Anyone try Vredestein Quatrac 2 LRR tires? Or looking for sugg. on other LRR tires - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

I just got some new tires myself. I wanted some LRR tires but couldn't get any that fit the Green Machine, and couldn't wait any longer. I wish that I could have waited longer, because I really don't like the new tires. They ride smoother, quieter, and handle better, but they just don't coast like the old bald ones did. I remember being able to turn the engine off at 30 mph and being able to coast 1/4 mile to my house and still be going 25ish. None of that anymore....

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2 View Post
Why would a tire with a Wear 200 rating be considered LRR. To me, wear 200 would indicate a soft compound which wouldn't seem to be conducive to LRR.

There are many tires out there with Wear 500-600 ratings. With 50-60 psi in these, it does not appear to leave much room for LRR improvement.

On top of that, Wear 200 is near the bottom of any list for tire life. Wear ratings this low are usually found on the cheapest highway tires

Why would anyone want a tire that wears out 3 times faster??
60,000 mileage warranty
for both T & H rated
https://www.webtiredealers.com/tires...ed_quatrac.htm

I just ordered 4 in original VX tire size 165/70/13

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Manufacturers are required to provide a wear number. They are not required to use a standardized test to produce this number. So manufacturer A can be using a different test than B. Which allows comparisons between tires within a brand, but is useless between brands.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Good point. In practice, however, it seems that most of the time they are still useful for comparing across brand. 400+ almost always means a tire that's good for a lot of miles.

I don't know that I've seen many with 500-600 ratings.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

Vredestein Quatrac, as the name suggests, is a four season tyre and is marked 'Mud & Snow' to comply with legislation in those countries where snow tyres must be fitted in winter. My own experience of using both Quatrac 2 and now, Quatrac 3, on my Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci is that they are most excellent snow tyres and have got me through the recent heavy snow in the North West of England. If it had got any worse I would have gone to full snows - Snowtrac 3. However, the Quatrac compound is designed to stay soft at low temperatures, which is why they work so well in winter and why they wear out so quickly in warm weather. So why not look at the web site - apollovredestein.com - They have a tyre (sorry 'tire', you won) for every occasion! And you can click on the drop-down lists to find your nearest dealer!

Regards - MikefromRamsbottom.
GasSavers_Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The Mud & Snow designation tells you it has a tread pattern matching specifications for snow. A proper winter tire has a snowflake symbol and is designed with a rubber compound made for snow and cold weather as well as snow tread. At least, that's how it is in the US, I'm not sure if a lot of tires are manufactured/marked differently for sale in different markets.

See the M+S and snowflake symbols below.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quatrac 2 & 3 do indeed carry the snowflake symbol.

It appears that EU regulations do not require a 'temperature' designation - I've never seen temperature markings on tyres sold in the UK. We more worry about rain than temperature! Here's what Vredestein's web site has to say about EU sidewall markings...

HomeFrequently asked questionsWhat do the codes on the tyre sidewall mean?
Frequently asked questions
What do the codes on the tyre sidewall mean?

The codes on the tyre 215/55 R 16 97 V XL mean:

215: tyre width in mm.
55: height / width ratio expressed as percentage
R: radial (particular tyre design)
16: rim diameter in inches
97: load capacity (730 kg)
V: speed symbol (240 km/h)

Other possible codes on a tyre:

XL extra Load (reinforced tyre with an increased load capacity)

RF reinforced (same meaning as Extra Load)

M&S mud and snow tyre (winter tyre)

symbol for winter tyres that comply with the strictest winter requirements

0218929-S approval number according to ECE*-R30

TWI wear indicator (Tread Wear Indicator) minimum tread depth 1.6 mm.

ROTATION indicates the forward driving direction that must be observed when fitting a directional tyre.

INNER SIDE is shown on the side of the tyre that has to be mounted on the inside

The size indication for tyres vans and light lorries (C tyres) is shown according to ECE* Regulation 54 and only deviates little from ECE_R30 for passenger card tyres.

* ECE = Economic Commission for Europe (UNO Institute in Geneva).
GasSavers_Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #18
Registered Member

The temperature part of the UTQG ratings is for temperature of the tire rubber, not weather temperature. I'm not sure I understand it; temperature should be a function of inflation, load, and speed, which are already specified.