Air Pressure - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Air Pressure

So, the manual and the door sticker say my tyres should be at 29lbs.
The people who mantain and rotate them, America's Tire Store, tell me their experience is that truck tires handle 35lbs best.

Why?
&
Why?

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There is more than you'll ever want to read about it my tire pressure thread, linked in my sig.

What model is it, what is its curb weight, and what size tires are on it?

Auto manufacturers recommend the minimum pressure required to avoid lawsuits, in order to sell vehicles to people who like a smooth ride. From http://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...01&postcount=4 :
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Buried deep in many manuals and publications is the recommendation for increased pressure for more demanding conditions -- speed, load, road condition, tire condition, etc.

As far as I can tell, the default recommendation by the automaker is made by the marketing department to sell cars with a softer ride, limited by the legal department (who consults the engineers for the bare minimum) to avoid blowouts. Remember the Ford/Firestone debacle? They either forgot to consult with the legal department, or the lawyers forgot to ask the engineers...
I'm not sure about this, but I think big-box tire retailers don't expect their employees to think too much and tell them to just recommend 35psi for everyone no matter what since it's a pretty safe number. It's high enough to handle most configurations, and low enough that every tire they sell is rated to handle it.

You should do your own experiments. For FE, the best pressure is usually the highest pressure that doesn't exceed the tire's maximum, doesn't cause ill handling or uncomfortable ride, and doesn't cause uneven wear. For best handling, one generally finds even higher pressure than that is helpful (hence why autocross racers and police cars run often far higher pressures, sometimes even beyond the tire's rated maximum).

In my pickup, I run 80 front (tire's maximum rating) and 72 rear. GMC recommends 35 all around. I have been doing it for ~125,000 miles, worn out lots of tires, and have not had center wear yet. In my VW I run 51psi (tire's max).

Old 11-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Except mine is Gold (actually, they call it 'sand') and my shell is the color of the truck in the picture...
This is the vehicle:
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My dad's got a 20002 Tundra, no cap. He gets lots of center wear on his rear tires and edge wear on his fronts, which I assume is from hard driving. IIRC he has 265/70R16 tires. The truck is a little lighter than mine (although the cap partially makes up for it) and the suspension is stiffer, so the 70-80psi I run would probably be too much for you.

You probably have P-metric tires on rated for a maximum 44psi, and going all the way up to 44 should work out fine for you. You might want to do it incrementally to be sure you will be comfortable with it, or you might want to go straight up to 44 so you can be sure to notice if it affects your handling.

Also, those factory TRD-package wheel flares really protrude a lot, but removing them leaves ugly holes which would then need to be covered with some kind of trim (I think the non-TRD models had a chrome trim that was flat). They might be necessary for the 265 tires not to stick out, I don't remember.