A/C Usage and Impact on FE - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Lately my VW has felt really sluggish with the A/C on, more so than having 3 passengers in it. I don't recall it being like that in the previous two summers. It is over 37,000 miles and manufacturer's schedule for spark plug replacement is 40,000 miles, so maybe that's related.

Of course, with it sluggish I'm forced to shift at higher RPM and it definitely affects my FE.
That sounds like something is up. Three passengers would be equivalent to about a 6hp loss, and a compressor shouldn't be using noticeable more than that. I would pull one plug and see how cruddy they are. Some VW's like to drip oil on the plugs when the valve seals start to wear, so you may find that you'll benefit from more frequent plug replacement. Or the way a cheap skate like me would do it; pull them, rinse the tips in acetone, gap them, and put them back.

Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #52
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The car is too new for any of that. 2008 with 37,000 miles on it...

It's also a lease and I don't care to put that attention into it. I turn it in at 45,000 miles. I'm hoping I can get away with not doing the spark plugs; they probably do them when it's turned in either way. It's better for the experts to find whatever problems it may have and fix them under warranty than it is for me to replace the plugs and they see new plugs...

Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The car is too new for any of that. 2008 with 37,000 miles on it...

It's also a lease and I don't care to put that attention into it. I turn it in at 45,000 miles. I'm hoping I can get away with not doing the spark plugs; they probably do them when it's turned in either way. It's better for the experts to find whatever problems it may have and fix them under warranty than it is for me to replace the plugs and they see new plugs...
ahh yes, new car owner stuff, I hope to never have to deal with that.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerryrigger View Post
That sounds like something is up. Three passengers would be equivalent to about a 6hp loss, and a compressor shouldn't be using noticeable more than that. I would pull one plug and see how cruddy they are. Some VW's like to drip oil on the plugs when the valve seals start to wear, so you may find that you'll benefit from more frequent plug replacement. Or the way a cheap skate like me would do it; pull them, rinse the tips in acetone, gap them, and put them back.
wat? How can you tell me that 150lbs*3 = 6hp? Further more he says 3 passengers, and I don't know if that's including himself but if it isn't, then it's 600lbs! 600lbs or even 300lbs is a big deal in a car and should have a far larger effect than only 6hp!
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #55
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerryrigger View Post
ahh yes, new car owner stuff, I hope to never have to deal with that.
I hope to deal with new car stuff again some day, but that's the last new car I'll have for a long time. I do enjoy the smooth, quiet ride and the known history of a new car, and I love that toxic new car smell.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #56
Site Team / Moderator

I have never owned a new car. If I ever did buy a new one you can bet I got a hell of a deal on it.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
wat? How can you tell me that 150lbs*3 = 6hp? Further more he says 3 passengers, and I don't know if that's including himself but if it isn't, then it's 600lbs! 600lbs or even 300lbs is a big deal in a car and should have a far larger effect than only 6hp!
From what i've heard (maybe not the most reliable sources) 75lbs = -1hp. I wasn't factoring it the driver, as it's hard to get a baseline without one.

As far as new cars: I would like to own one some day, but I don't think I could justify it, unless I get filthy rich some day. So much so that I could buy it outright. But that is looking unlikely.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #58
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Jay - one of the nice things about a new car is that you get to break it in just the way you want to. I bought 1 used one - my first and after the summer had to rebuild the motor since it was only driven to church on Sundays by a little old grandmas ... yeah really ... engine full of carbon and no getup and go at all. After having the engine rebuilt and then some head work on it by me it was one of the fastest 1965 Rambler Americans with a flat head 6 in the area. All my other three cars were new and lasted 12 to 14 years each with a lot less headaches than the old used Rambler. I am now on my 4th car . . . 65 Rambler (72 June), 80 VW Rabbit (80 January), 94 Geo Metro (93 December) 2006 xB (05 November). Oh yeah and 2 new and 1 used motorcycles sprinkled in there.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #59
Site Team / Moderator

For me, the new vehicles I like are prohibitively expensive to buy new. I just can't see paying upwards of $40,000 for a pickup truck, when I can get a nicely equipped, used one a couple years old for under $20,000.

I have been slowly making my way towards "newer" cars though. Here are the cars I've bought over the years:

1981 Buick Regal Limited (1990, 88,000 miles) First car that was all mine, and nobody else's. I had inherited my grandmother's 84 Buick Skyhawk when she died, and I traded the Skyhawk for my sister's Regal. (still owned, currently has about 173,000 miles on it.)

1974 Chevrolet C/10 Custom Deluxe. (1994, 190,000 miles) Paid $1,000 for it. Best value in a vehicle I ever had. Ran flawlessly. Sold it to my sister in the late 90's with over 300,000 miles on it for $1,200 ($100/mo for 1 year)

1986 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado. (1996, 95,000 miles) Paid $5,000 for it. Hands down this was the prettiest truck I ever owned (when I got it) (Still owned, 190,000 miles currently)

1998 GMC Sierra K1500 (~2005, 109,000 miles) Paid $13,000 for it. Newest vehicle I've ever owned, and the only one purchased from a dealer. (still owned, 170,000 miles currently.)

Next vehicle: (hopefully purchase on Wednesday!) 2006 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide FXDI. Bike has 15,000 miles on it, and I hope to get it for under $8,000.

I keep my vehicles for a very long time, and I get my money's worth out of them.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #60
Registered Member

About the only thing I'd like to do with a new car is start it off with a conventional oil for the "break-in" period. Really, to break it in hard and switch to my synthetic oil of choice after the first 2-3k miles.