Accent coasts poorly, but why? - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #61
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Could it be related to warmer weather?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #62
Registered Member

Definitely worse in cold, but it's noticeably better than last summer and fall as well. Admittedly, the car hadn't worn in much then. Seems like it's even a lot better than spring was, and today wasn't very warm. It's a welcome change, whatever the cause!

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #63
Registered Member

I tried coasting the whole way today on the long downhill stretch next to my house (there's a small uphill partway) and I made it! Got down to 17 mph, which is a lot slower than my old vehicles, but still it's good to know I can do it. Since you can see behind you a long way I can tell if it's safe to slow down that much.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #64
Registered Member

Maybe someone mentioned this in a response, but I couldn't find it...have you made note of the wind direction when you have tried coasting? I have a hill I sometimes coast down when I am going home from work. If I have a tail wind, I'm usually going about 65 mph or better. If no wind I go down a little way then have to shift back into gear. If I have a headwind I slow down right now!

Nice thing about this hill is...at the start there are a bunch of wind turbines. I can look at them and tell the wind direction, and whether I can coast or not.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #65
Registered Member

Since my reference hill is the stretch I start out on for 95+% of my trips, I've had plenty of opportunity to try it without wind (today was calm, BTW). Good thought, though. Neat trick using the wind turbines. A lot of people complain about them aesthetically, but I like 'em!

co de pen den cy