replacement, but more so about the way it seats into the grommet, new or old. It looked like the PCV valve hadn't been touched on this vehicle in YEARS, if ever. I'm cleaning that area/vacuum hose this morning and I'm calling around for the best priced replacement. I just didn't want AutoZone's brand.
Well I'd definitely replace the grommet because it's probably bad. The grommet might break so be sure to have a shop vac near by in case any pieces break and fall in. A new grommet will be accommodating to the new PCV valve compared to the old one, so you won't have to worry about leaks if the new one is in fact larger.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #129
Registered Member

Well, I was able to replace the PCV valve and the car seems to run better. I think my old one could have been barely functioning.

I couldn't get the old grommet out without breaking my hand trying to get under the intake's runners. It was all I could do just to reinsert the new PCV valve, but I was able to soak a shop rag in some TB cleaner, got it really wet, and used needle nose pliers to clean anything right at the grommet in question.

As for the model VX I have, the VIN indicates that it is Canadian made Canadian model, so I must not have lean burn??? =/ I do have the 'day lamps' feature if that is work anything. I've heard of the Cali VX not having lean-burn, but not the Canadian model, though.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #130
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I was able to replace the PCV valve and the car seems to run better. I think my old one could have been barely functioning.

I couldn't get the old grommet out without breaking my hand trying to get under the intake's runners. It was all I could do just to reinsert the new PCV valve, but I was able to soak a shop rag in some TB cleaner, got it really wet, and used needle nose pliers to clean anything right at the grommet in question.

As for the model VX I have, the VIN indicates that it is Canadian made Canadian model, so I must not have lean burn??? =/ I do have the 'day lamps' feature if they is work anything. I've heard of the Cali VX not having lean-burn, but not the Canadian model, though.
What's the first 8 digits of your VIN? As for not being able to access the grommet, if you can't access it, it's because parts are in the way. Just remove the parts that are in the way in order for you to get to it. In the case of the PCV valve in my civic, some people only removed the throttle cable bracket but because of my large hands, I had to remove the entire throttle body to get to the valve. However, what other people suggest is replacing the valve and grommet from underneath the car like you're doing an oil change. You might even go as far as to remove the breather box itself and while it's out, inspect it to see if there is any gunk in there.

If you don't replace the grommet now, it may crack in the future and will be even more difficult to remove than it is to remove today. Not something I'd put off. Also helpful to know how to remove it so that 60K miles from now, you'll know what to do.