Am I understanding this about charging car batteries correctly? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #41
Site Team / Moderator

Re: Am I understanding this about charging car batteries correctly?

No, that's factory. I know I've seen those plugged into my fuse blocks before, I just never needed to mess with them. The wiring harnesses of those cars were universal. You had wiring for almost every option, even when you purchased a base model vehicle. For example, I can upgrade my Regal's wipers to intermittent wipers by simply replacing the dashboard switch and replacing the wiper motor with one for a car with delay. Its probably there to power something that your car does not have. My only other thought, is that the wire is the right color (I think)... Does your lighter socket work when that is disconnected?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

I believe what you have is the basic key in/seat belt warning buzzer. An upgrade to the chime/headlight warning module should be pretty simple.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Hah! You know, that connector might just be the cigarette lighter. Mine is missing because I need to repair the tray (and anyway the stick shift makes it less accessible) and I installed two better ones elsewhere...so I wouldn't know if it was unplugged or not. I'll have to check that out.

Speaking of wipers, I bought the last new intermittent wiper switch available for my car in the whole world (). I thought I'd just plug it in and be done, but you think I need the appropriate wiper motor too? I haven't tried yet.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

Yes, the delay circuit is integrated in the wiper motor. If the wiper motor had previously been replaced, its possible you might have one with a delay circuit in it, but chances are you don't have the proper unit.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #45
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Any guess what the orange plug with the white wire is? It was unplugged until recently when I finally found the keyed slot where it fits. I haven't noticed any difference.

https://picasaweb.google.com/fistula...57956937718402
[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5BaI1E46myc/TfdZ8jLUWoI/AAAAAAAAADQ/WsnZevdiWpY/s800/IMG_6691.JPG[IMG]
I figured it out. When that's plugged in, my amber turn signal lights also act as brake lights. They behave exactly as the combined turn/brake lights on cars with no amber rear turn signals would behave. I guess the plug is part of the universal wiring harness for cars equipped both ways. It must have been taped or zip-tied up under the dash and I dislodged it when I did my big project, resulting in me wondering what it belongs to.

That's good to know. In the future I can use that for hooking up a trailer instead of having to wire in an electronic adapter box.