Another change in the top 10 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2006, 06:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Another change in the top 10

Basjoos jumps to the top 10 by .03 MPG. It's quite the battle for the top 3 spots.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

Isn't it?

I've noticed sometimes there's an order change as a result of old tanks falling off the end of the 90 day calculation.

Dan hasn't filled up in a couple of weeks, and neither have I. Basjoos filled up 5 days ago and the order didn't change then, but perhaps his 06/05/2006 64.3 mpg tank just fell off the end of his 90-day figure.

If I don't fill up in the next couple of weeks, my 90 day calc is going to drop slightly, when my 06/08/2006 75.57 mpg tank falls off the end.

It's one of the drawbacks of the 90-day approach, but I still think it's preferable (from a carrot & recognition perspective) to only using a cumulative lifetime mpg calculation.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Prolly tomorrow I will post my latest tank. Prolly not high enough to shift things around. Can't wait until my first tank drops off. Then things will get interesting.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Isn't it?

I've noticed sometimes there's an order change as a result of old tanks falling off the end of the 90 day calculation.

It's one of the drawbacks of the 90-day approach, but I still think it's preferable (from a carrot & recognition perspective) to only using a cumulative lifetime mpg calculation.
Yea, all the varibles make it fun to watch you guys swapping places. The 90 day approach let you drop those tanks were you were testing stuff. That always brings my tank average down but short term pain for longterm gain

On a side note does anyone know of a way to get the top ten from when it was first implemented? It would be neat to track the gains on a yearly basis. The gains that have been made here in the last 6 month is pretty incredible.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

TFC: Total Fuel Consumption

Saving gas also uses earth-friendly operated machinery, such as biking, mass transit, and hoofing it. IMHO, I think the top 10 should take into consideration how often the contestant uses alternative ways of transport -- so in the meantime, the 90-day average punishes those who use a low amount of fuel over the course.

I know, I know, this is about the car/driver achieving good mileage in and of themselves, but for some, the bottom line is reducing emissions, overall.

I'll admit that I take useless trips which would put me in the lower classes (I just like to drive -- cars and driving is a passion of mine, and doing so efficienty is an additional interest).

RH77
Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Saving gas also uses earth-friendly operated machinery, such as biking, mass transit, and hoofing it. IMHO, I think the top 10 should take into consideration how often the contestant uses alternative ways of transport -- so in the meantime, the 90-day average punishes those who use a low amount of fuel over the course.

I know, I know, this is about the car/driver achieving good mileage in and of themselves, but for some, the bottom line is reducing emissions, overall.

I'll admit that I take useless trips which would put me in the lower classes (I just like to drive -- cars and driving is a passion of mine, and doing so efficienty is an additional interest).

RH77
Ric I been thinking about you TFC or TEC(energy) and thought I throw this out. I really don't know if it could be done or if it would get to complicated or if folks would want to.

How about a section like the garage that is total engergy consumption. With a point system that tracks the carbon foot print. In this section you're not tracking mileage(got that covered. I guess we could have a link to the % EPA values or give points based on % over EPA) but get points based on catergories. Examples:

Telecommute 20 points
Bike/Walk 15
Mass transit 10
Carpool 5

You could also include home furnishing CFL,HW heater Blankets,Solar etc.
You could do a rolling average just like the garage. I know that when I track mileage I do better than when I don't the same thing applies here.
Just a thought. Comments
Old 09-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Ric I been thinking about you TFC or TEC(energy) and thought I throw this out. I really don't know if it could be done or if it would get to complicated or if folks would want to.

How about a section like the garage that is total engergy consumption. With a point system that tracks the carbon foot print. In this section you're not tracking mileage(got that covered. I guess we could have a link to the % EPA values or give points based on % over EPA) but get points based on catergories. Examples:

Telecommute 20 points
Bike/Walk 15
Mass transit 10
Carpool 5

You could also include home furnishing CFL,HW heater Blankets,Solar etc.
You could do a rolling average just like the garage. I know that when I track mileage I do better than when I don't the same thing applies here.
Just a thought. Comments
I was thinking of the same thing -- the GasLog data could be sourced for the new database and the 90-day average and everything else could remain the same setup. Sounds complicated and high-maintenance now that I think about it. Depends on interest in it tho...

RH77