Am I making the right decision in getting a Civic? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Am I making the right decision in getting a Civic?

Hi,

Well, I've been researching what car I'll be getting in a few weeks and I've come to a decision. For the longest time I was going to get a Geo or Chevy Metro, but after doing lots of research I've decided I'll be getting a 2001 or 2002 Honda Civic hatchback with an automatic transmission.

Here are the things I want in my next car:
-Safety: The Civic is safer than the Metro.
-Automatic Transmission: Both cars have automatic versions.
-Very Fuel Efficient: The Civic is more fuel efficient than the Metro, according to the EPA. (2001 & 2002 Civic hatchback = 30 city / 36 hwy, 1996-2001 Geo/Chevy Metro = 26 city / 31 hwy)
-Very Inexpensive: The Metro is less expensive than the Civic. This is the only thing I can see as a negative about the Civic, but one bonus will be that the Civic will have a higher resale value than the Metro if I ever decide to resell the Civic.
-Able to carry 4 occupants: Both cars can carry 4 occupants, but the Civic has more interior space than the Metro.
-Must be made after 1996 so a ScanGauge can be used with it.
-Must be a hatchback for work related reasons. Both the Civic and Metro had hatchback models.
-Must be familiar to mechanics if it ever needs to be worked on: The Civic has more mechanics that are familiar with it than the Metro, I assume.
-Must have good availability of parts if any repairs are needed: The Civic has more parts than the Metro, I assume.
-Must have good availability of aftermarket parts for modifications: The Civic has more aftermarket parts than the Metro, I assume.
-Must cost very little to insure: The Civic will cost less for me to insure than the Metro.

I've also owned two Civics in the past so it'll be like an old friend.

Am I missing anything here? What do you think?
Thanks
Wayneburg

Wayneburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

I would try to get a manual if possible.

But yeah of course Civics are better then Metros.

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Physical issues with getting a manual. Man I would love one though.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneburg View Post
Physical issues with getting a manual. Man I would love one though.
Then the Civic is an even better decision. I feel unsafe trying to merge onto the freeway with my Metro and its a Manual, I cant imagine how much worse it is with an auto. I driven Auto Civics. They arent barn burners but they get onto the freeway confidently enough and that alone is worth it I think.

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am a little biased because I really like the metros (first and second cars were metros) there is also one other factor but if you are worried about safety then it isn't much of one. the metro came with a 3cyl option which means that you could get 50mpg (that was on the 5 spd and it may vary by year) your power was next to nothing but that goes with the territiory.

that being said, I think the civic is actually a little better. you will pay more for it but it will go longer and like you said, if you ever have to sell it, your money will come back to you. for over all fuel efficiency and longevity, I would go with the honda.

there is still something about those little egg shaped cars (metros) that just makes me grin. yea, I'm weird

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

Drive the generation you're thinking of buying... I hated the '05, very, very poor visibility for me, limited rear visibility, head was level with the side pillars, and felt like I was way too low down to see very far up the road. This was with being 6'1" and after adjusting the seat to get me behind the wheel, felt like I was nearly laying down. Felt very vulnerable from lack of visibility. Also found the ride overly harsh, and the engine seemed likewise. It was kinda like being dragged down the road in a 55 gallon barrel with slits for windows...

Now I'm used to economy cars, I'll put up with harshness to gain responsiveness and efficiency... it just didn't seem like a good compromise in that generation of civic.

I have ridden in earlier civics I thought were a lot better. I wouldn't buy one on the used market around here though due to several factors, high price for relatively well abused examples mean they actually represent poor value for a "run it into the ground, CPR it and run it into the ground some more" car shopper, and that they have a high theft rate, and draw too much police attention round here also. Reliability reputations cut no ice with me after 10-12 years and 150,000 miles they have the same alternator and starter brands in as some other cars, suspension rubbers etc aren't immortal.. basically everything starts dying off just the same as on any other vehicle.

If you can find one cheap with low miles from the mythical little old lady in Pasadena then go for it if you like it, if not, look for better value elsewhere. (Hint, tuners don't seem to like Echos/Yarises)

All IMO, YMMV etc.

Road Warrior
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

your missing: civics are easier to fix and if you run to any problems, honda-tech.com has alot of info and help needed.

parts are also cheaper and are everywhere since lots of people go for swaps and leave the D series at their garage
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

You must not live in the US...I'm almost 100% sure that the USDM Civic did not have a hatchback model in 2001 and the 2002 was only available in Si trim with manual transmission only...
Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAteam View Post
You must not live in the US...I'm almost 100% sure that the USDM Civic did not have a hatchback model in 2001 and the 2002 was only available in Si trim with manual transmission only...
Wow you're right. It came in a coupe. I don't know why I thought it was a hatchback. Oh well. I'll still be getting one.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I have ridden in earlier civics I thought were a lot better. I wouldn't buy one on the used market around here though due to several factors, high price for relatively well abused examples mean they actually represent poor value for a "run it into the ground, CPR it and run it into the ground some more" car shopper, and that they have a high theft rate,
Quote:
and draw too much police attention round here also.
That's a concern I share with the civic where I live. I'm in an area where the local gang bangers like to customize these cars. But, I plan to do some things to my car that will be very "Un-gang banger-like." I'm considering putting a boat tail on it. I'll probably get pulled over for having a foreign object projecting out of the rear of my car.

Quote:
Reliability reputations cut no ice with me after 10-12 years and 150,000 miles they have the same alternator and starter brands in as some other cars,
Speaking of things under the hood...

Does anyone know if the alternator in a 2001 or 02 civic constantly runs? Can it be disabled or can its belt be isolated from the engine while the alternator is not in use? I don't want the alternator to constantly be adding to the engine's mechanical workload if the battery is charged.

Can an integrated starter alternator be installed on a 2001 or 02 civic?

I assume the radiator fan is electric. Does it run constantly and can it be hooked up to a thermostat? I don't want the fan to constantly be draining the battery if the engine doesn't need cooling.

Are the air conditioner and the heater one unit in the 2001 and 02 civic? I want to remove the heater because I don't need it since I live in the desert south west.

Where is the air conditioner located? I'd like to locate it somewhere else in the car if it is located in the engine compartment. The engine compartment gets hot. I makes no sense to put the air conditioner in there.