all these Hondas...how about a GM? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to occupant Send a message via AIM to occupant Send a message via Yahoo to occupant
Just an update on the car. The 3100 with the 4-speed automatic is an absolute pig in town. The first four tanks are added to my garage under "Emery 1" and they are not pretty. 16-19mpg in mostly in town driving and one great tank of almost all highway didn't even crack 24mpg. Tires were aired up fine, brakes aren't dragging from what I can tell. I know it needs a basic tune-up. Plugs/tires/oil change/serpentine belt/air-oil-fuel filters are on task for this coming weekend.

The Torino's fuel filler neck seal has been replaced. I haven't driven it hardly at all since getting that fixed and I need to put some gas in it and drive it, but without AC in that car it might sit quite a bit until fall. Looking at 103-105 all week long here in Wichita Falls so yeah, it's just not going to get driven. Maybe I should put a little Sta-Bil in the tank and disconnect that fresh one year old battery I just put in March 19th.

I'm leaning away from the Ecotec and towards the 2200 Cavalier engine. I think with a 4-speed automatic (as equipped in the 96-02 Cavaliers) and the 3.05 final drive, it would do very well. Also wouldn't have that whole Ecotec bellhousing pattern problem to deal with, and no wiring hassles because the 2.2 was standard fare from 1993-1996 in the Century and Ciera. A warm air intake, free flowing cat and muffler (but still quiet and stock sounding), better sized tires and wheels (I'm thinking 215/60R16 and lighter weight alloys from a 05+ LaCrosse or Lucerne and then stick domed plastic Olds Rockets stickers over the center caps) will go a long way.

The 3100 also needs valve cover gaskets replaced and I think I'll do it anyway since they're cheap to get, easy to replace, will save me from topping off oil as much, and a dry clean engine will resell easier after I pull it.

By the way, I use a little app called FuelLog on my Android phone to keep track of fuel and repairs. I paid extra for the Pro version just to get the extra graphs and things and to be able to enter specific costs for things like oil changes and tires and whatnot. It's very much worth it in my opinion. I'm sure there are other similar apps that help. Reminds me, I need to get my receipts out of the Suburban and get all that stuff added in, since I changed phones and forgot to export my records from that. It's still getting the same 14ish in town and 17ish on the highway and unless it drops substantially I think that's as good as it gets.

occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

I've got the cavalier motor you speak of. It is a nice one and I have reaped the benefits of it over the years. they WAI may not do as much as I would like to think. I did an experiment with it a while back and saw a gain of around 3% which isn't much. My best tank was 37mpg and 530miles.

Mine has also been very reliable. I have 253,000 miles on it and have yet to crack open the motor. she does burn a little oil but I figure the rings are shot (and have been for a while).

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote