Anyone here have a Integra GSR? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #21
Registered Member

Here's a biased opinion;
I have a Mazda MX-3 with a swapped 2.5 liter V6 that will out perform an Integra GSR in every way. It cost ALOT less than a GSR, with swap, and suspension, etc.. and no one knows what it is, so I don't have to worry about theft. I'm averaging about 27 MPG, because I drive fast, but it gets 33 MPG on a the freeway. I was just playing with a Teggy GSR 2 days ago, because he was giving me a hard look. He didn't look like he knew what left him behind.
If you're interested, check out mx-3.com.

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowljesse View Post
Here's a biased opinion;
I have a Mazda MX-3 with a swapped 2.5 liter V6 that will out perform an Integra GSR in every way. It cost ALOT less than a GSR, with swap, and suspension, etc.. and no one knows what it is, so I don't have to worry about theft. I'm averaging about 27 MPG, because I drive fast, but it gets 33 MPG on a the freeway. I was just playing with a Teggy GSR 2 days ago, because he was giving me a hard look. He didn't look like he knew what left him behind.
I just did somereading on a MX3

Very interesting that the V6 in it is only a 1.8. I was interested in a SVT Contour because of its 2.5 V6. I'm a fan of engines that are unique. Like I said though I dont want another 4 door car since I already have one.

I'll definately do some more research on the MX3.

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #23
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
If you are gonna waste $2000 on a honda engine, why not swap in something with some power like a VW 1.9TDI or a 4g63? a 1.9 in a civic or teg should make for 40-60 mpg, and the 4g63 shouldn't be much different than the TypeR, with more power. Remember, VTEC is like waiting for bad sex.
oh yea your right. those other motors are direct bolt on operations without any cutting or welding of new mounts and finding custom axles....

it seems like a lot of people on here dont know or havent driven the performance types of hondas. you are either overweight or have not driven one of the performance vtec equiped cars by yourself on a track.

i am not going to touch the c5 vs itr topic, that is strictly a matter of opinion and since i havent driven a manual c5 i shouldnt comment.

regarding the regal, thats a matter of opinion if your comparing it to a gsr. i really doubt a gsr and a regal even compare stock for stock. but it seems like you already have your straightline performer, so if you want to get into something that handles and gets ok mpg a gsr might be a good option if you are not in an area with potential theft problems and you dont go to malls.

personally, i think you should make your regal handle better if thats what you are looking for and hold onto your metro and make it return better fuel savings for the daily commute.

as far as the mx3 is concerned, i have never seen any at the track. care to give cliff notes on what they compare to?

anyway, i believe this thread got a tad OT. yes you can get a gsr to 30+mpg highway.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are gonna waste $2000 on a honda engine, why not swap in something with some power like a VW 1.9TDI or a 4g63? a 1.9 in a civic or teg should make for 40-60 mpg, and the 4g63 shouldn't be much different than the TypeR, with more power. Remember, VTEC is like waiting for bad sex.

you're retarded. Honda builds some of the best engines in the world period. Plus an integra engine in a civic bolts in with all factory mounts, factory engine harness etc. It's so easy. However it is not something people do for FE, it's for performance. If you want mileage keep the stock engine.

With bolt ons in my GSR swapped CX I beat my friends GST with 16G. Smaller engine, no forced induction. 4g63's are just strong, that's the only thing good about them.

With a s/c or even a small turbo on the stock SOHC engine many people see an increase in FE, if they can keep their foot out of it. The engine just doesn't have to work as hard to move the vehicle.
thehatchninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's a biased opinion;
If you're comparing a swapped car, then compare a gsr swapped civic, not a GSR. I averaged more MPG's in hatch then in your mx3, and I'm sure it was faster. not hating, KLZE swapped MX3 is no joke, but I've read that those heads don't flow well at all, so if you want to start modding it your options are limited. If you want to mod a swapped civic there is no limit. Also there is maintenance, and availability of parts to consider. VTEC also allows for an economy cam profile and a performance cam profile.

I'm definitely biased, but for good reason. Hondas are great
thehatchninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #26
EH3
Registered Member

for the OP
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7145

Quote:
Here's a biased opinion;
how about some performance numbers to support that claim.

you're insane if you think a KZLE swapped mx3 or probe is going to outperform a GSR in "every way". i have seen near stock GSRs run high 14. they are one of the finest handling stock FWD cars made and have a limitless aftermarket.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatchninja View Post
you're retarded.
Sip the kool-aid much? What I know, when I watch videos, or talk to Japanese people, or see modded cars, is this. Hondas are for rice boys. Convertible Civic with 18?s and 5 colors of paint, and a fart can. Saw it this weekend. Also the Ford Mustangs too. The subarus are the racer boy posers who just want to be put back in the seat. The drifters drop the silvias, with a big exhaust pipe, and a huge FMIC with an aftermarket lip. The Skylines and supras are mostly sleepers, with an exhaust, and an FMIC. The NSX?s are the weekend cruisers of those with money to spare, and the S2K is rarely seen.

