Aftermarket Belly Pans? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Aftermarket Belly Pans?

Lately, I've been reading a lot about the benefits of underbody belly pans. I'm curious to know, it there's a company that actually makes aftermarket belly pans.

Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

I've never heard of one. I'd expect there would be liability issues that would prevent aftermarket parts like that from being sold. (Covering/distance to exhaust parts, etc.)

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

...just like other aftermarket parts out there.
I'm actually considered starting a business selling undertray kits as the awareness of thier benefit appears growing. Instead of talking about it and doing it on our own vehicles, this could be a great way to promote FE in a bigger realm.
What would you pay for a kit? $350 for a custom kit? $100 for a universal trim to fit kit? $10 for plans?
Every full undertray I can find is a custom job, labor and materials would easily be several hundred dollars made and installed in a workman like manner for one that won't fall off.
Then we have to consider the size of the market...
Hmmm...
bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
...just like other aftermarket parts out there.
I'm actually considered starting a business selling undertray kits as the awareness of thier benefit appears growing. Instead of talking about it and doing it on our own vehicles, this could be a great way to promote FE in a bigger realm.
What would you pay for a kit? $350 for a custom kit? $100 for a universal trim to fit kit? $10 for plans?
Every full undertray I can find is a custom job, labor and materials would easily be several hundred dollars made and installed in a workman like manner for one that won't fall off.
Then we have to consider the size of the market...
Hmmm...
$100 for a universal trim kit might be reasonable; provided that it wasn't heavy or rattle under the car...especially from the wind turbulence. What kind of materials would you have in mind?
Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Here are a few sites that offer something like that pre-fab:
Rally Armor
Kami Speed <--- Three pages of skidplates, even one for the Yaris!
Yahoo Auctions (japanese) For those who can translate and afford shipping!
Translated Laile Company page
English list of plates from Laile

So that is my list from H-T. As you can see, the prices are a little high for a plate of aluminum but it's pre-cut and shaped. I'm sure people would go for a $100 DIY kit for those that don't want to use Coroplast.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
Hmmm...
$25 for some coloroplast and 3 hours in my garage but I'm cheap. I not going to spend money on something that the fuel saving won't pay for. It would take alot of time to make up $350 in gas.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Supporting Member

I have almost $100 in mine and its made from an inexpensive type of aluminum. A do it yourself kit for $100 is not going to be feasible IMHO. There are a lot of variables. And there is no way to keep them rattle free(maybe a coroplast pan doesn't rattle but mine has to be female driven and flame retardent). I think a partial front pan kit is doable but then again someone with the skills to install something of this nature will be able to locate there on supplies. If someone offered to pay me to install a pan I would charge at least $500-800. Its that much aggravation.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote