Anyone try Vredestein Quatrac 2 LRR tires? Or looking for sugg. on other LRR tires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Anyone try Vredestein Quatrac 2 LRR tires? Or looking for sugg. on other LRR tires

I found a distributor up north who sells them at a pretty good price, and they're one of the few models still available in the VX factory 165/70/13 size. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this tire, I like the fact it is considered LRR and even better it's available in the stock tire size.

Any input would be appreciated, if not this tire, then any other recomendations on a good LRR tire near my stock size.

Thanks

Nick

GasSavers_NickF829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

LRRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickF829
I found a distributor up north who sells them at a pretty good price, and they're one of the few models still available in the VX factory 165/70/13 size. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this tire, I like the fact it is considered LRR and even better it's available in the stock tire size.

Any input would be appreciated, if not this tire, then any other recomendations on a good LRR tire near my stock size.

Thanks

Nick
A few months back, I was very limited with my options and went for the Michelin Energy MXV4 "Green X" tires. RR is definitely down, they're much quieter than the old set, and surprisingly, very capable in the snow (marginal in the rain), and have good dry handling/performance.

Unfortunately, a tire's RR is not generally tested. I've not heard of the brand that you mentioned, but it was mentioned in this thread. "GreanSeal" was to conduct a new test of tires, but here's an old link to a 2003 test (but they didn't test anything smaller than 14" tires).

Hope it helps

RH77

Old 01-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
what are the specs on the tires? wear life and traction? they should be able to get you these numbers, if they are any good, then I would say go for them.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

NHTSA Tyre Ratings - Traction, Temperature & Wear - Vredestein

Traction A

Temperature A

Wear 200
2005 Toyota Prius Package 6
Lifetime Prius MPG 54.5
Best Prius MPG 80.1
FireEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineer
NHTSA Tyre Ratings - Traction, Temperature & Wear - Vredestein

Traction A

Temperature A

Wear 200
Why would a tire with a Wear 200 rating be considered LRR. To me, wear 200 would indicate a soft compound which wouldn't seem to be conducive to LRR.

There are many tires out there with Wear 500-600 ratings. With 50-60 psi in these, it does not appear to leave much room for LRR improvement.

On top of that, Wear 200 is near the bottom of any list for tire life. Wear ratings this low are usually found on the cheapest highway tires

Why would anyone want a tire that wears out 3 times faster??
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

I was rather suprized to find out that the civic vx came new with tires that carried a 180 B B ratting.
lower wear life can meen a number of things, they might have put less tred on to alow for a lighter weight tire, they might have made them softer leading to the tire wearing faster, or I'm sure there are a number of other reasons that a tire might wear faster when you try to get it to role easier.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

Anybody know if it would make a considerable difference to go from a 165/70/13 to a 145/80/13? it's as close to overall diameter as possible, yet requires(or id assume) less force to roll due to the 20mm smaller contact patch. That and its 3lbs lighter per tire then a 165/70/13 so there is a 12lb weight saver right there. The load rating on the stock tire is 963lbs/tire whereas the 145/80 tire is only 853lbs/tire. If you get the gross allowable weight of the car by multiplying the load rating of the tire(853) by 4(no. of tires) to get 3412lbs, then it looks like Id have more then enough of a buffer considering the car itself only weighs 2,000lbs and I don't plan on packing 1412lbs worth of material, ever. Would this be to risky to run the smaller width tire, or should i be ok? Would it make any difference?
GasSavers_NickF829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Registered Member

Nick,
Looks like a good choice to me. Tire is .79 inch narrower. I would have no qualms about their load-carrying ability on your car.

If you buy from a tire store and have them mounted on the car, they may give you static about size not matching your car. I have got around their objections by carrying them in off vehicle to have mounted, balanced etc.
Don't even tell them what vehicle they are for (trailer is a good answer).

Did you read my post here #5 above? Personally I would not buy treadwear 200 rated tires. Look for 500-600 ratings.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

reading this mad me go check out my tires ratings

65,000 mile warrenty Wear 560
Traction-A
Temp - B
I didn't so any research on them at all. just got what was on sale there. 65,000 mile at the rate i drive will mean they will be good for almost 10 years!!

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

who in the world sells a 145/80 13" tire in the US??? if you can find a good tire in that size I say go for it! I would love to get some of those, but I've never seen them, I know diesel VW rabbits came with something simaler to that new, but I've never seen them, my 165/70 13" were hard to find, after calling every single tire store within 35 miles, I found one store that could specail order some from a wear house in chicago that had 23 left, and that modle had been discontinued.