Anyone got a dyno? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Testing

So he knew the wind was a factor so take measurements on non-windy days - the dyno testing is not going to give you wind, only a wind tunnel is and a dyno would have to be a 4 wheel dyno and work consistantly to be accurate. Better to pick a consistant route and drive it the same way usually late at night or early morning when there is little or no traffic. Will have to try using a window fan to blow over a wheel well to see what the air currents do and will need some smoke or water spray to see the air flow. Of course a few telltails would work pretty good for checking air flow at speed with either a chase car or an outside camera on a stick. Actually a little digital camera would work great and I have a couple of them would tell me what is going on under my tail section.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #32
*shrug*

Goodness gracious, the point

Goodness gracious, the point is to not have wind! That's the whole idea, is that a dyno won't give you wind. It's not for measuring aero mods, it's for measuring engine mods and fuel types.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #33
Registered Member

dyno

Yeah well I said that already - get the tuning of the engine on the dyno and the rest you have to do on the road. We are in agreement already. Btw with the timing advance you usually get the idle going up as it advances with the same amount of fuel. The intake manifold Vacuum Gauge was good for this also - had that in the Rambler - turns out 45mph was a really sweet speed for that engine.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #34
*shrug*

We agree on dyno tuning, but

We agree on dyno tuning, but I am also saying that there is no way to test whether dino oil or synthetic gives better mileage without doing something as controlled as running the same car on a dyno with the different oils.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:10 PM   #35
Registered Member

Humm

Yeah oil is a good question - my buddy with the F150 and a Prelude with the VTEC swears by Mobile One then he changes it every 3k miles which is a total waste - I have used Castrol regular and then switched to the syntec blend and really didn't see any change and I have recorded every drop of gas and oil added to the car for 12 years and was spread sheeting it for a while. The oil additives made a difference but they take a while to start working usually a few hundred miles at least but you see the idle go up when it does. I thought that someone already did dyno testing on oil already. I still can't figure out why they threw the oil away after testing it all. I pour my old oil back into the new oil containers for recycling . . . someday.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #36
*shrug*

I take all my old oil to the

I take all my old oil to the local recycling center, go earth.