aluminum vs. steel - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Just brought home a set of 14" steel wheels and tires. The difference in weight between the steel and comparable alum. was 4 lbs. per rim. If you do lots of city driving the lighter mass might be a help, but $35 more a rim and the fact my commute is 2/3 highway got me to pass on alumn. Several eng. were questioned and the verdict was once your rolling the weight becomes a non factor. Plus with steel wheels you can run a more aero. hubcap.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
the standard price for used civic hx rims (aluminum 14x5.5) is $200 without tires.

standard price for the same size stealies used is either free or $10 for a set of 4. so if you are only looking to save money its not worth it.

if you want something that looks better or performs better in 1st and 2nd gear then a well selected set of aluminum wheels is worth every penny. also if the aluminum has the right clear coat on it(factory is usually good enough) then you dont have to worry about corrosion at all.

OT: ive got a quick riddle, what is lighter a gram of aluminum or a gram of steal???

Old 05-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
the standard price for used civic hx rims (aluminum 14x5.5) is $200 without tires.

standard price for the same size stealies used is either free or $10 for a set of 4. so if you are only looking to save money its not worth it.

if you want something that looks better or performs better in 1st and 2nd gear then a well selected set of aluminum wheels is worth every penny. also if the aluminum has the right clear coat on it(factory is usually good enough) then you dont have to worry about corrosion at all.

OT: ive got a quick riddle, what is lighter a gram of aluminum or a gram of steal???
Their both the same
=)

Now a gram of supertonium would be a different case.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #14

When driving for fuel efficiency I don't really think brake cooling is an issue - at least for hypermilers. Less braking equals more coasting = better MPG. Right?

I prefer the racing disc hubcaps. Of course opinions are like nostrils, everyone seems to have at least two..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Cast or forged, the primary advantages to aluminum are that for the same size of wheel, they can be lighter, and they also permit a more open design for better brake ventillation.

Ask for weight specs before buying any aluminum wheel. If they can't tell you what they weigh, you probably want something else if weight is your primary concern.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

thisisntjared : Well everyone knows that steal is heavier!!! Wait a second, what the hell are you talking about? Steal?!?! Perhaps you meant steal. And for that matter, what the hell am I talking about?!?! A gram is a gram is a gram!! I remember the pound of feathers vs. the pound of lead from back on the playground too... Nice try!!

Odieturbo: Yeah, I lived in Michigan before moving to Japan. The roads there were heavily salted. As a result the roads are always in decay and the cars are always rusted.

To everyone else, thanks for the great information. I guess that as with most things, there is no real definitive answer. If I do end up changing wheels, it will be after I have compared the weights of all the rims compatible with my car. That being said, I probably won't be faced with this decision anytime soon.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
Registered Member

Lol. Weights are usually available from the manufacturer. Who cares what it's made out of? If it's lighter, it's lighter.

They make stock wheels narrower than 6.5"? hahaha.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:07 AM   #17
Site Team

How many miles would you have to drive to save the gas from the extra money you spend on aluminum wheels?

BTW I prefer steel wheels because 98% of the time they can be repaired with a hammer if you hit a big pothole. Also when it is time to refurbish, a spraypaint can from the hardware store is all you need.

-Bob C.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:47 AM   #18
Registered Member

I think the returns are more obvious if a person is looking for a second set of wheels for winter tires. At $50 or so for each remount, having a second set of wheels can save $100/year, so relatively inexpensive aluminum wheels could pay for themselves in 4-6 years.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
How many miles would you have to drive to save the gas from the extra money you spend on aluminum wheels?
Don't forget boosted resale value and psychic income... They might pay out pretty quickly...