Automatics and Engine On Coasting... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Automatics and Engine On Coasting...

What you do at the end of the tank to try to avoid going to the pump...you should do that all the time. You'll avoid the pump even more!

There are some automatics that aren't so friendly to engine-on neutral coasting but I don't think they are the majority. My wife's Isuzu's automatic doesn't get enough cooling with the engine at idle RPM.

There's nothing magical going on inside an automatic transmission. If you listen to what your transmission tells you and adjust your behavior to work the way it wants you to then you ought to be fine. Rev-match as you enter D and be aware of how long yours takes to fully engage so you don't try to accelerate before that.

Your friend's unexplained damage could really have been unexplained. If it wasn't slipping for upshifts but was slipping for downshifts...well, 2nd gear uses the same clutches whether you're upshifting or downshifting, doesn't it? That would sound like a random servo or solenoid failure.

I'm not saying that you should do it if you're not comfortable with it, just exploring all the logical issues. You can't drive effectively if you're stressed and worried and forcing yourself to do things you don't want to do.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #12

Re: Automatics and Engine On Coasting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Rev-match as you enter D and be aware of how long yours takes to fully engage so you don't try to accelerate before that.
I'm not saying that you should do it if you're not comfortable with it, just exploring all the logical issues. You can't drive effectively if you're stressed and worried and forcing yourself to do things you don't want to do.
I've been coasting in neutral with (mainly Japanese) auto gearboxes since the 70's and haven't blown one up yet.

Having said that, as THC says, some individual 'boxes react differently to others of the same model due to wear or differing adjustment. You have to shift to suit the individual 'box.

Once again, I agree totally with THC, if you don't want to do it....don't. It's no good for economy if you're driving while stressed.

22over7 is offline   Reply With Quote