Just because a Honda engine will last ?forever?, doesn?t mean that it is the best for the needs listed here. I enjoy watching Twin Ring Motegi videos (about 30 minutes away from me), where they compare the cars. My favorite was when they had the ?everyday? cars, and a crx hatch got beat by a Suzuki Cappucino(F6A-T), meaning 660ccs plus a VERY small turbo, in a light car obviously, but still. The Nissans and Mazdas battled up front while the ITR and the CTR fought for the middle, and the CRX and the Capp brought up the rear.

Yes, I know that the Honda engine bolts into a Honda, I was a ricer once. I know what a ?fast? VTAK powered car feels like. I almost bought a ?modded? Prelude VTEC with 220 hp. I was expecting to be put back in the seat, all I got was someone farting in the engine. I think the salad shooter on my Move was more impressive than the venerable DOHC VTEC high lobe kick. The comparable DSM comes with the same power, and an extra 30-50 are a 10 minute trip to Home Depot away. I remember racing a modded Civic in my GTP when all I had was a FWI. It was nice to see the look on the girls face. I had less in the car than she had in body kit and rims.

Thehatchninja In the same breath, you can say a turbo allows for a performance and an economy setting. I can get really good numbers in my Move when I stay in vacuum, but when I need it, as low as 3000 rpms (VTAK is 5500 right), the turbo sings and I scoot right along. Last I knew, VTEC was just a moving cam, with no real way to adjust for more power, I.E. low and high boost, etc. Slap a turbo on a swapped hatch, and yeah you're fast, but you have $6000 in a motor in a $2000 car. Don?t get in a wreck, or hope you have insurance to cover your mods. And it?s still a Honda, and the kid on the next block has the same thing. And the guy on the "other side of the tracks" thinks that he needs your B1337548c655354 more than you do.

Economy, sure I think that Honda has that down pretty well. When I watch TV here in Japan, I don't see ads for hp, I see ads for MPG, what they do best.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, I know that the Honda engine bolts into a Honda, I was a ricer once. I know what a ?fast? VTAK powered car feels like. I almost bought a ?modded? Prelude VTEC with 220 hp. I was expecting to be put back in the seat, all I got was someone farting in the engine. I think the salad shooter on my Move was more impressive than the venerable DOHC VTEC high lobe kick. The comparable DSM comes with the same power, and an extra 30-50 are a 10 minute trip to Home Depot away. I remember racing a modded Civic in my GTP when all I had was a FWI. It was nice to see the look on the girls face. I had less in the car than she had in body kit and rims.
The problem here is that a 220HP Prelude motor is just not going to be impressive in a 3000 pound Prelude. Swap that same motor into a CRX, and you are dealing with a completely different beast. With my scrappy 1988 CRX with a B18C5 under the hood (internally bone stock, NO TURBO), I EASILY beat GT Mustangs, yet get over 30MPG on the freeway. And the car just takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Add to that the fun factor of having all this in a small, highly maneuverable car and you can see that it is a combination of traits that is going to be hard to match with pretty much ANYTHING out there. Yes, there are going to be faster cars out there. But in all likelyhood, they are going to get FAR worse mileage and be some big, gigantic tank of a car. I don't know about you. But I just don't like big cars. If I wanted a V8, then an LS1 or Q45 swap in a Nissan 240SX is about all I could tolerate size-wise.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 AM   #29
EH3
Registered Member

i do believe this thread is officially now completely jacked.

to the OP, an integra is quite aerodynamic. as posted above in my link, my last tank was 38mpg. i'm working on another 38-39mpg tank this week as well, so it's not a fluke. there are probably even other things that can be done to hit the magic 40 with a GSR. during the winter, while beating on the car regularly and driving 70-75mph i was averaging 31-33mpg. also i've found that having A/C on has a minimal affect on FE.

i love my car. with the b16/ITR gearing it's extremely fun to drive yet it still gets great FE at 70mph on the highway. yes, it's revving at over 4k rpm at that speed.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bbasso
Did I Hear TYPE R ?

I have an 01 ITR with exhaust and a CAI, with those mods on the stock ECU I have seen 37.2 mpg with easy driving on the HWY. I would think a GSR could get into the 30s w/o any problems.