add acetone to gas - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

add acetone to gas

1)Has anyone heard the ratio acetone to gal of gas for increasing mpg??

2)What is precise instructions for blocking air entering grill???best and easiest method??
thanks benz300sel

benz300sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

hi benz300sel welcome to the forum

try "search the form" for some posts on acetone.
i've experimented with it myself but i couldn't see any real improvements in milage... on the other hand it did make the engine a little less noisy...
so i'm sure it does something... but i don't use it anymore. adjusting the way you drive can make your car use far less gass than acetone. i added about 10cl to around 40 L of gass... some other people seem to have had better results so they might be of more help...

the best way to block a grill depends on your car and the climate of where you live. a good way to find out how much of the grill to block is to put some tape and carboard over a part of the grill and carefully watch the temperature gauge in your car as you drive... if it gets to hot... stop and remove some of the blockage (you can destroy your engine if you let it get to hot!)... but if the temperature is normal of slightly higher you can add more cardboard.. if you know how much of the grill you want to block you can find some plastic or light metal sheet and cut it to the right shape. adding something in front of the grill is best as it will guide the air over the car smoothly... but if you can't do that adding something directly behind the grill will also help... if you paint it in a colour that goes well with the rest of the car it can look really good.

what kind of car do you have? that mercedes you mention in your name? seems an interesting car to hypermile.
perhaps you could post some pictures and add your car to the garage. if you keep a gasslog you get a nice graph that shows your improvements.

happy gassaving

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz300sel View Post
1)Has anyone heard the ratio acetone to gal of gas for increasing mpg??

2)What is precise instructions for blocking air entering grill???best and easiest method??
thanks benz300sel
i'm in the (continuing)process of testing acetone. my olds 88 likes 3oz to 10 gal of gas. my wife's camaro seems to get little or no gain from it. will be posting soon on final test results. stay tuned...
some say start low(1oz to 10 gal) and increase with each fillup to 3-4 oz.
i'd say start with 3oz, then go down by 1/2 oz increments IF no change and up IF little change(increase) to no more than 4oz.
you MUST test precisely over MANY weeks/months. eliminate as many variables as possible.
if you've not been there, go to lubedev.com. just use that info with a grain of salt.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok and many thanks--its a 300sel and gets 24-28mpg driving on cruise at "73-79 mph", although happy I want 30 mpg and have already added the following gas saving modifications (They have also worked on a jeep grand cherokee and 2 other mercedes): 1)Increased tire height by 1.25" to lower revolutions per mile from aprox 820 to 790; 2)K & N Air filter; 3)purchased low rolling-resist tires (goodyear assurance--which has lower than average rolling resistance(i.e., simple, straight tread --not good in snow climates though) ; 4) use Synthetic oil with slick 50 at oil change; 5) Bosch 4+Plugs; ---

I appreciate the grill advise because of the large grill I think this may help--I'm just trying to think of a method that can use that wont be visible--I like the idea of painting sheet metal and placing behind the mesh grill and cut it precisely so no air with seep through and since its approaching winter time maybe car wont get too hot,
I'll start out slow with acetone and update you all in a month or so, GRACIAS
benz300sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

As far as grill blocking...don't even think about blocking the radiator or condenser unless it's winter. Even in winter you need to be very careful when blocking he radiator even partially.

You really want to just block the excess openings?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post
As far as grill blocking...don't even think about blocking the radiator or condenser unless it's winter. Even in winter you need to be very careful when blocking he radiator even partially.
I'm happy to report that blocking my radiator grille in central/south Florida summer hasn't had adverse effects on temperature

From my experience - you can think about it, just make a prototype that can be easily modified on the road should you run into problems while testing

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I'm happy to report that blocking my radiator grille in central/south Florida summer hasn't had adverse effects on temperature
Then the air flow is coming in under the bumper? Potential problem I see is that the cooling fan might run more?

I blocked the air intake with a car when I had an extended air dam on it...the results was that this created a slight reverse flow thru the radiator and I almost overheated the car...in winter.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote