A couple more tips to add to the list: - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

A couple more tips to add to the list:

I was just thinking about stuff I do to save gas that I don't even think about anymore. They aren't for everyone, but, if you have a manual transmission, and park somewhere steep enough (like I do), you can let the car roll, and start the car by turning the key to "On", but not "Start", and let out the clutch, so the wheels start the car, and not your battery. This way, the alternater doesn't have to engage, and make up for the loss.

Also, my car had all filament bulbs until I changed everything (outside, and inside) over to LED, to save the alternator work a little more. You can go to many sites, and type in your bulb number to get the LED equivilent. My car didn't have projector headlights, so I had some made, and put them in. If your car doesn't have projectors, and you can find atermarket ones, you'll probably have brighter headlights, and use less energy by putting them in. Having brighter headlights can also save you gas by allowing you to drive more confidently at night, maintaining an efficient speed.

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Those are some good thoughts. However, I recommend against any headlight modifications. They almost always result in more glare for other drivers, which is selfish, rude, and dangerous. Plenty of people are sure that their modifications don't produce more glare, and far too often they're wrong.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

That's a good point. When retrofitting, they often do that, and I hate it! It's also annoying when they shake.
Fortunately, I got a place to do the whole housing from scratch, and the cut-off is perfect. I checked by driving by in another car. Before that, I customized a set of Honda Civic aftermarket projectors, and they had a good cutoff, but actually didn't illuminate high enough.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowljesse View Post
park somewhere steep enough (like I do), you can let the car roll, and start the car by turning the key to "On", but not "Start", and let out the clutch, so the wheels start the car.
that's called popping the clutch. sure, in the old days when someone had a dead battery, we could get then started by pushing the car (no hills where i lived) and have them pop the clutch. I've not tried it with my '94 civic because there's a built in safety (and anti-theft and run-away cars) that requires the clutch to be depressed all the way to start the car. I assume most, if not all, newer cars can't be started by popping the clutch.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
that's called popping the clutch. sure, in the old days when someone had a dead battery, we could get then started by pushing the car (no hills where i lived) and have them pop the clutch. I've not tried it with my '94 civic because there's a built in safety (and anti-theft and run-away cars) that requires the clutch to be depressed all the way to start the car. I assume most, if not all, newer cars can't be started by popping the clutch.
My '79 Chevette had a similar arrangement...the only way the starter would operate was with the clutch depressed. That didn't stop me from popping the clutch to start the car.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Popping the clutch is when you move your foot off the side of the clutch pedal and let it pop up. It's not necessary to pop the clutch in order to bump start.

My 2008 VW bump starts fine. I don't pop the clutch; I just slip it a little. Imagine that you've put it in the wrong gear but don't realize until you start letting up the clutch pedal; that's what it's like.

In fact, I imagine it's much more difficult with an old carbureted car.

My car does have the clutch interlock. It will not operate the starter unless the clutch pedal is down, but that doesn't affect bump starting.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Popping the clutch is when you move your foot off the side of the clutch pedal and let it pop up. It's not necessary to pop the clutch in order to bump start.

My 2008 VW bump starts fine. I don't pop the clutch; I just slip it a little. Imagine that you've put it in the wrong gear but don't realize until you start letting up the clutch pedal; that's what it's like.

In fact, I imagine it's much more difficult with an old carbureted car.

My car does have the clutch interlock. It will not operate the starter unless the clutch pedal is down, but that doesn't affect bump starting.
ive done it both in my chevette and truck.

if its carbed on a cold start yea you MIGHT be able to do it but might not be able to start driving (ie, might start but be cold enough to fall on its face so might have to coast down the hill idiling for a bit so it gets a little warm)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

The clutch switch only enables the starter. If it had to enable the engine it wouldn't run unless the clutch was depressed. If there was an interlock that prevented bump starting then the engine would interlock dead and not restart if it ever missed.

On the VX I only see a starter security cutoff, no fuel cutoff. Besides, you're bump starting with the key in so security shouldn't be a problem.
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Those are some good thoughts. However, I recommend against any headlight modifications. They almost always result in more glare for other drivers, which is selfish, rude, and dangerous. Plenty of people are sure that their modifications don't produce more glare, and far too often they're wrong.
wait caulking around headlights worked for me, no glare, wai 2010! lol

you know whats almost as bad?, stopping the flow of traffic to the point where you have people almost rearending you to let people who don't have the right of way go,
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
I've not tried it with my '94 civic because there's a built in safety (and anti-theft and run-away cars) that requires the clutch to be depressed all the way to start the car. I assume most, if not all, newer cars can't be started by popping the clutch.

You '94 Civic will do it just fine. I have done it a number of times while EOCing in my '95 Civic.

As severach mentioned. You do not have to worry about the safety/anti-theft stuff because the key is in the ignition and in the ON position in order for it to work.