Anyone use just one high beam? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Anyone use just one high beam?

Has anyone here disabled one of their high beam lights to reduce the load on the car battery and to reduce some weight(bulb, housing, wiring)?

Is it illegal to drive with just one working high beam light?

I've tried looking up this information, but I can't seem to find anything.

Any advice?

Thanks

Wayneburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
AMX
Registered Member

The weight of a bulb and wiring would not reduce the weight of the car at all! Also, the mileage savings for reducing the load on the alternator would be very, very, minimal, and seeing how it's a safety issue, I would strongly advise against it.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You are talking about a 5 watt difference in most lighting systems per bulb high vs low beam. Inspection would fail in states that have vehicle inspections. Simpler to switch to LED parming and marker lights and save power there.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

I rarely ever drive on high beams, I can usually see well enough to drive @ rural speed limits on the low beam.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If you want to modify to reduce alternator load, add a switch that disables charging of the battery and charge it when you get home. I thought of it recently and then read here that some people have done such systems, though they did it with a lot more investment (and slightly more advantage) than the way I was thinking of doing it...

I agree with everyone else about the futility and risks of using one high beam.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

Not a great weight and fuel saving tactic.
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok thanks every one. The idea is canned.
Wayneburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
most cars have 60 watt low beams, and 65 watt high beams, or 70/75, but yes, 5 watts each is normal, so you save 10 watts by only using low beams, your tail lights are often at least 5 watts each, along with each of the other marker lights, even the brightest LED's available draw less then one watt each while being used as marker lights, and up to 3 watts while being used as brake lights (compared to 25 watt brakes lights), the 1/3 watt LED's are also brighter then the bulbs they replace, and should last the rest of your life.
And before you ask, LED head lights seem to be in the $500+ range, LED tail light replacements are in the $20-25 range.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
most cars have 60 watt low beams, and 65 watt high beams, or 70/75, but yes, 5 watts each is normal, so you save 10 watts by only using low beams, your tail lights are often at least 5 watts each, along with each of the other marker lights, even the brightest LED's available draw less then one watt each while being used as marker lights, and up to 3 watts while being used as brake lights (compared to 25 watt brakes lights), the 1/3 watt LED's are also brighter then the bulbs they replace, and should last the rest of your life.
And before you ask, LED head lights seem to be in the $500+ range, LED tail light replacements are in the $20-25 range.
just buy a set of hids.
they drop you down to 35w and out out double the power.
they consume alot when first lit but len out to 35 w

SHWINN MOUNTAIN BIKE
GAS SAVER FAT BURNER

TOTAL MILES DISPLACED BY SHWIIN ON THE WAY TO WORK. 45 TOTAL MILES
mkiVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

Wayneburg,
What do you drive? Some vehicles leave the low beam filaments illuminated when the high beams are on. In that situation you are adding 100 or so watts to the low beam load, rather than adding 100 for the highs and offsetting that by removing 100 for the lows.
If your ride has this arrangement you can legally drop out the low beams while the highs are on and reduce the 200 watt high-low load to 100 watt on high only.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote