air pressure valve caps - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

air pressure valve caps

Anyone interested in these? Tried them? I just bought some from accupressurecaps.com I don't work for them, so this isnt spam. I would just like your thoughts. I have been running 42-47 psi in my tires lately, depending on how I feel. So I got 4 of their 44psi caps. Those are the highest in the "low pressure" range. They do have some for 50, 60, etc but mostly for trucks, and they cost a bit more. These should allow me to check them less often..

Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have two pairs of these (different brand, though), one for my winter PSI and one for my summer. I'd heard concerns they might freeze in winter, so I checked every so often but they seemed fine. I ran over a nail recently and it led to a slow leak that I noticed because of my caps. Good deal.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Nice. I've seen similar products but never for high pressure.

It makes sense to have pricing information in the thread rather than having to go to the website.

The 44 psi ones are $13 for a four pack. They don't have anything in 70 or 75 psi; I'd like those for my truck...they jump from 65 to 80. The 65 psi ones are $8/each. Shipping is flat rate $7 for any order.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

I was looking at some in the stores, I didn't like how the ones I saw had such a wide margin, like 10 PSI before they'd actually indicate. They were sold in ranges that were typically 4-6psi wide. So if you wanted 44psi, you'd have to get the 38-44 PSI ones, and they probably wouldn't indicate until you were below 30.

Nice to be able to see a large loss off pressure, but I think my tire kicking foot is better calibrated. I'd rather not get into the "false sense of security" thing and be running around 5psi low, instead of remembering to check them regularly.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I was looking at some in the stores, I didn't like how the ones I saw had such a wide margin, like 10 PSI before they'd actually indicate. They were sold in ranges that were typically 4-6psi wide. So if you wanted 44psi, you'd have to get the 38-44 PSI ones, and they probably wouldn't indicate until you were below 30.

Nice to be able to see a large loss off pressure, but I think my tire kicking foot is better calibrated. I'd rather not get into the "false sense of security" thing and be running around 5psi low, instead of remembering to check them regularly.
The ones I got claim to turn yellow at -4 psi. which in this case would be 40 psi. I was thinking of running them at 42psi, so I would show a 2psi drop. I will test them this weekend. and report here.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
I've replaced valve stems at work that were damaged by having the extra weight of these things, centrifugal force, and so on. short (<1 1/2") stems are ok but 'medium' and longer stems (1 3/4"+)rubber stems will bend out and crack at the base. obviously there are several variables here including length of the stem, rim diameter, how long they're on, quality of rubber in the stem, etc

I've always shied away from them for the 10+ psi range before triggering but the newer ones are getting better obviously. that and it takes as long to look at my tires (yes I have a good eye from working at a tire shop) or feel how they drive and barely any more time to actually check them
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Re: air pressure valve caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
The ones I got claim to turn yellow at -4 psi. which in this case would be 40 psi. I was thinking of running them at 42psi, so I would show a 2psi drop. I will test them this weekend. and report here.
OK here we are a couple of years later - any word before I pick up a set of these pressure caps? I just want to know when the pressure really drops since I park in the same place all the time and have created dents in the asphalt it is hard to tell if my tires are getting a little low by looking at them. Figure a set of 40psi caps will turn red in the mid 30's it would be good enough since anything above that is good for me and keeping them at 44 is a bit higher than I need.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Look at the Amazon reviews. Doesn't look good.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo

I read thm and did't get the poor rated ones - hey 4 for $9.36 free shipping.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

I didnt get mine from amazon. I forget where, but they sold truck caps and I got 44psi caps. I run my tires usually around 42psi. Never yet had an issue, and they have been on there over a year. I am sure quality varies greatly. I will try to find out where I bought these, and post back...