Almost blew my tires today. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86
I realized that somethind was rotten in the state of Denmark
And thats why I live in Finland - not stinky poo at all here. (unless the wind is blowing in from Russia)

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #12
Registered Member

Digital vs. Analog

Back when this became an important realization at GasSavers, I sprung for a decent, racing-grade guage.

The gauge housing has a rubber surround to protect it from getting battered, and it holds the pressure until you press a button to release the air it's stored. I once had a digital keychain guage, but it was fairly unreliable and gives the "digital effect" -- e.g. digital speedometers. Sometimes a number needs a visual reference around it (analog).

It's spot-on -- and if you're fiddling with lining-up the guage inlet in cold weather, the design lets you get the maximum value stored to compare with the next tire once you get it on there properly.

I found it at the Auto-Parts store for about $25. Now all I need is that "laser" (Dr. Evil reference) that gives you temperatures of it's target.

Rh77

Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 AM   #13
Registered Member

Brian O'Conan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
And thats why I live in Finland - not stinky poo at all here. (unless the wind is blowing in from Russia) pic of Conan
I still can't believe that Conan O'Brien probably helped your PM, Tarja Halonen, win the election. Now that's funny.

Be Cool my Babies.

RH77
Old 11-20-2006, 04:46 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I have my tires at 55psi. The compressor only costs $30.
You paid too much - JobLot or Harbor Freight for about $12 and they get up to about 100psi but if you run them too long they over heat and can blow the hoses or pop the one way inlet valve. Ask me how I know . . . but they are simple to fix most of the time. I use them to precharge an air tank because when it is cold outside I don't like to wait for the air to get in the tire plus it gives the moisture to seperate in the tank so it doesn't get into the tire.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:58 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
You paid too much - JobLot or Harbor Freight for about $12 and they get up to about 100psi but if you run them too long they over heat and can blow the hoses or pop the one way inlet valve. Ask me how I know . . . but they are simple to fix most of the time. I use them to precharge an air tank because when it is cold outside I don't like to wait for the air to get in the tire plus it gives the moisture to seperate in the tank so it doesn't get into the tire.
Yea I bought one of those and the you're right on about the hoses. The gauge is extremely inacurrate above 40 PSI. Spend the money for an accurate gauge if you're planning on running max sidewall pressure or greater.

RH77 "So what exactly would happen if we ran 80 psi in our tires? (I know it's a dumb question, but I need a mental picture). Nothing when running Dunlop 185/70/R14. The ride is harsh.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:58 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I still can't believe that Conan O'Brien probably helped your PM, Tarja Halonen, win the election. Now that's funny.

RH77
Well . the other guy that was campaigning against her is a bit of a no personaitly , personality.
I dont think anyone even knew his name.,,,, and to win , i think thats important.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:08 AM   #17
Registered Member

Around here we have Sheetz gas stations that have of all things free air machines. They are the kind that you dial the PSI that you want and it rings as it pumps and when it stops ringing you are at the set PSI. Of the 4 Sheetz that I have stopped at and filled air (I always check my air when I am there) the closest to real PSI was 10 off. One I had to set the dial at 80 PSI to get to 50. So I always only trust my gage.

Seeing that I can see how many people are driving around with 1/2 flat tires if they trust those things.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
80 PSI - well at some point the bond between the rubber and the cords starts to bread down and let go then a bubble appears and the tire blows. When I had my brother do the inside patch to my left rear tire I was amazed at how thin the tread area was and the side wall was pretty thin also. Considering a steel air tank max pressure is 125psi putting 80 in a rubber tire and then bouncing it down the road . . . hummmmmmm.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
...Now with the cheap-*** gas-station pumps, is it even possible to inflate a tire to a dangerous level...

RH77
I havne't been in the back room of too many gas stations, but the ones i have been in all have big standard duty air compressors. The one at the station I work at is a big heavy duty Craftsman one. Plenty large enough in my opinion. BTW I think most stations keep thier air tanks at extra high pressure to keep filling times down. If they only had 45 psi in them, it would take a lot longer to fill than if they kept it at 100 psi.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
are there any key chain gauges that are garentied to be acurite? we have a drawer full of the pen style gauges, and I think we finely tossed the ones that didn't agree with each other.
I tend to top off my tires with a hand pump with a gauge on it, it's a little slow, but extreamly portable, and it's rather acurite up to something like 150psi.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote