Airlines slowing flights down to save fuel - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
A couple of years ago I read somewhere that UPS was changing the routes to their trucks so they only make right turns when delivering so they don't always wait at lights when needing to turn. Saved them lost of not only fuel but time.
My TomTom GPS plans trips this way also, a refreshing little thing I noticed.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
Registered Member

The Airport Solution

Here's a solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at the airports:

Have a booth that you can step into that will not X-ray you, but will detonate any explosive device you may have on you.

It would be a win-win for everyone, there would be none of this crap about racial profiling and this method would eliminate a long and expensive trial. Justice would be quick and swift. Case closed!

This is so simple that it's brilliant. I can see it now: you're in the airport terminal and you hear a muffled explosion.

Shortly thereafter an announcement comes over the PA system, "Attention standby passengers we now have a seat available on flight number..."

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
The Airport Solution

Here's a solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at the airports:

Have a booth that you can step into that will not X-ray you, but will detonate any explosive device you may have on you.

It would be a win-win for everyone, there would be none of this crap about racial profiling and this method would eliminate a long and expensive trial. Justice would be quick and swift. Case closed!

This is so simple that it's brilliant. I can see it now: you're in the airport terminal and you hear a muffled explosion.

Shortly thereafter an announcement comes over the PA system, "Attention standby passengers we now have a seat available on flight number..."
That's Brilliant!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
Registered Member

I got proof

Having just taken a flight cross country and back for buisness, I had to take a layover in a mid western city which is the norm. I noticed on my ticket that the flight would take 10 hours for what was a 5 hour ordeal if I flew directly. Now previously flights in a commercial jet ran at about 600 to 630 miles per hour. Then having prepaired for the 10 hour ordeal I took distance to distance reading with my GPS (Not while in the air, but on the ground) and I calculated 475 miles per hour on both legs of the trip.

Most commercial flights occur around 36,000 feet, the most efficient cruise for a jet plane is 57,000 feet, but the military gets that air space. Your average 737 doesnt pay for itself until it reaches 300 miles, that's why those little 50 seat commuter planes are put to use for little 150 mile jumps. A 737 flying from Los Angeles to San Francisco (about 300 miles) just about pays for the gas it uses.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote