A question about the Metro XFi - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

A question about the Metro XFi

If memory serves me correctly, isn't one of the only distinguishing things between a Metro XFi and a Metro LSi that the XFi doesn't have A/C?

If so, it sounds like some eBay people are doing a nice job at trying to scam unaware buyers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Geo-M...mZ140245201806

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

I had a 3cyl metro and it was rated 50 to the gallon. it didn't have a/c and I know it wasn't an XFi but am not sure what it was. I was 16 and didn't really care that much because I had something to drive.

if you look at the price, it is very reasonable considering the mileage and condition. considering all of that is accurate.

I also want to say that the XFi had something else going on for FE. not sure what but something maybe gearing or something.

mine was a 3cyl with 5spd. I dogged it pretty hard and got rid of it when I was 19. even then it was getting a calculated 46 to the gallon. that is when gas was just over a buck a gallon too.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

The Metro XFi I had towed home also had no A/C. The engine, ecu and harness are in my shed waiting for a suitable recipient, the transmission went to a Swift owning co-worker, the rusted shell went to the scrap yard.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey one of the other differences with the xfi is it had a cool cam, I don't know for sure about the gearing
Old 07-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

From http://gtkgeo.50megs.com/
Quote:
Metro XFi
All Geo Metros came standard with a 1.0 liter, 3 cylinder engine. The XFi model was designed for maximum fuel efficiency. It had a lighter curb weight, different computer, camshaft and transmission than the base or LSi models. It also had less comfort and convenience options than the other models. It boasted 53 city/58 highway mpg numbers and received "Most Fuel Efficient car in America" for all six years of it's production. It was dropped after the '94 model year because of slow sales.
These, for better or worse, have become the "Holy Grail" of Geo Metros. Any are good, but these are slightly better. If you find one at a good price, grab it. If nothing else, you can put it on eBay and sell it at a profit. Heck...I'd like to find a rusted-out one from snow country and transfer all the goodies into a nice California body...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

When searching for a Metro / Swift, pay close attention to the sub-frame where the lower control arms attach. The fabrication of the unibody is such that there is a 'pocket' that catches debris and road spray, rapidly rusting away. If this area is OK, buy it. If not, walk away, it's terminal and too costly to repair.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
If memory serves me correctly, isn't one of the only distinguishing things between a Metro XFi and a Metro LSi that the XFi doesn't have A/C?

If so, it sounds like some eBay people are doing a nice job at trying to scam unaware buyers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Geo-M...mZ140245201806
You Fail,

Maybe you should do your research and look at the VIN on the car on EBAY. It's a real XFI.....maybe just maybe it was a dealer installed option.

Anyway glad to see you jumping to conclusions.
Civic VX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
When searching for a Metro / Swift, pay close attention to the sub-frame where the lower control arms attach. The fabrication of the unibody is such that there is a 'pocket' that catches debris and road spray, rapidly rusting away. If this area is OK, buy it. If not, walk away, it's terminal and too costly to repair.
I'd be happy to pick up a relatively low mileage rusted out XFI for cheap...I'm sure I can find a nice body with everything worn out that I could transfer everything to...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

I think you ticked off the guy selling the car.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yeah, really.

He was also kind enough to send me a hateful PM. I wonder how this was traced back to this website?

I was never calling anyone a scammer. I asked the question in open forum because I wasn't sure. Never did I say "Person X is scamming". I don't understand what the problem was.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote