Air Dam - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
*shrug*

Air Dam

<a href=http://hondainsight.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1970&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0&sid=cbcb6e704f9cb5dd580f045fef5ed337 target=_blank>Air Dam for Insights</a>

This idea is very interesting to me. Rather than replacing the thermometer to increase engine temps, you prevent the radiatior from cooling down the engine as much. Worth a try do you figure?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

So what you are saying is

So what you are saying is putting a piece of cartboard between the AC condenser and the radiator. That way the ac works like usual and the radiator gets less air and the engine temps rise??

When the engine temps rise the car runs leaner???

I see this is a benefit for me because my radiator cap allows me to go to higher temperature and the car won't overheat. The only downfall of this idea is if the fans keep coming on that means I'll waste more fuel.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
*shrug*

You're not sposed to use a/c

You're not sposed to use a/c with this because it'll put strain on your a/c system.

But the basic idea is this: you prevent the radiator from radiating as much, increasing operating temperature. This doesn't really lean the fuel mixture out, just increases operating temperatures which is more efficient. I don't think it'll turn on your fans, but if it does, you can always decrease the size of the air dam so that you are still increasing temperature but without going high enough to turn on the fans. I don't know very well the issue with fans and mpg though.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok i'll try it on my next

Ok i'll try it on my next tank. I almost never use the AC. I noticed on the Insight website it said that it should be tried on outside temps of low 80's or lower because it overheats the car. Do you think I can try it with the temps in mid 80's???

The benifit I have is That I have a radiator cap with higher temperature rating and I have a bigger engine.

Also my radiator is fully plastic should I be worrying about something?

Old 10-30-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
*shrug*

I don't think so, just watch

I don't think so, just watch the temperature gauge to make sure it doesn't go to high, if it does just pull it right out, it shouldn't be hard to do or undo. The reason they say lower than 80s is because you don't want to heat it up so much when it's already that hot, but I think you should be fine. If you're worried you can only cover up part of the radiator instead of the whole thing, which would mean less of a temperature increase.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

My intent was to never cover

My intent was to never cover up the whole part. Just the bottom half where the air goes inside the grill of the bumper. If the temps stay the same and everything is working right I'll do 3/4 high of the radiator.

I'll do this on the next tank or the one after that because I want to experiment the results of every change. One of my next changes is tire pressure. I have it at 35psi and tried some quick steering stunts off the freeway ramps. The car floats a little. At 32psi it doesnt float at all, I turn the wheel at high speeds and it does exactly what I want. So going to 40psi is dangerous for my car. It will kill the agility and the braking distance of the car. I think I'll just take it up as high as 36 or 37psi.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
*shrug*

Haha, I would never turn my

Haha, I would never turn my mom's camry at a high speed, but I've never floated in my crx, even with lots of air, but then again I've never taken a turn at higher than 40mph, I take the freeway ramps at full speed though, cuz that's fun. In any case, yep, your plan sounds great, just like my plan, in fact. Document things well, and post your results in the experiments section to share with others! :-)

Hopefully soon matt will have up the database that can compare all the results with tables and nice looking stuff.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

My car weighs 3000lbs so I

My car weighs 3000lbs so I expect some float with higher tire pressure. My car handles really good, it's just slow and gas guzzling.

I already checked my radiator and it's very plausible to do it.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
*shrug*

Threw in a piece of

Threw in a piece of cardboard about 1/3rd the size of my radiator on the way over to my girlfriend's house tonight, took about two minutes and I got not intelligible increase in engine temperature, since I'm using this tank to fiddle around as the acetone works (prolly a few more tanks) I might just keep increasing the air dam size until I get just a bit extra engine temp, which is fine cuz it is usually pretty low since my radiator is huge.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
Driving on E

Re: Threw in a piece of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Threw in a piece of cardboard about 1/3rd the size of my radiator on the way over to my girlfriend's house tonight, took about two minutes and I got not intelligible increase in engine temperature, since I'm using this tank to fiddle around as the acetone works (prolly a few more tanks) I might just keep increasing the air dam size until I get just a bit extra engine temp, which is fine cuz it is usually pretty low since my radiator is huge.
Another solution is to replace it with a smaller radiator :P

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote