Any one have a Dodge Neon ?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Any one have a Dodge Neon ??

I just joined this forum. Very good ideas and smart people. I have a 2000 Dodge Neon. I was just wondering if any of you have a Neon. I would like to get some ideas if I could.

badgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

Badgett - you should add a garage entry for your car. Gives people an easy way to click over and see your car from your postings...

Add Garage Entry

I don't know if Matt has plans to do this, but it would be cool to be able to sort the garage by make or do a keyword search. Then you could find all the Fords, or Yarises or whatever.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

ok , good idea. I know dodge is not known for gas mileage but my neon responds well to FE improvements. I was just trying to get my car to 50mpg. I know I can do it. It is currently getting from 30 to 34 depending on driving. I want to do better.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Supporting Member

The best thing for you to do is read this

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...mile-1510.html

nothing works better than the driver mod. You should also seriously consider a scangauge. There have been some older SG1's selling on ebay for around $50-60 and there functionally the same as the SG2 except for a few features. I purchased an SG2 together with 2 other people so that I could afford it. We're each using it for 2 months and then swap.

If you want to start modding right away, try indexing the plugs and an HAI.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

Here's a rather complicated mod that this Neon owner says gets him 50+ mpg city & hwy. He apparently made a home-brew hybrid.

http://www.21ponies.com/

There's a preview video that gives you some hints of what he did.

EDIT: hrmmm... about 40 seconds into the preview you get a look under the hood, and it sure doesn't look like a Neon motor. Looks more like a 3-cyl turbo. Probably it's a diesel, since he mentions you'll like the project if you're interested in diesel technology.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
Registered Member

checked out the info you suggested. The info. helps a lot but the 50mpg neon is too much work. I don't have all the equipment he has for doing jobs like that. And you were right. That's not a neon motor. I want to do it with what I have.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Here's a rather complicated mod that this Neon owner says gets him 50+ mpg city & hwy. He apparently made a home-brew hybrid.

http://www.21ponies.com/

There's a preview video that gives you some hints of what he did.

EDIT: hrmmm... about 40 seconds into the preview you get a look under the hood, and it sure doesn't look like a Neon motor. Looks more like a 3-cyl turbo. Probably it's a diesel, since he mentions you'll like the project if you're interested in diesel technology.

Website name kinda defines what he's using for power 21hp turbo diesel. Looks kinda link kubota blue to me. Could be a yanmar.

I was unimpressed with his results. For a lot less effort I can get only 2mpg less at higher speeds. However I'm sure there is more room in his combo for improvement and the city mileage will be hard for me to hit.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
ELF
Registered Member

Badgett, have you seen this site yet? http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/

This guy claims 60 or better mpg in his neon test car. some of his ideas may be a little different but since hes using a neon for a test car some of the stuff should work for you.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

I believe some of what he says. The great thing about the neon , I guess this is why lots of people test with them , is that it responds dramatically to little adjustments. Mine does also but it doesn't keep it's consistancy. That is why his neon has such a big difference in it's best mileage (like 62mpg) and the worst (like 24 mpg). I going to keep reading. I am going to take my air temp. sensor out of the air box and place it close to the engine to warm it up. I think this will help lean the mixture some. Think it will help ??