alternative to SCAN gauge - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

alternative to SCAN gauge

This new program callled REV connects to your obd2 port with an iphone or ipod touch to give you multiple readings incliding fuel comsumption and engine load

heres a link
http://hackaday.com/2008/09/27/use-rev-on-your-iphone-to-read-your-obd-ii-port/

has a short video showing what it does
this is pretty neat for those that want more out of their ipod or for those who just want more usage of a fuel monitor

domggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

It's $39.99 for the full version, but a free version that has fewer options is available. Wonder how much I can get a refurb iPod Touch for... Of course you still need the hookup to OBD II.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

check craiglist i always go there first because its pretty easy to barter and generally its the best deal you can get no one is really firm most people jus want things gone for quick cash
domggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
The iPod and wifi obd2 make it almost not worth it from a cost standpoint.

Especially when a Pentium 2 laptop can be had for under $20 and the obd2 scanner for about the same and a PC allows you to use open source OBD2 software. There are groups of people that offer open source OBD2 programming for select models.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Especially when a Pentium 2 laptop can be had for under $20 and the obd2 scanner for about the same
Links?

The closest I've seen for the OBD2 scanner was the common Chinese unit based on a fake ELM327 sold on eBay for $30. I got one and it barely works with any software, doesn't work right, and only worked on one of three cars I tried it on.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

I was able to pick up a 327 scanner on ebay for about $22 with shipping. It works with all software I've found that supports the 327 chip. Some programs were a bit of a pain but it wasn't actually going into 327 mode.

I'm really trying to find the open source obd2 programming site. I should have bookmarked it.

**edit**
Found it!
http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

Since I know the Durango can be reflashed via the opd2 port, I wonder if I could make it work with this program? Nice thing about OpenPort is that it can datalog to MicroSD without a laptop since it has a standalone processor on it.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

An iPod Touch is cheap enough and arguably a lot more useful than a Pentium 2 Laptop (not to mention fitting in the car easier), but the cheapest ODB II to wifi adapter that's listed as compatible is $150! That's more than I got my SG2 for. Ouch.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I was able to pick up a 327 scanner on ebay for about $22 with shipping. It works with all software I've found that supports the 327 chip.
Can you check your eBay history and get the username who you bought it from? I'd consider buying another one, at that price and knowing that it works well.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

I looked on eBay. I found my seller and he ships from the US. He is about double the price now though.

It looks exactly like the cheap Chinese one on there for $28. I think that might be the one I own. What programs could you not get to work with it? I'll try them out!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Registered Member

I only ever got two programs to even vaguely talk to it, and they weren't dependable.

Mine looks like this:

Here's my own photos of its innards: